Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-04-2011, 07:33 PM

Monica, I also got the Two Spools today. This Two Spools looks just like my Eldredge Two Spools, but it is a National Two Spools? I will post pictures of it tomorrow. The cool thing is I got the dated warranty and all the paper work with this machine! This will give us a start to dating these machine!

Nancy
Old 08-04-2011, 07:39 PM

There is a really nice 401 and 301 both for sale on Sacramento's Craigslist for $80!

Here's the 401a. http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2530578357.html

And the 301.
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2530530952.html
Nancy
Old 08-04-2011, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by grayhare
I haven't seen the machine in person, I'm hoping it is nice!!All the decals in good condition. Plus, I have to arrange for one of my son-in-laws to go with me to pick it up. I hope it all comes together, and is acceptable to the seller.

OR you could buy these two for the price of $250 or a bit more...or less if you talk them down.

A Singer:
http://modesto.craigslist.org/atq/2526296089.html

And A Davis NVF:
http://modesto.craigslist.org/atq/2526424570.html

Two for the price of one!!! I'm surprised to see another Davis so soon show up on CLs. I wouldn't pay $175 for the machine since last week one in a cabinet like this went for $65 in the Bay Area.[/quote]

It was even better than that! $56, and we gave them $60 as we had no change! :)
Old 08-04-2011, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Monica, I also got the Two Spools today. This Two Spools looks just like my Eldredge Two Spools, but it is a National Two Spools? I will post pictures of it tomorrow. The cool thing is I got the dated warranty and all the paper work with this machine! This will give us a start to dating these machine!

Nancy
Yes! The machines will look exactly the same, at least mine did.

Way cool!!! You got the Hitachi and the Two Spools! I'm so excited for you. Congrats!!!:)
Old 08-04-2011, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by nickylsf
Originally Posted by grayhare
I haven't seen the machine in person, I'm hoping it is nice!!All the decals in good condition. Plus, I have to arrange for one of my son-in-laws to go with me to pick it up. I hope it all comes together, and is acceptable to the seller.

OR you could buy these two for the price of $250 or a bit more...or less if you talk them down.

A Singer:
http://modesto.craigslist.org/atq/2526296089.html

And A Davis NVF:
http://modesto.craigslist.org/atq/2526424570.html

Two for the price of one!!! I'm surprised to see another Davis so soon show up on CLs. I wouldn't pay $175 for the machine since last week one in a cabinet like this went for $65 in the Bay Area.
It was even better than that! $56, and we gave them $60 as we had no change! :)[/quote]

Opps, my dyslexic side showing. That's right, even better!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:00 PM

Grayhare,

I picked up a 201-3 with a motor, whose voltage is incorrect for use in the States. It came over from Britain. When I saw the machine, I was so excited because it had an external motor, which meant I could toss the motor (take it off). I would have a Singer 201 that could be treadled (it was like finding gold). I paid $30 for machine that came with box of attachments for that beauty (its my favorite machine). I wait a bit for a cabinet, and then saw on CLs a free extremely sad cabinet with a treadle that looked ok. That cabinet had a Singer 9W1 in bad shape too. I basically picked up an extremely nice treadle that had been protected by a cabinet that was now badly damaged (the cabinet) with a machine that looked like it had been used as a parts machine. I took the cabinet off the treadle and waited for a free cabinet to show up on CLs. A couple of weeks later and a 45 mins drive in one direction, I had a cabinet top. I had to take the legs off this cabinet top since it was designed for an e-machine. I'm not into refurbishing like Glenn is, too much work. So, it was easier to find a top to switch.
So, for $30 I had a machine in treadle.

I say the machines have a way of finding us, just be patient.
Vintagemotif, very nice looking machine and cabinet! I recently found a 201, sans cabinet or treadle, but with an external motor. Thank you for your words of encouragement. Patience!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:11 PM

Ok all, I got that Hitachi I have been talking about for the last couple weeks. It is a Hitachi, not a Necchi - I have no doubt about that. It has Hitachi written in long hand, embedded, or welded, or however they did it on the actual underneath part of the bed. It also has Hitachi written in metal on both ends of the treadle and in the middle of the treadle. There are needles and bobbins that came with the machine that have a price tag written in Chinese (I think, it is Chinese) in the drawer. The thing weighs a ton. Has a reverse bar. It also has a knee lifter for the foot. Here are some pictures.

