Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-04-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by grayhare
I have not seen this machine in person yet. It comes in a box type cabinet, couldn't download picture. I really don't know anything about it yet. It belonged to his grandma. He is asking 250. What do you all think?
Too much money.
Sorry that was short. I had to run out to take a child somewhere.

I wanted to say more than that.

So, way too much money. Here is an example of a better deal price wise. Although if you are extremely patient, you may find them posted for free.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2524720945.html
She made him an offer within her budget and he accepted it.... :)
What ya trying to tell me? How do you know this?
Old 08-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
II sewed on the dress I wore to first grade but couldn't write my own name - didn't do kindergarten - it's probably what's wrong with me...

poison ivy is not as weepy as yesterday - kind of crusty though
I didn't do Kindergarten, either. Back in the "olden days" :roll: :-D we started school in 1st grade. Maybe that is what was wrong with me when I was in the 8th grade I thought it would be fun to get out of doing school work by rubbing poison ivy leaves all over and between the fingers of my right hand :shock: :shock: :shock: Well, needless to say, I am 57 yrs old now but I can still remember the agony of the itch and pain that I experienced with fingers swollen, twice their size, from the rash. So, I feel your pain and hope that your poison ivy heals really quick.
I didn't do kindergarten either, but I did learn from others and got to explore outdoors. Watched my dad lay a patio with blue stone, fix his tools, mow a yard, chop a humongous tree down, and build a stone wall. Watched my mom cook, sew her own clothes, paint the house, and clean house. I climbed trees, road bikes, played in the stream down the hill, fished, collected insects, and picked blackberries for pies. Yup, much better than kindergarten.
Oh and in the summer I only wore shoes to church... had the run of the whole town, visited all the old people, threw tomato at cars and oh dear, got spanked... yeah and mom gardened, canned it all, breast fed her baby while keeping track of 3 other kids... sew clothes for all of us and taught Sunday School. I made my own doll clothes from scratch, made puppets from socks, baked cookies, dug holes almost to China in odd places, got spanked, played ball in the empty lot, rode a bike all over the neighborhood, read books, rarely watched tv, delivered papers, collected pop bottles and got 2 cents a bottle... actually went trick or treating in the whole town, played in the coal bin, got spanked, watched the old ladies tie quilts, attempted to tat, watched an old lady hook a rug... took out the church steps for the wood, got spanked... and so on... and when I grew up I homeschooled my kids and guess what my grand kids are homeschooled too. They have watched twin goats birthed, milked a goat, captured chickens, raised rabbits, cried when said chickens were killed, cried when rabbit escaped, etc. Oh and they rarely watch tv.
LOL... love your story of growing up. Before I got to the end my comment would have been that you were learning; and learning more than if you were in school (kindergarten). I homeschooled my five kids for over 17 years and loved it. By having the kids at home and teaching them; I learned a ton myself.

:thumbup:
Yup, I learned a lot, too. We started in 1982 in the Peoples Republic of Cincinnati... (well, we moved to Indiana - whole lot better...) and went for about 24 years... Actually do GKs count??? Yesterday my DD came over with the tribe. They were getting to her big time. I looked at her and I said, "Don't ya just wish ya could go get ya a real nice high stress job so ya could relax a while???" She said, "You used to say that..." We had a good laugh. I can't say my kids knew all that much when they left home. I can say they did know how to figure things out. I guess watching them gave me the courage to try to fix my own sewing machines. Raising my kids gave me courage to start my own business. Graduating without any honors and not knowing how to spell & not knowing all my math facts gave me confidence that I could do at least that well teaching my own kids - after all I did manage to teach him English before he was two... And I did learn to spell and I know my math facts and a whole lot more. The kids certainly have exceeded my expectations - in fact they just plain old amaze me sometimes.

I think I'm down to one major poison ivy ooze place!!! It's on my right arm - every time I move it oozes - just try and not move your elbow... My face is starting to look normal for me... The other places are looking somewhat better.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:30 PM

Grayhare,

I picked up a 201-3 with a motor, whose voltage is incorrect for use in the States. It came over from Britain. When I saw the machine, I was so excited because it had an external motor, which meant I could toss the motor (take it off). I would have a Singer 201 that could be treadled (it was like finding gold). I paid $30 with box of attachments for that beauty (its my favorite machine). I wait a bit for a cabinet, and then saw on CLs a free extremely sad cabinet with a treadle that looked ok. That cabinet had a Singer 9W1 in bad shape too. I basically picked up an extremely nice treadle that had been protected by a cabinet that was now badly damaged (the cabinet) with a machine that looked like it had been used as a parts machine. I took the cabinet off the treadle and waited for a free cabinet to show up on CLs. A couple of weeks later and a 45 mins drive in one direction, I had a cabinet top. I had to take the legs off this cabinet top since it was designed for an e-machine. I'm not into refurbishing like Glenn is, too much work. So, it was easier to find a top to switch.
So, for $30 I had a machine in treadle.

I say the machines have a way of finding us, just be patient.
Beautiful machine!!
Old 08-04-2011, 04:32 PM

I have not seen this machine in person yet. It comes in a box type cabinet, couldn't download picture. I really don't know anything about it yet. It belonged to his grandma. He is asking 250. What do you all think?
Too much money.

So, way too much money. Here is an example of a better deal price wise. Although if you are extremely patient, you may find them posted for free.

:) PMs....
Old 08-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Cathy, Monica, Kathie, and Miriam I loved reading about the good 'ole' days of youth. I spent all my time on a horse or pretending to be a horse! I was not home schooled, but have some great memories of riding the bus into town to go to school, as we lived on a working cattle ranch!

