Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-06-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by jljack

You guys are funny!!! LOL

I am a June '51 model.
Hmmmmm Dont get to close to me I might put you in my collection!! :-P

Billy
Hahahahaha!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 03-06-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Nancy, Please post pictures of your work. I would love to see your finished cabinet. At first it was just the Singer decals that intrigued me, then other machines, and now the cabinets and irons. Wishing for a big basement!
I will post pictures once I get this cabinet done. What a job this is going to be! I have the treadle irons and the cabinet all taken apart. My DH is going to sandblast the irons -- they were painted gold while the cabinet was painted black. Eventually, I hope, my Wilcox and Gibbs will have a restored cabinet to go back into.

Nancy
Old 03-06-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Nancy
The 50's were a great decade. I'm a Dec. '53 model, myself :D
I'm an April '57 model, I agree the 50s were a great decade. :-D[/quote]

Purplefiend, I'm an April '58 model, just a year young.[/quote]

You guys have me so confused now, I am not even sure what year belongs to me! LOL!
Old 03-06-2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn

It is unfortunate that the cabinet has several layers of paint. This does make it a little more difficult to strip. I find that a paste or thick stripper works better than the watery kind. Paint a thick layer on the finish a section at a time then cover with plastic to keep the stripper from evaporating and leave on for about 40 min. This will keep the stripper moist and to reach deeply into the paint. Most sewing cabinets are not painted and the old shellac stripps easy. If you find paint in the grain of the wood after stripping take a small brass brush, apply stripper and use the brush with the grain of the wood to remove the paint in the grain. This will take time. I just hate it when someone paints over a nice woold finish. Hope this helps but paint is always hard to get out of oak. I am here to help. Glenn
Thanks Glenn, I will try the plastic. I am brushing on a thick stripper. It took 4 coats to just get down to where I could even see wood! I will try a tooth brush first. Luckily, this cabinet is not one of the really big ones!

Nancy
Old 03-06-2011, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Glenn

It is unfortunate that the cabinet has several layers of paint. This does make it a little more difficult to strip. I find that a paste or thick stripper works better than the watery kind. Paint a thick layer on the finish a section at a time then cover with plastic to keep the stripper from evaporating and leave on for about 40 min. This will keep the stripper moist and to reach deeply into the paint. Most sewing cabinets are not painted and the old shellac stripps easy. If you find paint in the grain of the wood after stripping take a small brass brush, apply stripper and use the brush with the grain of the wood to remove the paint in the grain. This will take time. I just hate it when someone paints over a nice woold finish. Hope this helps but paint is always hard to get out of oak. I am here to help. Glenn
Thanks Glenn, I will try the plastic. I am brushing on a thick stripper. It took 4 coats to just get down to where I could even see wood! I will try a tooth brush first. Luckily, this cabinet is not one of the really big ones!

Nancy
Nancy you can try a tooth brush but I really do not think it is stiff enough to get the paint out of the grain. Would love to see pics of your progress. Glenn
Old 03-06-2011, 06:00 PM

Nancy[/quote]

Nancy you can try a tooth brush but I really do not think it is stiff enough to get the paint out of the grain. Would love to see pics of your progress. Glenn[/quote]

I use the green scrubby pads along with stripper to get everything out. A good rinse in between scrubs usually makes headway very quickly.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:26 PM

Nancy
I'm an April '57 model, I agree the 50s were a great decade. :-D[/quote]

Purplefiend, I'm an April '58 model, just a year young.[/quote]

Sept.'56 model for me
Old 03-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Nancy
I'm an April '57 model, I agree the 50s were a great decade. :-D

Purplefiend, I'm an April '58 model, just a year young.
You guys have me so confused now, I am not even sure what year belongs to me! LOL![/quote]

I am a '66 model thats all I know!

Billy
Old 03-06-2011, 06:36 PM

Just consider me an old record - a 45. I remember the 50's (yes, I remember the 60's too - so I guess I wasn't there. :-) )
Old 03-06-2011, 07:40 PM

You guys are so funny, I remember the 50's 60's and I lived both decades hard. I also remember disco and boy was that fun. I am a 46 model and my wife and I still go dancing to the oldies. My son is your age Billy and thinks mom and I act like teenagers. People think we are in our 40's :lol: It great to be active and young at heart. Glenn