Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-26-2011, 08:19 AM

Wow!! A DEAL for that $$!!! Good pick! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 07-26-2011, 08:20 AM

drickman, congrats on your FW. I got one recently, and am so happy!!
Old 07-26-2011, 08:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jljack
Wow that cabinet is GONE!!! :shock: Oh well, it's not the cabinet I necessarily need, although it would be nice to find a whole cabinet and Singer irons. But I don't think the brand of irons matter, right? Experts, please let me know if I am right on this. The cabinet would be a problem because of where the hinge attaches, but the irons are universal? Thanks!!
Yes the irons do matter! If they are not for the correct cabinet then the offset will be different for the belt alignment. But if your doing what I did and just mount the treadle under a huge table that you can interchange the machines out then it will not matter.

Bily
Old 07-26-2011, 08:29 AM

Kathie, Why don't you have Nancy look it over. She helped you with your FW. She should be able to help you here too. I would try Nancy assistance before the repairman.[/quote]

Truthfully I think that I trust Nancy more than the repairman.
I look at it after talking to you gays last night and I discovered that the thread had come out of the thread guide. When I put it back in the huge looping stopped. But the tension is still to loose. I have tighten it as tight it will go and no difference. Right now hubby is taking the tension apart and we are finding some rust. After it gets cleaned up if that does not help, Nancy here I come. Kathie

Hubby got it all back together and I adjusted the tension. It is sewing very nicely. Nancy you are off the hook. :P Kathie
Old 07-26-2011, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Kathie, Why don't you have Nancy look it over. She helped you with your FW. She should be able to help you here too. I would try Nancy assistance before the repairman.
Truthfully I think that I trust Nancy more than the repairman.
I look at it after talking to you gays last night and I discovered that the thread had come out of the thread guide. When I put it back in the huge looping stopped. But the tension is still to loose. I have tighten it as tight it will go and no difference. Right now hubby is taking the tension apart and we are finding some rust. After it gets cleaned up if that does not help, Nancy here I come. Kathie

Hubby got it all back together and I adjusted the tension. It is sewing very nicely. Nancy you are off the hook. :P Kathie[/quote]

If you can quilt or follow a pattern you can take a tension apart and put it back together! The instructions are usually in the owner's manual.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by nickylsf
Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Actually my Davis came with a little original Singer envelope with 3 long needles. Maybe someone will want them.
I am looking for some long needles for my Minnesota D, are the needles around 2" long?
They are a hair under 2." PM me if you would like to have them! I am pretty new at this but I don't think I would need these on most of the vintage machines I might pick up (as I do see more in my not so distant future).
Didn't you say they came with your DAVIS? I'm pretty sure they're FOR that machine...[/quote]

Hi Charlee, yes they came with the machine, but don't fit it. There is a diagram on the needleplate showing the size of the needle to use, and it is the size of regular 1x15 needles.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:21 AM

I don't remember who posted this, but changing out the fiber/cardboard in the oil pan on the FW and 301's makes a world of difference in the old oily smell. Thanks a bunch!!
Old 07-26-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by grannysewer
I don't remember who posted this, but changing out the fiber/cardboard in the oil pan on the FW and 301's makes a world of difference in the old oily smell. Thanks a bunch!!
My Featherweight has an oil pan? Never knew. How do you get to it? And what do I use to replace the fiber/cardboard?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:40 AM

20 x1 needles are still available.

Originally Posted by irishrose
SewExtreme, To change a needle on my 301, I need to loosen the little thumbscrew further than seems necessary, then wiggle the needle in. It goes further forward than center. When it is deeply seated, tighten the screw. It will pretend to go in toward the center, but I remember losing the needle once or twice last Fall. Hope this works. A stripped screw might be hard to replace.

Q Cowgirl, my National Paveway, badged for Leader, takes those back clamping feet, but I have some. Mine appear to be smaller than the ones in your picture.

Anyone who wants to get rid of some longer needles, let me know. I need Boye 4, size 20x1. They are 1 3/4" long. I haven't tried dropping a 15x1 down yet.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
These are the pics from the CL ad. Not the best, but will suffice for now. For $35.00 I think I did good.
Yes you did.