Lee, very nice 99! Those 99s are great little work horses.

Nancy
I was not home schooled either. I can only wish... I was a victim of the public school. I was a full year younger than most of my class. I was a tad bit dyslexic. I was teased for growing a head full of red hair. I was skinny and uncoordinated. I had terrible grades. Then my sister had it worse. AW heck not much has changed...
I wasn't homeschooled either. I remember waiting at the bus stop, riding the bus, antics in school, and being totally bored.
I can't relate to any of this. I grew up in Bangkok, Thailand and attended the International School of Bangkok.
COOL!!! That must have been fun and interesting!!! Love to hear stories.
I don't know that I was ever bored in school.... I was just busy in some other world...
Old 08-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Power Poster

Too much money.

ESP???
Old 08-04-2011, 04:40 PM

Too much money.

Haahaaa...Do you have PMS...I'm sorry I couldn't resist.

I will be good now. :) Ok, she private messaged you. So, now she will have to tell ALL her deal.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:43 PM

[quote=miriam][quote=vintagemotif][quote=Glenn][quote=vintagemotif][quote=miriam]
Originally Posted by BoJangles

I don't know that I was ever bored in school.... I was just busy in some other world...
I know I was bored because I looked forward to playing dodgeball and on rainy days we would get to play it indoors in the classroom while sitting on our desks. That teacher was way cool!!
Old 08-04-2011, 04:55 PM

Haahaaa...Do you have PMS...I'm sorry I couldn't resist.

I will be good now. :) Ok, she private messaged you. So, now she will have to tell ALL her deal.[/quote]

I haven't seen the machine in person, I'm hoping it is nice!!All the decals in good condition. Plus, I have to arrange for one of my son-in-laws to go with me to pick it up. I hope it all comes together, and is acceptable to the seller.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
II sewed on the dress I wore to first grade but couldn't write my own name - didn't do kindergarten - it's probably what's wrong with me...

poison ivy is not as weepy as yesterday - kind of crusty though
I didn't do Kindergarten, either. Back in the "olden days" :roll: :-D we started school in 1st grade. Maybe that is what was wrong with me when I was in the 8th grade I thought it would be fun to get out of doing school work by rubbing poison ivy leaves all over and between the fingers of my right hand :shock: :shock: :shock: Well, needless to say, I am 57 yrs old now but I can still remember the agony of the itch and pain that I experienced with fingers swollen, twice their size, from the rash. So, I feel your pain and hope that your poison ivy heals really quick.
I didn't do kindergarten either, but I did learn from others and got to explore outdoors. Watched my dad lay a patio with blue stone, fix his tools, mow a yard, chop a humongous tree down, and build a stone wall. Watched my mom cook, sew her own clothes, paint the house, and clean house. I climbed trees, road bikes, played in the stream down the hill, fished, collected insects, and picked blackberries for pies. Yup, much better than kindergarten.
Oh and in the summer I only wore shoes to church... had the run of the whole town, visited all the old people, threw tomato at cars and oh dear, got spanked... yeah and mom gardened, canned it all, breast fed her baby while keeping track of 3 other kids... sew clothes for all of us and taught Sunday School. I made my own doll clothes from scratch, made puppets from socks, baked cookies, dug holes almost to China in odd places, got spanked, played ball in the empty lot, rode a bike all over the neighborhood, read books, rarely watched tv, delivered papers, collected pop bottles and got 2 cents a bottle... actually went trick or treating in the whole town, played in the coal bin, got spanked, watched the old ladies tie quilts, attempted to tat, watched an old lady hook a rug... took out the church steps for the wood, got spanked... and so on... and when I grew up I homeschooled my kids and guess what my grand kids are homeschooled too. They have watched twin goats birthed, milked a goat, captured chickens, raised rabbits, cried when said chickens were killed, cried when rabbit escaped, etc. Oh and they rarely watch tv.
LOL... love your story of growing up. Before I got to the end my comment would have been that you were learning; and learning more than if you were in school (kindergarten). I homeschooled my five kids for over 17 years and loved it. By having the kids at home and teaching them; I learned a ton myself.

:thumbup:
Yup, I learned a lot, too. We started in 1982 in the Peoples Republic of Cincinnati... (well, we moved to Indiana - whole lot better...) and went for about 24 years... Actually do GKs count??? Yesterday my DD came over with the tribe. They were getting to her big time. I looked at her and I said, "Don't ya just wish ya could go get ya a real nice high stress job so ya could relax a while???" She said, "You used to say that..." We had a good laugh. I can't say my kids knew all that much when they left home. I can say they did know how to figure things out. I guess watching them gave me the courage to try to fix my own sewing machines. Raising my kids gave me courage to start my own business. Graduating without any honors and not knowing how to spell & not knowing all my math facts gave me confidence that I could do at least that well teaching my own kids - after all I did manage to teach him English before he was two... And I did learn to spell and I know my math facts and a whole lot more. The kids certainly have exceeded my expectations - in fact they just plain old amaze me sometimes.

I think I'm down to one major poison ivy ooze place!!! It's on my right arm - every time I move it oozes - just try and not move your elbow... My face is starting to look normal for me... The other places are looking somewhat better.
First of all... :lol: :lol: :lol: you crack me up! People's Republic of...

Hey, I started in 1982 also... it was actually illegal at the time but when the superindendent of schools met up with us he told us we were probably giving our kids a better education. That was an unexpected comment. I better get off my homeschool bandwagon. Haven't been up there for quite a while. :-D :-D Glad your oozing points are dwindling.