Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1701 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 701 1201 1601 1651 1691 1700 1701 1702 1711 1751 ... LastLast
Results 42,501 to 42,525 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pennycandy View Post
    Great pictures. This picture gives a good view of the finger guard.

What is it about kids, hair and scissors? They'll have a heck of a time cutting paper but hair seems to be no problem.
    With dull scissors no less.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pennycandy View Post
    Great pictures. This picture gives a good view of the finger guard.
    That was just a piece of electrical wire DH bent up to fit in a hole on the machines foot shank. The Vindex Special didn't have a hole so he used an electrical connector to hold it. I would like to have something a little nicer but he didn't have much time.

What is it about kids, hair and scissors? They'll have a heck of a time cutting paper but hair seems to be no problem.
    With dull scissors on a 1 1/2 year old no less.

Blog Entries
    The machines I took along were a Franklin Rotary, a Vindex Special, a Singer 127 or 128 what ever that phinx is, a Singer 66 redeye all with no motor boss and a Singer 15. The 15 seems to be pretty old. I should look it up to see the date. I got it thinking I would have a parts machine. Low and behold another Singer 15 was persuaded to come back to life. No Singer 15s for parts. No 15 clones for parts. I still have a few other derelicts around to work over some time. I would take these on the road again in a heart beat. The kids seem drawn to the non-Singer machines but it could have been where I put them on the table.

Miriam, the 128 is the 3/4 size version of the 127 - just like the 99 is the 3/4 size version of the 66.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    Miriam, the 128 is the 3/4 size version of the 127 - just like the 99 is the 3/4 size version of the 66.
    Stuff I can't seem to keep in my head. Thanks. Now maybe I'll remember. It is for sure a 127 - it is one big machine.

Blog Entries
    Miriam, that looks like such fun!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Here you go...one of the guys on FB posted this video...it's a kick to watch them demo how a lockstitch works!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAhmYzmkvcY
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Stuff I can't seem to keep in my head. Thanks. Now maybe I'll remember. It is for sure a 127 - it is one big machine.
    I would love to take little and cute machines but those don't seem to be as derelict for what ever reason. They really aren't that much smaller are they? Just about as heavy, too...

Miriam,

Elaine asked: "Where in IN did Miriam go camping?" I said, "I don't know."

So, where did you go?

Joe

Blog Entries
    Heartnut festival

Blog Entries
    http://southbend.craigslist.org/atq/4022668806.html
    if it was closer I'd go take a look at it
    http://southbend.craigslist.org/fuo/4039965775.html
    and steal this one.......

http://dayton.craigslist.org/atq/4053818092.html

This annoys the *%&$ outta me. It's sold, take the listing down already.
    Anastasia - I like to sew square things.

How do you keep the correct accessories with the right machine, the ones without cabinets?
    Kasey 1937 221-1 Featherweight, Red Eye Singer Treadle 66-1, 2 301's both long and short bed, 403, Free Number 5 Treadle, Jones hand crank Kenmore 158 19131, Viking Lilly 555

Blog Entries
    Karen, I make a little drawstring bag from flannel (or use a Crown Royal bag) and lay them on the bed of the machine before I close the case.

I use one of my two card catalogs to store the accessories for each machines in a labeled drawer that I can pull out and carry to where I am working. To pre-answer, our local library was selling obsolete equipment and sadly these were considered as such. I got the two card catalogs and two 3 by 6 foot heavy walnut tables to match. Twenty dollars for each piece. Great addition to my sewing room.

Quote Originally Posted by Windblown View Post
    How do you keep the correct accessories with the right machine, the ones without cabinets?
    I just came across the neatest idea. It Velcro's shut and it Velcro's over the machine holding it to the machine while protecting the bed. It can be made whatever size you need that will fit. This one is made out of vinyl and that rigid material holds the shape of the storage area, but you can make it out of whatever you have laying around. It is for the foot controller and power cords, but you can make it the size you need for what you want to put in it.
    ~G~

Name:  IMG_0939.JPG
Views: 255
Size:  530.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0969.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  687.1 KB

I like the pedal holder idea- Is there a pattern? I worry about using vinyl. When it degrades it becomes sticky so it might hurt the decals or off gas something acidic. Had this happen with some old suitcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
    I like the pedal holder idea- Is there a pattern? I worry about using vinyl. When it degrades it becomes sticky so it might hurt the decals or off gas something acidic. Had this happen with some old suitcases.
    I am in the process of making one. But it also is one of those things that it would depend on what machine it is going on. A 66 has more room in the harp than a FW or even a 99. I will post it when I have it.
    ~G~

Blog Entries
    Grant;

Love the look of that green Ambassador. Can we please see a picture of him without the cool attachment bag hiding most of him. I have a dark green early Bernina.

Chris
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    Grant;

Love the look of that green Ambassador. Can we please see a picture of him without the cool attachment bag hiding most of him. I have a dark green early Bernina.

Chris
    I thought that I had put some pix on the clone page but I can't find them. I will put a couple there and post here to let you know when I have them there. That was my very first machine and I won't sell it. It's faceplate is my avatar. And that is where my name here on QB came from.
    ~G~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    I thought that I had put some pix on the clone page but I can't find them. I will put a couple there and post here to let you know when I have them there. That was my very first machine and I won't sell it. It's faceplate is my avatar. And that is where my name here on QB came from.
    ~G~
    Thanks so much. Those clones are something else. I have had several and let them go but I have a new to me one that am thinking about keeping but really must release others to new to them homes.

Blog Entries
    I had some quilted fabric and I just made a bag big enough for my foot controller & cord for my machines. Works good but doesn't attach to the arm of the machine.
    TwandasMom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by misseva View Post
    I had some quilted fabric and I just made a bag big enough for my foot controller & cord for my machines. Works good but doesn't attach to the arm of the machine.
    On one machine I have, I use a knitted dishcloth under the foot controller to keep it from scratching up the bed. Pretty sure MIL wouldn't mind this use for her dishcloths. That quilted fabric bag is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Karen, I make a little drawstring bag from flannel (or use a Crown Royal bag) and lay them on the bed of the machine before I close the case.
    Good idea Charlee thanks
    Kasey 1937 221-1 Featherweight, Red Eye Singer Treadle 66-1, 2 301's both long and short bed, 403, Free Number 5 Treadle, Jones hand crank Kenmore 158 19131, Viking Lilly 555

Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
    I use one of my two card catalogs to store the accessories for each machines in a labeled drawer that I can pull out and carry to where I am working. To pre-answer, our local library was selling obsolete equipment and sadly these were considered as such. I got the two card catalogs and two 3 by 6 foot heavy walnut tables to match. Twenty dollars for each piece. Great addition to my sewing room.
    Sad that the modern library removes so much history. Great idea for reuse of the cabinets