Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
WOW! Well, I'm not a "village idiot", but last summer I was a vintage sewing machine illiterate.
Sweetie I have a T-shirt my wife found for me and it says "I am an Idiot in Search of his Village" :lol:

Somehow I think she is trying to tell me something........

Billy
Old 03-14-2011, 02:44 PM

This machine was purchased with a little advice from a member-Thanks for the help. I saw this on craigslist and mentioned I was going to call about the cabinet and wondered if it was worth $100.

AC993461
[ATTACH=CONFIG]169864[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-169859.jpe   attachment-169860.jpe   attachment-169861.jpe  
Old 03-14-2011, 02:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Grandmother23
Went visiting illinois and found a few things that hopped a ride back to Louisiana with me. :mrgreen:
Okay the next time you go shopping swing by and pick me up!!! :shock:

Billy
Old 03-14-2011, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
WOW! Well, I'm not a "village idiot", but last summer I was a vintage sewing machine illiterate.
Sweetie I have a T-shirt my wife found for me and it says "I am an Idiot in Search of his Village" :lol:

Billy
My wife gave me a T-shirt that said about the samething and yes they are trying to tell us something. By the way I have been sewing on my redeye with a new HC. I keep finding the cheap parts machine but never use them for parts, now I will lhave to look for another parts redeye :lol: Glenn
Old 03-14-2011, 02:54 PM

HOLY COW!

What a fantastic sewing machine parade! I CANNOT believe the volume of machines around except where I live!!.. Congratulations to all of you , what beauties and what wonderful stories. . . . it just gets better and better! Thanx guys for sharing!! Brenda
Old 03-14-2011, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by jan on 446
I am wondering about this machine. I have just gotten bit by the older machine bug. I know this is "Vintage" but for some reason it perks my heart! Will appreciate any suggestions! She asked $175 and I think she would come down. She would have to come down a lot for me!
Seller Wrote
"There's a number pressed in the metal on the bottom front of the machine (when you tilt it back from the carrying case base) which I believe is the serial number. It is 507098. My guess is that it's from the 1940's or '50's.

Other writing reads: Distributed by Necchi Elna Sewing Machine Sales USA

Champion Made in USA Universal Motion Cycles 25-75 Model 24

There is an instruction sheet in a plastic bag, along with several zipper foots (feet?), titled: "Unique Zipper Foot Assembly".

The machine looks clean and in good shape. It's very attractive with the beautiful silver detail against the black. I've never sewn with it, so can't tell you anything about how it works. The case is decent, just not as good looking as the machine itself."
That is a little pricey but the machine is a nice one indeed! i would start out around $65 and go from there I do not think I would go much over that. But Necchi is the Ferrari of the sewing machine world......

Billy
I believe you'll find this to be a Japanese machine distributed by Necchi. But as I've stated before, I could be wrong. LOL!
Old 03-14-2011, 02:58 PM

Billy
I like that! And I love this Village; everyone is very helpful and friendly.
A big Thank You to all!
Old 03-14-2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn

Billy
My wife gave me a T-shirt that said about the samething and yes they are trying to tell us something. By the way I have been sewing on my redeye with a new HC. I keep finding the cheap parts machine but never use them for parts, now I will lhave to look for another parts redeye :lol: Glenn
A parts machine is out there for you; once you see it you will know it is yours. Have fun with your HC and treadling.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:02 PM

My Rocketeer is up for sale again, listed with pics in Classifieds section.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by nett2
Originally Posted by nett2
This is my first time to try to post pics here but just gotta try so I can show ya'll they jewel I found yesterday. I've already named her Annabelle. From the best I can make out the serial # is G8459271 which I think makes her a 1910 model 15 Red eye. It has the singer swing away motor but I need a new rubber on the little wheel that touches the bigger wheel. The guy I bought her from said he thinks the contacts are bad in the foot pedal. DH can hardly wait to tinker with her but even if she never works properly she will be a beauty to look at once she's cleaned up.
That is really unique that it has a friction drive motor on the machine and it has the Singer badge on it. Normally you would have the belt driven motors on the machine since the handwheel has the provisions for it. Makes me think this was a "Dealer installed item".

Singer were first using electric motors on their machines in 1898.

Billy
You may be right Billy. On the wheel it looks like there's a place for one of the treadle belts but at the same time it's in a case that has a top that looks like a mailbox. Do the 66 models have a bobbin that drops in without a removeable case?
I was on a site last night that ask a lot of questions and according to the answers it told me it was a 1910 model 15 (I can't find the darn site again) but today I find a site for serial #'s that says it's a 1920 and maybe a 66. I also found a site that said the 15 wasn't made after 1898. How can a person know for sure what we have?
How do you change the stitch length?
This is definitely a 66. You change the stitch length by turning the knob on the pillar.