Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I have often wondered where these people come up with prices for these machines they sale.
thin air?
Old 07-27-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
I have often wondered where these people come up with prices for these machines they sale.
thin air?
I was thinking of a darker, smellier place...

Went to St. Vincent DePaul "Thrift" store today. They had a Bronze colored New Home, with attachments, book, and cabinet.... $235.00. Also had a Singer 15-90, in really poor shape, few attachments, also $235.00!! When the lady asked if I wanted either of them, I flat out told her, I could buy either one on ebay cheaper, including shipping! Sheese....
Old 07-27-2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Heehee!

My daughter is sewing a pair of pants right now, and she ran into trouble doing the top stitching with her Janome TB30, birds nests underside.

I told her she could use one of my machines. I told her that I have a couple that produce beautiful top and bottom stitches. Well, the look of horror on her face made just made me laugh. I told her not the TREADLES, but my 401 or FW. She said maybe...no that's okay. Well, I got the 401 out, set it up, did a test run with fabric and thread. And she said "Your machine WINS".

So, she sits down to work with the 401, hits the foot pedal, and says "oh, man, this machine goes". heehee She also said " that big hunker of a thing goes faster than my Janome". So now, she is getting use to the 401's speed and learning to control the machine to use for her top stitching. I told her she could still try a treadle. :)
Monica, it is a good thing you chose the 401 for her. Those FWs are absolutely great piecing machine, but not powerful enough for jeans (if that is what her pants are)! You need a treadle for those!

Nancy
Nancy she loves the Singer 401. She ran into another problem with her Janome today. The needle in the Janome had slip down and was hitting plastic, a simple fix. But while I was figuring out the problem on the Janome, she did use the Singer 15-91. I pulled it out of her room and set it to go for her. She had the 401 setup to do top stitching and didin't want to mess with that. Well,she didn't like the knee control on the 15-91. The foot pedal was used instead. Once I got the Janome running for her again, she asked to go back to that. She is a lefty, and felt that the Singer 15-91 was set up for a right-handed person. She did state that the 401 works for a right handed or left handed person. I told her I would keep my eye out for another 401 for her. I told her she could have one 401 for regular stitching, one 401 for top stitching, and the 15-91 with the buttonholer step up to go for when she wants to make buttonholes.
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
You are ENABLING your daughter!!! Not only have you gotten her to "start" sewing on a vintage machine, but now, you are encouraging her to have multiple vintage machines. She will have only YOU to blame..

How fun though, to share this love with your daughter. You girls GO! There are plenty of machines out there to be rescued! :D
Old 07-27-2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by grayhare
What do you all think about this sewing machine set? And what model is it. Looks nicely taken care of. My other machine is a Spartan, I thought this would be a nice addition. I really like the cabinet and stool, would like to refinish them in a darker color. It is a listing on craigslist, any tips or advice. They are asking 90 OBO 65.
Thank you, Anamaria
Nice cabinet and stool, machine doesn't look bad, BUT I would go for a different machine. Where about in Northern CA are you?
Bay Area and Sacramento from time to time has good deals on Singer 15-90/91s (great for free motion quilting), Singer 201s and Singer 301 or 401. You just need to be patient and read up on each machine before heading out to purchase.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:18 PM

This guy want $650 for a Singer 401. Geez!!
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/hsh/2516772832.html
There are getting to be more and more dreamers (sellers of vintage machines) out there. Sometimes it makes me want to call them and say, "Good luck"! :roll:
Old 07-27-2011, 04:18 PM

I plain old wondered if there was a mchine there b/c all you see is the nice cabinet! Wondered if the poster was using the medicinal marijuana while posting. S/he is from Grass Valley.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:20 PM

[quote=SewExtreme][quote=vintagemotif]
I told her I would keep my eye out for another 401 for her. I told her she could have one 401 for regular stitching, one 401 for top stitching, and the 15-91 with the buttonholer step up to go for when she wants to make buttonholes.
You are ENABLING your daughter!!! Not only have you gotten her to "start" sewing on a vintage machine, but now, you are encouraging her to have multiple vintage machines. She will have only YOU to blame..

How fun though, to share this love with your daughter. You girls GO! There are plenty of machines out there to be rescued! :D
YUP! That's the goal. Save the vintage machines!!!! :lol:
This one for that task and that one for another. And then this cabinet looks different from that one....
Old 07-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Heehee!

My daughter is sewing a pair of pants right now, and she ran into trouble doing the top stitching with her Janome TB30, birds nests underside.

I told her she could use one of my machines. I told her that I have a couple that produce beautiful top and bottom stitches. Well, the look of horror on her face made just made me laugh. I told her not the TREADLES, but my 401 or FW. She said maybe...no that's okay. Well, I got the 401 out, set it up, did a test run with fabric and thread. And she said "Your machine WINS".

So, she sits down to work with the 401, hits the foot pedal, and says "oh, man, this machine goes". heehee She also said " that big hunker of a thing goes faster than my Janome". So now, she is getting use to the 401's speed and learning to control the machine to use for her top stitching. I told her she could still try a treadle. :)
Monica, it is a good thing you chose the 401 for her. Those FWs are absolutely great piecing machine, but not powerful enough for jeans (if that is what her pants are)! You need a treadle for those!

Nancy
Nancy she loves the Singer 401. She ran into another problem with her Janome today. The needle in the Janome had slip down and was hitting plastic, a simple fix. But while I was figuring out the problem on the Janome, she did use the Singer 15-91. I pulled it out of her room and set it to go for her. She had the 401 setup to do top stitching and didin't want to mess with that. Well,she didn't like the knee control on the 15-91. The foot pedal was used instead. Once I got the Janome running for her again, she asked to go back to that. She is a lefty, and felt that the Singer 15-91 was set up for a right-handed person. She did state that the 401 works for a right handed or left handed person. I told her I would keep my eye out for another 401 for her. I told her she could have one 401 for regular stitching, one 401 for top stitching, and the 15-91 with the buttonholer step up to go for when she wants to make buttonholes.

I detect an ulterior motive.... YOU don't want HER to call YOU a... a... a... a... you know the 'H' word.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
I plain old wondered if there was a mchine there b/c all you see is the nice cabinet! Wondered if the poster was using the medicinal marijuana while posting. S/he is from Grass Valley.
Maybe these people are having the machines appraised by a dealer for insurance reasons and using this as a price. They could be just greedy.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:25 PM
Power Poster

makes my prices look good