Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-27-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Well, Quiltncowgirl and I found a treadle to buy. Here it is

We have to drive to Paso Robles (about 100+ miles) to get it, but wonderful machine!! It's been in this same family since it was new.
Go for it!!!! It's the Singer VS2, just like mine (my avatar) just different decals. Mine makes a beautiful stitch top and bottom, almost like a Singer 201.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Heehee!

My daughter is sewing a pair of pants right now, and she ran into trouble doing the top stitching with her Janome TB30, birds nests underside.

I told her she could use one of my machines. I told her that I have a couple that produce beautiful top and bottom stitches. Well, the look of horror on her face made just made me laugh. I told her not the TREADLES, but my 401 or FW. She said maybe...no that's okay. Well, I got the 401 out, set it up, did a test run with fabric and thread. And she said "Your machine WINS".

So, she sits down to work with the 401, hits the foot pedal, and says "oh, man, this machine goes". heehee She also said " that big hunker of a thing goes faster than my Janome". So now, she is getting use to the 401's speed and learning to control the machine to use for her top stitching. I told her she could still try a treadle. :)
Monica, it is a good thing you chose the 401 for her. Those FWs are absolutely great piecing machine, but not powerful enough for jeans (if that is what her pants are)! You need a treadle for those!

Nancy
Nancy she loves the Singer 401. She ran into another problem with her Janome today. The needle in the Janome had slip down and was hitting plastic, a simple fix. But while I was figuring out the problem on the Janome, she did use the Singer 15-91. I pulled it out of her room and set it to go for her. She had the 401 setup to do top stitching and didin't want to mess with that. Well,she didn't like the knee control on the 15-91. The foot pedal was used instead. Once I got the Janome running for her again, she asked to go back to that. She is a lefty, and felt that the Singer 15-91 was set up for a right-handed person. She did state that the 401 works for a right handed or left handed person. I told her I would keep my eye out for another 401 for her. I told her she could have one 401 for regular stitching, one 401 for top stitching, and the 15-91 with the buttonholer step up to go for when she wants to make buttonholes.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
If I had a sister in Rochester, I'd send her, whether she thought me nutty or not!

:-(
[/quote]

LOL Miz Johnny, Aren't you clearing out your machines? ;)
Cute!!!
Old 07-27-2011, 03:46 PM

This guy want $650 for a Singer 401. Geez!!
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/hsh/2516772832.html
Old 07-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Power Poster

This guy want $650 for a Singer 401. Geez!!
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/hsh/2516772832.html
I should advertize mine out there for half that..... give the guy some competition... but the shipping would be a killer... :D
Old 07-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

Heehee!

My daughter is sewing a pair of pants right now, and she ran into trouble doing the top stitching with her Janome TB30, birds nests underside.

I told her she could use one of my machines. I told her that I have a couple that produce beautiful top and bottom stitches. Well, the look of horror on her face made just made me laugh. I told her not the TREADLES, but my 401 or FW. She said maybe...no that's okay. Well, I got the 401 out, set it up, did a test run with fabric and thread. And she said "Your machine WINS".

So, she sits down to work with the 401, hits the foot pedal, and says "oh, man, this machine goes". heehee She also said " that big hunker of a thing goes faster than my Janome". So now, she is getting use to the 401's speed and learning to control the machine to use for her top stitching. I told her she could still try a treadle. :)
Monica, it is a good thing you chose the 401 for her. Those FWs are absolutely great piecing machine, but not powerful enough for jeans (if that is what her pants are)! You need a treadle for those!

Nancy
Nancy she loves the Singer 401. She ran into another problem with her Janome today. The needle in the Janome had slip down and was hitting plastic, a simple fix. But while I was figuring out the problem on the Janome, she did use the Singer 15-91. I pulled it out of her room and set it to go for her. She had the 401 setup to do top stitching and didin't want to mess with that. Well,she didn't like the knee control on the 15-91. The foot pedal was used instead. Once I got the Janome running for her again, she asked to go back to that. She is a lefty, and felt that the Singer 15-91 was set up for a right-handed person. She did state that the 401 works for a right handed or left handed person. I told her I would keep my eye out for another 401 for her. I told her she could have one 401 for regular stitching, one 401 for top stitching, and the 15-91 with the buttonholer step up to go for when she wants to make buttonholes.
I will keep that in mind for my DGD who is a lefty. She might like a Singer 404 for straight stitch. They are cheap because they haven't caught on like the 301... set it up for it's own tasks.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:01 PM

How is this for a laugh! $1100
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2516603417.html
Old 07-27-2011, 04:04 PM

[quote=miriam][quote=vintagemotif]
I told her she could have one 401 for regular stitching, one 401 for top stitching, and the 15-91 with the buttonholer step up to go for when she wants to make buttonholes.
I will keep that in mind for my DGD who is a lefty. She might like a Singer 404 for straight stitch. They are cheap because they haven't caught on like the 301... set it up for it's own tasks.
Exactly! I read somewhere around 2 years ago of some person that has their machines set up for it's own task. At that time I thought it odd, but now it makes sense.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

[quote=vintagemotif][quote=miriam]
I told her she could have one 401 for regular stitching, one 401 for top stitching, and the 15-91 with the buttonholer step up to go for when she wants to make buttonholes.
Exactly! I read somewhere around 2 years ago of some person that has their machines set up for it's own task. At that time I thought it odd, but now it makes sense.
It's what business will do. I've done it. Another color thread, button holer, zigzag, ruffler or other attachments, I'd like to try for the chain stitch on one - just leave it set up all the time

I wonder why she thinks the 401 is better for a lefty? I do know you can see better with those because of the needle. My dyslexic sister LOVES her 403. She says it's the best she has ever had.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:09 PM

I have often wondered where these people come up with prices for these machines they sale.