Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-10-2012, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
I've been wanting a hand crank for awhile for no good reason, but you all know how that goes. Anyway, this turned up on Craigslist and the price seemed reasonable, so she's joined my menagerie. I have been trying to learn something about the Harris No.9 and about all I have found out is that it was a German-made machine sold by the Harris company in Great Britain (as it was known at the time). I have exactly one needle, one presser foot, one bobbin spool and the shuttle. Everything seems to be intact and in better-than-usual condition. The crank makes things turn with no resistance, and no loud noises. The serial number is 1634982, if that means anything to anyone, and the front slide plate is engraved with the Harris company name, London, and the information that it was made in Stettin. I don't have a manual for it, but the seller gave me a Singer #28 manual, and it appears to be pretty similar.

A little extraneous research turns up the fact that the town that used to be known as Stettin has during various periods of its history been part of Sweden, Prussia and, since WW2, Poland. It is now called Szczecin, so it's quite certain my new baby was born some time before that war.

I have not gotten myself together enough to pull the needle and see if it looks like any commonly available today, so that will be an important hurdle. Even if it does, that wouldn't mean that the needle is one she's happy with just because it's in there now. I'm not sure about threading, and at the moment haven't figured out how to remove the bobbin, but I'll psych myself up for all that eventually. I like to look at her and will probably just park her somewhere as a conversation piece. I may be a little spoiled by having had electricity all my life, but I'm impressed with what people could do without it. We had no power here for 5 days after Hurricane Ike, so it's possible this machine will someday get to strut her stuff for me.

If anyone has information about this machine, or a source for parts and a manual, I'll be eager to know. Thanks for the great community we have here!
Rose it is so much fun when people do some research and tell us about the machines. You need to go into the Vintage Machine Photos album and post these pictures and explain what you know about this machine. The photos shop is where we can go to see the different machines up close and personal and learn about each one from your descriptions of the machine's history. A very nice machine indeed!

I hope you survived the hurricane ok?

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 02-10-2012 at 05:56 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by callen View Post
This is my first venture into vintage machines & the machine I am looking at purchasing is in need of some TLC.
Can u give me any advice on how I can safely spruce this machine up? I have only seen pics & it looks like the machine is dull and the gold & red design (it is not a red eye but could be a sphinx - I can't tell from the pics).
Any advice would be appreciated.
Callen, Liquid Gold works great to shine up the old machines and cabinets. It won't take off the decals like some of the other products! Just be very careful when cleaning around the decals as you could silver them.

Nancy
Old 02-10-2012, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Nancy,

The Alphasew motor will stay there as long as needed. But I shall continue searching for the brush caps until I find one or the hot place freezes over.

Joe
Joe, I understand! We all go to what ever means we have to, to get those old machines refurbished!

Nancy
Old 02-10-2012, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Nancy, it would be very inaccurate and hard to use, IMO. That's why the never made a hit with the machine. But, for a novelty..why not. I suspect he will call you after he tries it and gets sick of fighting the fabric moving everywhere:>
I hope so, that would be a fun machine to put in my collection!

Randa, I tried the walking foot I have and no go! It doesn't work! Sorry!

Nancy
Old 02-10-2012, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Joe, tracking the 15 clones, the HA machines, seems to be a puzzle. Here's the one I'm thinking of buying. It's sewing well but the motor is noisy at lower speeds. I have no idea if that's normal. Mine is a Montgomery Wards, but there are all external labels. [ATTACH=CONFIG]310450[/ATTACH]
irishrose,
That is a nice machine. I'm kinda fond of the Japanese clones. If the machine sews good I'd buy it. The motor is a minor detail and they can be had for relatively cheap prices. The Alphasew motor in my machine would have cost $35.00 new, but the sewing machine guy had a virtually new used one for $20.00. It runs beautifully.
I'd check the belt for wear, they make noise. Check to see if the motor has oil or grease ports, they can get noisy when dry. And check all the mounting bolts and screws. It loose they'll make noise too.

Joe
Old 02-10-2012, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
I loved this video of your cabinet Charlee! I can see why you wanted that cabinet so bad - it actually has a push button level to raise the machine like a modern cabinet! While in the u-tube's, I also watched a few video's of my 319w in treadle! I so love that 319! What wonderful decorative stitches I am getting now!

Monica, I know why you love the Necchi more than the 15 to FM with! It is just because you are prejudiced! The Necchi was your childhood machine!

Charlee, I love your bright table runner! Geeze, you are fast girl! You just got that 115!

Nancy
Thanks Nancy! I'm not so fast...the machine needed NOTHING, not even tension adjustment in order to sew...it does need some work on the stop action, and the bobbin winder needs adjustment so it will come in contact with the handwheel without me holding it down, but other than those two things, the machine was ready to go, and go it does! LOL...there is absolutely no "slow" about it...it's a racehorse!
Old 02-10-2012, 08:48 AM

Joe, have you checked with Guy Baker to see if he has your brush caps? I think that Guy has just about EVERYTHING... google him.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by pennijanine View Post
I don't know how I got so lucky, but I have two walking feet for my featherweight. Both penguins!!
Shesh, I've only got one and consider myself fortunate, I think we got it in Canada and from a junk shop where they didn't know what it was. I saw one sell recently on Sewitsforsale for $350...otherwise they've all gone for near $600....every time I mention that DH keeps screaming (half seriously) sell it,sell it
Old 02-10-2012, 09:27 AM

OK Texas folks....here's an eBay listing you can't pass up!! Wow!! Don't you just wonder what is in all those bentwood cases?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-ANTIQUE-A...item2314395bed
Old 02-10-2012, 10:37 AM

OH my goodness my Hubby would just love to be turned loose in that room. Glad it's in TX.