Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-05-2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
I have looked at all the new machines on here and they are just beautiful.

Here are two machines we got this week.
The first one is a Davis it didn't have a date but the serial # is 2751431. The 2nd one DH got because he likes fiddle base machines. It is a Singer VS2 dated 1889. This machine is sitting on our new Singer Red Eye. Haven't taken a pic of it yet.
Trish, nice Davis and VS2, but what is the big Singer in the background? I see a second fiddle base in the picture too?

Nancy
Nancy the big machine you saw in the back ground is my 319. The other fiddle base is DH's 12K M.O.P. HC.
Trish, That's a pretty machine!!!
Old 08-05-2011, 10:00 AM

Here is a 1919 Red Eye we bought at an auction. I haven't cleaned her up yet but she sews a beautiful stitch top and bottom. Of all the treaddles I was able to take right off with her.

Love this cabinet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]236953[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-236945.jpe   attachment-236946.jpe   attachment-236947.jpe  
Old 08-05-2011, 10:23 AM

I am looking at a 185 K on CL, seems to be in good condition, machine and case. They were asking $150 but will take $85 (I had countered $75). Do you think I should get it?

Thanks for your input.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by nickylsf
Grayhare,

I picked up a 201-3 with a motor, whose voltage is incorrect for use in the States. It came over from Britain. When I saw the machine, I was so excited because it had an external motor, which meant I could toss the motor (take it off). I would have a Singer 201 that could be treadled (it was like finding gold). I paid $30 for machine that came with box of attachments for that beauty (its my favorite machine). I wait a bit for a cabinet, and then saw on CLs a free extremely sad cabinet with a treadle that looked ok. That cabinet had a Singer 9W1 in bad shape too. I basically picked up an extremely nice treadle that had been protected by a cabinet that was now badly damaged (the cabinet) with a machine that looked like it had been used as a parts machine. I took the cabinet off the treadle and waited for a free cabinet to show up on CLs. A couple of weeks later and a 45 mins drive in one direction, I had a cabinet top. I had to take the legs off this cabinet top since it was designed for an e-machine. I'm not into refurbishing like Glenn is, too much work. So, it was easier to find a top to switch.
So, for $30 I had a machine in treadle.

I say the machines have a way of finding us, just be patient.
Vintagemotif, very nice looking machine and cabinet! I recently found a 201, sans cabinet or treadle, but with an external motor. Thank you for your words of encouragement. Patience!
Did you post picks of your 201? Love to see it. 201s are my favorite Singers. They make the prettiest stitch top and bottom and are so quiet and smooth. And yes if it has an external motor, please toss (or keep in box) motor and start treadling with that machine. You will fall in love. :)
Here are the pics of the 201. I haven't cleaned it up yet, but it does not seem to be missing any parts.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-236955.jpe   attachment-236956.jpe   attachment-236957.jpe  
Old 08-05-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by grayhare
I haven't seen the machine in person, I'm hoping it is nice!!All the decals in good condition. Plus, I have to arrange for one of my son-in-laws to go with me to pick it up. I hope it all comes together, and is acceptable to the seller.

OR you could buy these two for the price of $250 or a bit more...or less if you talk them down.

A Singer:
http://modesto.craigslist.org/atq/2526296089.html

And A Davis NVF:
http://modesto.craigslist.org/atq/2526424570.html

Two for the price of one!!! I'm surprised to see another Davis so soon show up on CLs. I wouldn't pay $175 for the machine since last week one in a cabinet like this went for $65 in the Bay Area.[/quote]

Waaaahhhhhhhh...why does California get all the great machines???????? Ain't nothing showing up in MS. :(
Old 08-05-2011, 11:15 AM

Look what I just found!!! DH took me to lunch and on way back to office this little beauti was calling me from the front yard of a yardsale. It needs cleaned up, but is all there. Minnesota, with the Sears insignia. It is a crinkley black, rather than shiney, and the faceplate is black as well. I need to get better at taking pictures!!! LOL

Minnesota
[ATTACH=CONFIG]236984[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-236978.jpe  
Old 08-05-2011, 11:19 AM

Grayhare,

I picked up a 201-3 with a motor, whose voltage is incorrect for use in the States. It came over from Britain. When I saw the machine, I was so excited because it had an external motor, which meant I could toss the motor (take it off). I would have a Singer 201 that could be treadled (it was like finding gold). I paid $30 for machine that came with box of attachments for that beauty (its my favorite machine). I wait a bit for a cabinet, and then saw on CLs a free extremely sad cabinet with a treadle that looked ok. That cabinet had a Singer 9W1 in bad shape too. I basically picked up an extremely nice treadle that had been protected by a cabinet that was now badly damaged (the cabinet) with a machine that looked like it had been used as a parts machine. I took the cabinet off the treadle and waited for a free cabinet to show up on CLs. A couple of weeks later and a 45 mins drive in one direction, I had a cabinet top. I had to take the legs off this cabinet top since it was designed for an e-machine. I'm not into refurbishing like Glenn is, too much work. So, it was easier to find a top to switch.
So, for $30 I had a machine in treadle.

I say the machines have a way of finding us, just be patient.
Vintagemotif, very nice looking machine and cabinet! I recently found a 201, sans cabinet or treadle, but with an external motor. Thank you for your words of encouragement. Patience!
Did you post picks of your 201? Love to see it. 201s are my favorite Singers. They make the prettiest stitch top and bottom and are so quiet and smooth. And yes if it has an external motor, please toss (or keep in box) motor and start treadling with that machine. You will fall in love. :)
Here are the pics of the 201. I haven't cleaned it up yet, but it does not seem to be missing any parts.
Find this beauty a treadle!!! Looks like it was used lots since decals are gone, someone must have loved her. Clean her up and enjoy sewing with her.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by buslady
Look what I just found!!! DH took me to lunch and on way back to office this little beauti was calling me from the front yard of a yardsale. It needs cleaned up, but is all there. Minnesota, with the Sears insignia. It is a crinkley black, rather than shiney, and the faceplate is black as well. I need to get better at taking pictures!!! LOL
Congrats! Don't you just love it when they start calling you over. :wink: As I say, the machines have a way of finding us. Enjoy!
Old 08-05-2011, 11:41 AM

I was out and about this morning and saw a machine whose serial number indicates it is a model 27 from 1902. It has a motor and just a ratty case. It looked to be in pretty good shape and did not seem to be missing any parts. Is this worth buying?
Old 08-05-2011, 11:44 AM

Nicky, it's been "modified"....and it would depend on what they're asking for it...but would be a nice machine to refurb and make into a handcrank/treadle... :)