Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-02-2011, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
I got this yesterday. I didn't know FW had this attachment it also fits a 15. I also got a monogrammer and with these came two buttonholers which had extra cams. A bag of side clamping attachments and a box of the old singer bottom clamping attachments. Also in the box were three bags of commerical bobbins metal. A book on how to make your own clothes patterns. Pretty good haul I think. So glad to get the monogrammer.
I have a monogrammer but I can't seem to get it to work - I think it needs a different feed dog cover - it is supposed to be the T shaped one not the one that came in the box - haven't tried since I found that out
Old 06-02-2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Lori Peercy
New here but just bought a treadle sewing machine serial number is 3218618 and it needs a new belt where do I go to find one of those?
Hello Lori, can you post a picture of the machine? According to Singer, your machine is from 1879 - if what you have is a Singer that is! You can get belts at any sewing repair shop, on line, or on e-bay. They come as generic 72"s, and you have to cut and fit each belt to your machine.

Hope this helps,

Sorry I forgot to say, but yes it is a Singer. I bought it for $30 in the cabinet, my neighbor said it belonged to her grandmother who passed away in 64 and her mother has had it since. Said it works just needs a belt. Will try to post a picture.

Nancy
Old 06-02-2011, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Suzi, forgive me for being slow... do you own a 15 or a 15 clone? The machine I am looking at is a simple 15.

Are the older 15s as much of a workhorse as the newer ones? I have a 15-91 from about 1951 and I know it is a workhorse. Do you think $75 is too much? :-D
Mine is a Challenge (made in Japan) and sold by Sears, Roebuck and Co. Has to be a 15 (too old to be a clone - lol). And yes, she's a workhorse. I probably shouldn't say this (because if I do she will explode or something) but she has never seen a service person. She is cleaned, oiled and used by me and me alone and if she gets to clattering a bit she's oiled some more. About the only things I have to replace is her belt (are you aware that the belts they make today simply do NOT hold up like they used to?) and her bobbin winding tire.

Considering they cost new (back in the 50's) around $49.99 and considering the machines of today have totally lost their simplicity - I feel that she's worth whatever you want to pay for her. How's that for getting around your question? For $75 she had better be pristine though. IMHO
Old 06-02-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Gary,
Beautiful machine and cabinet, can't find anything that pretty here for less than $200.
I have to agree...in California we can't find hardly anything under $100. The market here is very tight.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
wow.. I have 23 pages to read. But first... let me share some GOOD news....

So I drove my MIL out to do some thrift store shopping today. We got some odds/ends and started home. My MIL said, "Isn't there a little thrift store in the next shopping center". We pulled in. Went into the shop. Sitting RIGHT in front, on the floor with a bunch of baskets was a little dusty black case. I immed. squatted down to look... yup. I ask the man at the counter, "how much is this old sewing machine?" He said, "$10". And I said, "I'll take it!!!!

So I am now the proud owner of a Singer 221 Featherweight, in a nice case, with attachments and manual and the original 1964 bill of sale. Machine is used, but not much. Well loved, and cared for. Professionally serviced, new cord at some point. Musty, dusty, beginnings of mold spots and the usual 221 thread snarl.... that's it. WOW. Happy dance! I'll post pictures when I get it cleaned up.
NO WAY!!! $10!!! Unbelievable!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Old 06-02-2011, 12:18 PM

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/for/2417108482.html

Anyone interested in a nice 66-16?

I don't need another machine, I have picked up three in the last two weeks.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
I got this yesterday. I didn't know FW had this attachment it also fits a 15. I also got a monogrammer and with these came two buttonholers which had extra cams. A bag of side clamping attachments and a box of the old singer bottom clamping attachments. Also in the box were three bags of commerical bobbins metal. A book on how to make your own clothes patterns. Pretty good haul I think. So glad to get the monogrammer.
I have a monogrammer but I can't seem to get it to work - I think it needs a different feed dog cover - it is supposed to be the T shaped one not the one that came in the box - haven't tried since I found that out

I just got a monogrammer and I was faced with the same situation, wrong plate. :shock: :roll:
I also have a professional buttonholer and checked that plate. It has the plate I need so I just swapped plates. :thumbup:
I haven't tried my monogrammer yet (using it on a 500 Rocketeer).
I am hoping to settle down here next week and check out the new toys for the machines. :D :D :D

Blessings,
Sandi
Old 06-02-2011, 12:30 PM

I found this machine in a thrift shop today. I don't know what model it is. I didn't get it because I want to kow if the bobbins and the cover plate will be available. Can anyone help me??

Jan in Texas
Attached Thumbnails attachment-205652.jpe  
Old 06-02-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu

Oh my! Blackside attachments and bobbins!!! How neat :thumbup:
I thought that was what I was seeing! Very cool!
Old 06-02-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
I found this machine in a thrift shop today. I don't know what model it is. I didn't get it because I want to kow if the bobbins and the cover plate will be available. Can anyone help me??

Jan in Texas
Oh my - look at the one next to it! Bobbins and cover plate are available. Billy, on this thread, can help you with that or once you know what the model # of the machine is you can try eBay - they seem to have everything.