Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-06-2011, 08:49 AM

Nancy[/quote]
The 50's were a great decade. I'm a Dec. '53 model, myself :D[/quote]

I'm an April '57 model, I agree the 50s were a great decade. :-D
Old 03-06-2011, 08:58 AM

[quote]Miz Johnny
I have had a few of the 319s; right now I have a black one in the electric parlor cabinet. They look so cool, but somehow I just can't bond with them. However, I have a 306 in a trapezoid cabinet that I just love. Go figure.
I wonder if either the 319 or 306 could be treadled? Do they have a slide plate to change the bobbin or does the head have to be tipped back?
Thank you,
Sharon W.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:50 AM

[quote=purplefiend]
Miz Johnny
I have had a few of the 319s; right now I have a black one in the electric parlor cabinet. They look so cool, but somehow I just can't bond with them. However, I have a 306 in a trapezoid cabinet that I just love. Go figure.
I wonder if either the 319 or 306 could be treadled? Do they have a slide plate to change the bobbin or does the head have to be tipped back?
Thank you,
Sharon W.
The head has to be tipped back; one of the drawbacks to this model. I know for sure a 206 can be treadled, and believe a 306/319 can as well. I think some of the TO people are doing so.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:05 AM

Nancy[/quote]
The 50's were a great decade. I'm a Dec. '53 model, myself :D

I'm an April '57 model, I agree the 50s were a great decade. :-D[/quote]

It wasn't me born in 53, although, that was a good year I am sure!

Nancy
Old 03-06-2011, 10:13 AM

You guys remember my new Wilcox & Gibbs on page 695? Well, it had been painted black - twice - under that a white or cream, can't tell! I am trying to strip the cabinet to get it back to the original wood, which is very pretty. I am using Glenn's tutorial, but what a pain in the backside! It had so much paint on the cabinet that I am on my second can of stripper. I am finally getting down to the wood, but now there is white paint imbedded in the grain of the wood!

Glenn, will I ever get this cabinet back to the original? Geeze, I can't believe what some people do to these antique cabinets and machines!

On a good note, my Wilcox and Gibbs sews beautifully!

Nancy
Old 03-06-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Nancy
The 50's were a great decade. I'm a Dec. '53 model, myself :D[/quote]

I'm an April '57 model, I agree the 50s were a great decade. :-D[/quote]

Purplefiend, I'm an April '58 model, just a year young.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Billy, you are quite the character! I always figured you just liked the 50's era! But, I guessed you a little older than you are!

Nancy
The 50's were a great decade. I'm a Dec. '53 model, myself :D
Me too. I'm a '56 model... April 9. There was only one of me alotted on that day, Billy!

I recently got a 403 and was kinda tickled to find out we had the same birth year. ;)
Old 03-06-2011, 11:07 AM

[quote=Miz Johnny]
Originally Posted by purplefiend
Miz Johnny
Thank you,
Sharon W.
The head has to be tipped back; one of the drawbacks to this model. I know for sure a 206 can be treadled, and believe a 306/319 can as well. I think some of the TO people are doing so.
I'm still researching and looking for a machine to put in treadle that uses the 15x1 needles and does some decorative stitches.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
You guys remember my new Wilcox & Gibbs on page 695? Well, it had been painted black - twice - under that a white or cream, can't tell! I am trying to strip the cabinet to get it back to the original wood, which is very pretty. I am using Glenn's tutorial, but what a pain in the backside! It had so much paint on the cabinet that I am on my second can of stripper. I am finally getting down to the wood, but now there is white paint imbedded in the grain of the wood!

Glenn, will I ever get this cabinet back to the original? Geeze, I can't believe what some people do to these antique cabinets and machines!

On a good note, my Wilcox and Gibbs sews beautifully!

Nancy
Nancy, Please post pictures of your work. I would love to see your finished cabinet. At first it was just the Singer decals that intrigued me, then other machines, and now the cabinets and irons. Wishing for a big basement!
Old 03-06-2011, 11:14 AM

hi that is so cool