Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-14-2012, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
You know I've been wondering about that.

I can do really good on the electric machines. But not so much the treadles.
If I can get the treadle going for a long stitch like a seam or a hem I'm good. But short spaces like piecing things together for a quilt I just can't get the treadles to do what I can do easily with an electric.
And the one feature I'm finding I reallllly realllllyy want on a machine is a reverse or a back tacker. They make life sooo much easier.

Joe
You own at least two machines that back tack. Your Sewmor and 66-18. Free manuals and information can be found by googling.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:43 AM

I don't worry too much about backtack or reverse...I just make the first stitches really small, and then lengthen them to the longer stitch...
Old 02-14-2012, 10:07 AM

In my google wanderings, I once saw a Singer 66-1 that did not have a motor mount, but a motor was attached to the machine. So, it can be done; and no, I didn't bookmark that page since it was not of importance to me at the time.
Many times the old treadle machines had motors added to them. Somehow a mount was made and holes where drilled to add the motor.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
In my google wanderings, I once saw a Singer 66-1 that did not have a motor mount, but a motor was attached to the machine. So, it can be done; and no, I didn't bookmark that page since it was not of importance to me at the time.
Many times the old treadle machines had motors added to them. Somehow a mount was made and holes where drilled to add the motor.
The one redeye must be just a treadle head in ugly condition - no rust though - I think it would actually work quite nicely. The other has a hole drilled, a bracket and a screw. I pulled it off - the wiring was horrid... I wanted to HC but that isn't going to happen. The machine is not so pristine. Looks like it was well used, then set in a shed or somewhere for years - plating doesn't want to clean up. I'm afraid to get aggressive with decals - but then again they aren't so hot anyway. I oiled it up and it has fantastic action. It was put in a very nice cabinet for an E machine...
Old 02-14-2012, 10:40 AM

Happy valentines day everyone!!!!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
Same to you Trish, and ditto for everyone else!

I'm trying out FMQ on a treadle for the first time...now while I have no issues with regular treadle sewing, this has been interesting!! LOL!! Taking a short break for a board check in and laundry change!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
Happy Valentine's Day to you too!
Hope everyone has a beautiful day!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Same to you Trish, and ditto for everyone else!

I'm trying out FMQ on a treadle for the first time...now while I have no issues with regular treadle sewing, this has been interesting!! LOL!! Taking a short break for a board check in and laundry change!
Charlee, it does take some getting use to, with practice it gets easier.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:06 AM

I hope so Monica! This is looking pretty bad, but it's working and I'm not ripping it! Using the 115 for it, it's an easy treadler, but my legs are only used to short seams!

I think I need to get my bike out of the storage unit and build some stamina!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
You know I've been wondering about that.

I can do really good on the electric machines. But not so much the treadles.
If I can get the treadle going for a long stitch like a seam or a hem I'm good. But short spaces like piecing things together for a quilt I just can't get the treadles to do what I can do easily with an electric.
And the one feature I'm finding I reallllly realllllyy want on a machine is a reverse or a back tacker. They make life sooo much easier.

Joe
Joe, then trade one of your 66 treadles for a 15-88 treadle! I use my 15-88 all the time because it has a beautiful stitch, drops its feed dogs, and it has reverse! So cool to treadle a machine with a back tack and FM! I also treadle my 319w, which not only has reverse, but it has lots and lots of decorative stitches!

Nancy