Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-06-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by nickylsf
Thanks Charlee, when I clean it what would you suggest I use on the head? Will the GoJo hand cleaner work?
I'm leary of the GoJo if the decals are exposed...that is, not covered by shellac. I've seen a few posts here and there of people that have silvered and lost decals using it, and while I know Billy's had a lot of success with it, it scares me a bit. I'd use sewing machine oil, rub it on gently, and use a soft cloth to wipe it down, reapplying as needed. You can put it on rather thick, and let it sit for a bit to soften the grime. Be really careful rubbing it on or off, so that the grime doesn't scratch the gold...

I'm pretty sure you're going to have an AWESOME machine when you've got her cleaned up!! :)
I had the same experience with the GoJo taking off the shellac coating....and the decals. I will try the oil soap or oil next time. Wish someone would make replacement decals!
Old 08-06-2011, 12:43 PM

Ifound a singer today at a yard sale ,given to me she is around 60yrs old she is a century 1851-1951 the thing wont move the needle up&down but the wheel bearly turns , serl.# is AK016055. help please. Dottie Bug
Old 08-06-2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dottie Bug
Ifound a singer today at a yard sale ,given to me she is around 60yrs old she is a century 1851-1951 the thing wont move the needle up&down but the wheel bearly turns , serl.# is AK016055. help please. Dottie Bug
Dottie Bug, your Singer is a Model 15 Made in the Elizabethport factory in Elizabeth New Jersey. She was born on Nov. 10, 1950. Keep oiling it. Be patient. Kathie
Old 08-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45983-1.htm Billy has good info - I would read as much info as you can before starting to clean up the machine. It is probably caused by dried up oil or 3 in one oil or some rust. You can fix it up if you can follow directions. There might be more info - look in the vintage sewing machine shop - http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1013
Old 08-06-2011, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Originally Posted by Dottie Bug
Dottie Bug, your Singer is a Model 15 Made in the Elizabethport factory in Elizabeth New Jersey. She was born on Nov. 10, 1950. Keep oiling it. Be patient. Kathie
kathie
thank you for info ,
Old 08-06-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Well, I was really disappointed in today's mail. I got my needle, bobbins and shuttle for my Minnesota B. The needles and bobbins were right, but the shuttle was the too big and the wrong shape. It was sent in the correct shuttle tube (#9), but it looked like it might have been some type of generic thing. The seller guaranteed it was right for the Minnesota B. I can (and will be) returning it, I sent a picture of what it should look like and hopefully I will get the correct shuttle.
Feeling better - the shape looks (is) all wrong according to the manual, but after checking how to put in a shuttle again and a little trial and error - it does go in - and it does make stitches. So generic or not - it works enough to make me happy and save the Minnesota from being a door stop.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45983-1.htm Billy has good info - I would read as much info as you can before starting to clean up the machine. It is probably caused by dried up oil or 3 in one oil or some rust. You can fix it up if you can follow directions. There might be more info - look in the vintage sewing machine shop - http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1013
miriam thank you for the info .Dottie Bug
Old 08-06-2011, 02:01 PM

Took the $2.00 vintage Brother I got at a rummage sale a couple weeks ago to my repair guy, got her a needle plate and a bobbin case. He worked on the tension a bit and she sews so quiet and a beautiful stitch. I can find no info on her but someone called her the Cream Puff.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:55 PM

[quote=hevemi]Hello. I posted a new topic just today "Cobweb OLD singer, info needed" by hevemi.)[/quote

That is a neat machine!!!
Old 08-06-2011, 03:13 PM

Didn't find a great old Singer today, HOWEVER, did get a Singer Athena, 1200, apparently from about 1975....haven't set it up yet, but am curious as to your thoughts on this machine. Got it complete with original instruction manual and box of attachments.