Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-06-2012, 05:56 PM

My 1941 15-30 is making a whirring noise when I first step on the gas. Today I gently took the motor off to check the small pulley. It is held onto the shaft with a itty bitty screw. The screw looks a little chewed up but the hole it goes into is worn larger. What to replace? The small pulley? Motor runs great. Still sews so sweetly. Any suggestions?
Old 02-06-2012, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by redmadder View Post
My 1941 15-30 is making a whirring noise when I first step on the gas. Today I gently took the motor off to check the small pulley. It is held onto the shaft with a itty bitty screw. The screw looks a little chewed up but the hole it goes into is worn larger. What to replace? The small pulley? Motor runs great. Still sews so sweetly. Any suggestions?
I would replace the pully and screw. If the hole is worn the screw will not tighten problerly Is the belt slipping when first started? The pully could be slipping a little on the shaft. Check it all out before replacing any parts. the motor brushes could be worn and making the noise when first started. Just suggestions for you to try.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Chris, why don't you go on the yahoo group for Bernina and see what they know
Miriam, Thanks for the great suggestion. I had no idea there was such a critter as a Bernina Yahoo group. Thanks again - am off to be assimilated into the collective there.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
help yourself - these are really good and famous too - we have a little bake shop when we go camping - DH cooks them in a Dutch oven Oh and I left off the aged Swiss cheese with sun dried tomato bits - my fav with a big bowl of soup.
I LOVE cooking in Dutch ovens!! I have seven of them...we have a yearly "Dinner Party at the Lake" where we cook in the ovens....everything from the entree to the deserts....usually have 12 to 20 folks show up!
Old 02-06-2012, 07:42 PM

Default Fixed Bernina 117L

Regarding my Bernina, I have fixed the problem. There's a lever or dohickey that is not mentioned in the manual or even pictured in it either. This dohickey must be disengaged for the zigzag to be only zigzag and conversely must be engaged for the machine to be capable of straight stitch. Maybe this was so commonly known back when Fritz was manufactured that it didn't need to be in the instruction manual but it sure would have been helpful for me. Thanks for all who helped even if it was positive thoughts that it would be a simple fix. Chris
Old 02-06-2012, 07:53 PM

I knew you could "fix" it Chris!! YAY!!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
I knew you could "fix" it Chris!! YAY!!
Thanks Charlee. I just had to engage memory banks and tinker with it some more. Spousal unit couldn't believe that the lever wouldn't be mentioned or pictured but was pleased that I had fixed it. Me too cuz now I can play!
Old 02-06-2012, 11:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
I LOVE cooking in Dutch ovens!! I have seven of them...we have a yearly "Dinner Party at the Lake" where we cook in the ovens....everything from the entree to the deserts....usually have 12 to 20 folks show up!
AW We should stop by some time...
Old 02-07-2012, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
No Miriam and Nancy I have not turned my 319 into a HC and I have decided I like to treadle the machine much better. So will not HC but I have an extra handwheel and try to convert it to HC to experiment for Miriam. I will not leave it as a HC but will play with it. I have no problem controlling the 319 in treadle and the stitches come out fine. I vote for treadle unless you have serious problems in treadleing a machine.LOL
Glenn, I'm with you on this one! My 319w is staying in her treadle too! I don't even think about that machine as a treadle - I just sit down and sew with her! So easy to use! I have no desire to HC the 319w. I have a 28 HC, a 66 HC, and a 99 HC - those are enough!

Nancy
Old 02-07-2012, 05:09 AM

Miriam, your scones sound wonderful! And, Charlee your dutch oven cooking sounds wonderful too!

Nancy