Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-08-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Geeze, Miz Johnny it sure looks like she got a Jones!

Nancy
Old 03-08-2011, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Thank you Ms Johnny for the info to use the Singer 12. But, the bobbin in this machine doesn't have the little holes to thread. Still trying to figure it out.

Here are some pictures, I put a piece of tape on the little lever at the bobbin winder to show that it flips from right to left to lock the bobbin winder. On the hand wheel it has a button that you move to lock the wheel or loosen it to wind the bobbin. (something new to me). We can not find any numbers or dates any where on the machine or the irons. It has a wooden pitman rod and no skirt guard. If any of you have any ideas let us know.
Is it a Jones?
http://www.sewmuse.co.uk/jones1.htm
Thanks for looking this up. It sure looks like the picture except it doesn't have Jones Family in the center of the machine bed. Everything else looks like it. No markings can we find. DH is going to take the needlebar cover off and see if anything is written there.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Geeze, Miz Johnny it sure looks like she got a Jones!

Nancy
Hope it is, this might be a rare one. So guess we will be keeping up with the Jones. LOL If we can figure out the darn bobbin. Going to look up Ms Johnny's links in the morning and maybe figure it out.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterGary
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/atq/2254757584.html

Has anyone heard of a Whippet sewing machine? If anyone is interested. I have heard of Whippet cars but not sewing machines.
Never heard of one, but it sure is pretty.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:17 PM

Has anyone heard of a Whippet sewing machine? If anyone is interested. I have heard of Whippet cars but not sewing machines.
It looks like it may be a New Home, their symbol is a greyhound....
Old 03-08-2011, 07:23 PM

I have my grandmothers Free No 5 treadle. I started cleaning up the head. Had to take a break due to hand issues. I know it will need a new treadle belt. I'm hoping that the drawers on the cabinet yield a few treasures. The treadle/cabinet is in my mothers garage. A relative tried to open the drawers and must not have known about the lock/release for the drawers. My first challenge will be getting the lock mechanism unjammed.

I remember this machine living infront of the baywindow of the farm house. That way she could sew and still keep an eye on what grandpa was doing down at the barn, silo and grainary.

My goal is to get her machine running so that I can piece and quilt a traditional scrappy quilt on in it in Grams memory.

I'm sure I will have questions.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by IT_Nana

Never heard of one, but it sure is pretty.
Yes, very pretty. It looks like a badged New Home -- I said Davis at first, but meant New Home as it looks like my T no 3 New Home.

Nancy
Old 03-08-2011, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by playswithcolor
I have my grandmothers Free No 5 treadle. I started cleaning up the head. Had to take a break due to hand issues. I know it will need a new treadle belt. I'm hoping that the drawers on the cabinet yield a few treasures. The treadle/cabinet is in my mothers garage. A relative tried to open the drawers and must not have known about the lock/release for the drawers. My first challenge will be getting the lock mechanism unjammed.

I remember this machine living infront of the baywindow of the farm house. That way she could sew and still keep an eye on what grandpa was doing down at the barn, silo and grainary.

My goal is to get her machine running so that I can piece and quilt a traditional scrappy quilt on in it in Grams memory.

I'm sure I will have questions.
Geeze, you are the second person in the last couple days to get a Free! Nana has been posting about her Grandmother's Free that she just got! I also have a Free, mine is on page 627 and Nana's Free is a few page back! Page 774!

Congratulations! What is the serial number on your machine? We are trying to figure out ages of these machines!

Nancy
Old 03-08-2011, 08:00 PM

serial # is 031503 I was told that grandma bought it new when ww 1 ended. Grandpa's war bonus was used for it.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
Thank you everyone for your help and encouragement! I am piecing my first quilt on my Singer treadle, born March 4, 1919. It just turned 92 and it sews wonderfully! I was able to wind the bobbin too, must have had something too tight before...good thing because the bobbin was a little bigger than the one for the Serata and wouldn't wind on it. I am a happy treadler now!
Congratulations HisPatchwork! You will not regret this journey!

Nancy
I absolutly love it! I finished the quilt top from a jelly roll today! {my Brother will probably get neglected}