Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-06-2011, 04:18 PM

kathie
thank you for info ,[/quote]

Your welcome Dottie Bug. Kathie
Old 08-06-2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dottie Bug
Ifound a singer today at a yard sale ,given to me she is around 60yrs old she is a century 1851-1951 the thing wont move the needle up&down but the wheel bearly turns , serl.# is AK016055. help please. Dottie Bug
Take the face plate off, clean the inside and make sure there is nothing inside obstructing the needle from moving up and down.
Oil it. If that doesn't work, oil it more, and put the machine out in the sun for some time, then give it a try.

My Singer 9W wouldn't move for me. I took the faceplate off to find drill bits. Here is a photo of the machine:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-237639.png  
Old 08-06-2011, 09:39 PM

Went to a few new found to me flea markets and antique shops. What I saw today.....

237 Fashionmate in stand for $50
Athena 2000(?) not sure on price
Singer 15 in stand for $85
Singer 127 Sphinx with not very good decals in treadle for $100
2 Singers in the old wood domed lids..have no idea what they were...prices were $125 and $200. Neither were in good shape
2 Jones treadles (one with singer foot irons). Cleaned up nicely already. Each were $95
Singer 127 Sphinx with VERY nice decals. Decent cabinet. Price was $135 but I asked and the owner would take $115.

I'm thinking about the last one. It looked nice. I think it was missing whatever the bobbon sits in. I dont know anything about those different bobbins. I took a couple pics I will post tomorrow.

I also found a Wizard on CL for $50, but its a few miles away.

Machines are just way to expensive around here.....
Old 08-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jtapp9
Went to a few new found to me flea markets and antique shops. What I saw today.....

237 Fashionmate in stand for $50
Athena 2000(?) not sure on price
Singer 15 in stand for $85
Singer 127 Sphinx with not very good decals in treadle for $100
2 Singers in the old wood domed lids..have no idea what they were...prices were $125 and $200. Neither were in good shape
2 Jones treadles (one with singer foot irons). Cleaned up nicely already. Each were $95
Singer 127 Sphinx with VERY nice decals. Decent cabinet. Price was $135 but I asked and the owner would take $115.

I'm thinking about the last one. It looked nice. I think it was missing whatever the bobbon sits in. I dont know anything about those different bobbins. I took a couple pics I will post tomorrow.

I also found a Wizard on CL for $50, but its a few miles away.

I would agree - machines are expensive around you. I've had a real bad bout of poison ivy and can barely move so to keep from dying of boredom I've taken a trip on CL - I looked all over the place. There are some real good buys out there if you are in the right place. I saw a couple I would have driven a good ways for. I found one I called about to see if they would send and it was already sold but still up.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:55 PM

Okay everybody, I found me a beige 301A longbed on Craigslist for $100, with the foot pedal, case and the bobbin case. Drove from the San Jose area to San Francisco to get it. (About 60 miles.) First time on my own and I'm not too proud to admit I just kept getting lost. Found the pickup spot after a missed exit, (I had directions off of mapquest), but afterwards.... you'd think I'd never been there (or driven there), before! Left home about 2:30pm and got back around 6:30pm.

So now I've got her out and found a youtube to explain how to wind the bobbin. I cannot get the silver thing to move towards me to disengage it. Any advise, please?
Old 08-06-2011, 11:02 PM

I just saw this on Craigslist

Antique Singer, Sewing Machine, Electric AC058900 - $475

Size: 11.5"Height x 17"Width x 8"Depth
Working?--Don't know!
All parts look to be intact, even the power cord.
Local Pick-Up.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Power Poster

Old 08-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Celeste
Okay everybody, I found me a beige 301A longbed on Craigslist for $100, with the foot pedal, case and the bobbin case. Drove from the San Jose area to San Francisco to get it. (About 60 miles.) First time on my own and I'm not too proud to admit I just kept getting lost. Found the pickup spot after a missed exit, (I had directions off of mapquest), but afterwards.... you'd think I'd never been there (or driven there), before! Left home about 2:30pm and got back around 6:30pm.

So now I've got her out and found a youtube to explain how to wind the bobbin. I cannot get the silver thing to move towards me to disengage it. Any advise, please?
Which silver 'thing' do you mean?
Old 08-06-2011, 11:08 PM
Power Poster

I just saw this on Craigslist

Antique Singer, Sewing Machine, Electric AC058900 - $475

Size: 11.5"Height x 17"Width x 8"Depth
Working?--Don't know!
All parts look to be intact, even the power cord.
Local Pick-Up.
pass
Old 08-06-2011, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by miriam

Which silver 'thing' do you mean?

Oops, sorry, I was using the video's terminology. in the middle of the wheel on the right side of the machine that, when turned by hand moves the needle up and down.