Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-09-2012, 08:51 PM

Nancy, it would be very inaccurate and hard to use, IMO. That's why the never made a hit with the machine. But, for a novelty..why not. I suspect he will call you after he tries it and gets sick of fighting the fabric moving everywhere:>
Old 02-09-2012, 10:23 PM

~grin~ A great video...but it's the comment at the end of it that tickles me the most!

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/se...sewing+machine
Old 02-09-2012, 10:31 PM

Another one:

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/se...sewing+machine
Old 02-10-2012, 02:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Hello,

This is my first post. I am a sewing machine junkie. Three months ago I was a normal guy who just liked to watch his wife sew, then I dug out my first (I have 4 now) treadle machine and that started it. That machine, a Singer 66-4 I think, was a gift from my late cousin about 11 years ago. It's been out in the garage from then till three months ago. Soon there will be no room for us in the house. We're up to 26 or 27 machines, I'm not sure.

I'm sure I'll post a pic or two but I want to start with my mothers old machine. I'm trying to find out who sold it, when it was made, find an original owners manual and a motor brush cap or two for it. So far I've struck out. No one has any ideas.
Here is a picture of it:

She is a HOTHER. A Japanese made HA-1. That much I know. As to who made this machine I'm pretty sure it was JUKI as everything under the bed is stamped JUKI. There is a marking on the back of the face plate also: The words TRADE MARK, then under that 2 circles and in the middle of the inner circle the initials SK.

My mother had this machine for years. So far back I have no idea when she got it. I can remember her using it from when I was a youngster and I'm near 60 now. She started having trouble with it in the late 80s and retired it when she bought a cabinet machine. After that she gave it to my wife. We took it to my late uncle who owned his own sewing machine shop and he tuned it up. After that it went on the shelf for the next 20 years. The original case was damaged by water when the bath tub leaked and the water seeped up under the wall and was soaked into the shelf unit and then to the case. I'm redoing it now.

The motor wiring melted but the motor is still in good shape. I rewired it and it will run again as soon as I can fine a new brush cap. One of the two shattered.
Nobody I've contacted has one though or has even seen this type of motor.
Here is a pic of the motor. Belgelcor is the name on it and it's made in Belgium.

Here is a pic of the one good cap with measurements. If anyone has any of these caps or even a dead motor like this, or a link to same, please let me know.

The brushes measure 4.5 mm square X ??. They are still in good shape, but some new ones wouldn't hurt.

I have a used Alpha-Sew motor on it for now and it works, but I'd really like to make this machine whole again with the original motor.

Thanks a bunch.

I'll be reading in this thread for a long while. I'm up to page 24 so I've got a long way to go.

Joe
Here are a couple links you might enjoy:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t164361.html feel free to post your pics on there, too
and
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...r-t169127.html
just for fun
Old 02-10-2012, 02:30 AM
Muv

Charlee - Great stuff! I love the old chicken pate newsreels.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:02 AM

For Valentines Day My hubby bought me a Brother Festival 451. It came with the operaters manual but I know nothing about it. We had just decided we wanted to and a vintage mache to our family of Brothers and had a chance to get this one. Does anyone know anything about a Brother Festival 451? How do I find out how how old it is? Where should I start?
Jeanne
Old 02-10-2012, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Here's the video of "my" cabinet that Miriam sent me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi8a_...1&feature=mhum
I loved this video of your cabinet Charlee! I can see why you wanted that cabinet so bad - it actually has a push button level to raise the machine like a modern cabinet! While in the u-tube's, I also watched a few video's of my 319w in treadle! I so love that 319! What wonderful decorative stitches I am getting now!

Monica, I know why you love the Necchi more than the 15 to FM with! It is just because you are prejudiced! The Necchi was your childhood machine!

Charlee, I love your bright table runner! Geeze, you are fast girl! You just got that 115!

Nancy
Old 02-10-2012, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
Monica,
Great name for a quilt!
I finished the quilt and forgot to take a picture of it. (dang it!). Some of the fabrics were salesman's samples that the Timeless Treasures rep gives to the Linus Connection(the group I make quilts for) There were bubbles and lots of other stuff in the collection I got. Its fun to see what I can make with a group of fabrics. I love working with bright,wild fabrics that the other ladies in the group shy away from. )
If you look in my webshots album "Charity Quilts", page 1 you can see some of the other blocks I made for the quilt.
http://community.webshots.com/user/purpy102
Sharon W.
Sharon beautiful quilts! I can see you like flowers! I bet you garden too!

Now that you have had that 237 in treadle for a while, what do you think of treadling her? Does the 237 do decorative?

Nancy
Old 02-10-2012, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Crud! I keep posting to the photos thread....We need to change the name of that thread if we can, because it shows on my computer as
Vintage Machines... and you can't tell the difference between that and this thread until you open it and then scroll back up to the top....it can get old trying to sort through posts to try to see the photos....
Charlee, you can't tell the difference because everyone talks too much in the photos albums! If there were only photos, we could tell very easily which shop we were in! I know, I am guilty too! It is so hard not to comment on a photo in those shops!

Nancy
Old 02-10-2012, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by LinC View Post
I too have an inherited Singer treadle machine from around the 1920's and would like to use it to quilt, especially the old traditional patterns
Please tell us about your treadle!

Nancy