Billy, Charlee, Miz Johnny, what do I have? I can't find anything on the inernet about a Hitachi Treadle anywhere! I know it must be an industrial machine. It has a full 9" harp space. The face is solid iron and heavy - almost dropped it when I took it off to oil the machine!
Nancy,

Those characters are Japanese and not Chinese since Hitachi is a Japanese Company. I'm beginning to believe that someone of Japanese descent had that machine shipped over to use here after they moved here. They may have started some business and just preferred using that machine over an industrial Singer or whatever was the popular machine of that time. This could be just one reason for why it is difficult to find info on this type of machine and why we don't see many now since few made it to the States. But then I could be all wrong with this. Were you able to get any history on the machine? Looks industrial! I would love to see this machine.
Congrats!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by nickylsf
Grayhare,

I picked up a 201-3 with a motor, whose voltage is incorrect for use in the States. It came over from Britain. When I saw the machine, I was so excited because it had an external motor, which meant I could toss the motor (take it off). I would have a Singer 201 that could be treadled (it was like finding gold). I paid $30 for machine that came with box of attachments for that beauty (its my favorite machine). I wait a bit for a cabinet, and then saw on CLs a free extremely sad cabinet with a treadle that looked ok. That cabinet had a Singer 9W1 in bad shape too. I basically picked up an extremely nice treadle that had been protected by a cabinet that was now badly damaged (the cabinet) with a machine that looked like it had been used as a parts machine. I took the cabinet off the treadle and waited for a free cabinet to show up on CLs. A couple of weeks later and a 45 mins drive in one direction, I had a cabinet top. I had to take the legs off this cabinet top since it was designed for an e-machine. I'm not into refurbishing like Glenn is, too much work. So, it was easier to find a top to switch.
So, for $30 I had a machine in treadle.

I say the machines have a way of finding us, just be patient.
Vintagemotif, very nice looking machine and cabinet! I recently found a 201, sans cabinet or treadle, but with an external motor. Thank you for your words of encouragement. Patience!
Did you post picks of your 201? Love to see it. 201s are my favorite Singers. They make the prettiest stitch top and bottom and are so quiet and smooth. And yes if it has an external motor, please toss (or keep in box) motor and start treadling with that machine. You will fall in love. :)
Old 08-04-2011, 08:35 PM

[quote=BoJangles]Ok all, I got that Hitachi .

Good buy Nancy. Kathie
Old 08-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Power Poster

Ok all, I got that Hitachi I have been talking about for the last couple weeks. It is a Hitachi, not a Necchi - I have no doubt about that. It has Hitachi written in long hand, embedded, or welded, or however they did it on the actual underneath part of the bed. It also has Hitachi written in metal on both ends of the treadle and in the middle of the treadle. There are needles and bobbins that came with the machine that have a price tag written in Chinese (I think, it is Chinese) in the drawer. The thing weighs a ton. Has a reverse bar. It also has a knee lifter for the foot. Here are some pictures.

Billy, Charlee, Miz Johnny, what do I have? I can't find anything on the inernet about a Hitachi Treadle anywhere! I know it must be an industrial machine. It has a full 9" harp space. The face is solid iron and heavy - almost dropped it when I took it off to oil the machine!
It looks to me like an old industrial with a knee lift for the foot. I wonder if it is a knock off of the 241 - does it sit in an oil bath - if so it should have a pan it fits into - cork all the way around... Does it have oil wicks?
Actually it looks a lot like an old Consew. There is a Singer 241 in the pictures of someone repairing the timing http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1426.htm Here's a pic of a Consew - not as old as your machine
http://cgi.ebay.com/Consew-Sewing-Ma...item1e650f1065 one similar in looks...