Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-05-2012, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Charlee, it sounds like you had fun anyway - that is what counts! My DH and I went to old Sacramento yesterday then around that area just for a outing. We went into a couple thrift stores, and all I found was a Touch and Throw, so I passed on it. Still a fun day, but I never seem to have any luck at Thrift stores!

Nancy
I did have a good time Nancy! Really wish I could have snagged that two spools...I *really* want one! I will be patient tho...and now I have "bait" for an Eldredge in the needles, so maybe soon?

Mom in law also gave me some of William's grandmother's spools of thread (wooden), a crocheted tablecloth that's almost done, and she gave me a book, "The Marriage Book" from 1917!!! We read through some of it....OMG!! We were cracking up!! It's amazing that any of us are still married according to this guy...we're not even supposed to be sleeping in the same bed with out spousal units...too much temptation for "indulgences" ya know!!
Old 01-05-2012, 06:39 AM

it the 2 spools what i am thinking.....did you see the machine that runs from two spools of thread not a bobbin???
Old 01-05-2012, 06:42 AM

Sunlit, there's a National Two Spools for sale in Idaho, about an hour and a half away from where I was visiting...I didn't get a chance to go get it, and the guy had a reasonable price on it. I didn't get to go see it, or it would be residing in our dining room as I type!
Old 01-05-2012, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
Thank you for the welcome. The 9W might have looked better but my son decided to clean it before they gave it to me. He may have damaged the decals but then again, a hundred years of use may have. My DIL is 25 and she says her grandma was still sewing on it when she was a teenager.

The 301 is a wonderful machine. It has become extremely popular. Another member and her husband have bought several that I know of recently. For a while we were bidding against one another and I finally figured that out and quit! No point in just driving them up. I really want a black 301. They appeal to me so much. I also have a cabinet that a short bed would fit in. I think it needs the LBOW.

Oh dear....I think I have a problem!

Hi Mary...glad you have joined our group. I have a black 301 that I just adore, and her name is Ida after my maternal grandmother. I do most of my quilt piecing on the 301, and I just love her very straight even stitches. I have a couple of old treadles, too, plus a few more. I could get real crazy over buying 301s because I do love them a lot!!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:28 AM

Well, it is going to be in the 60's again today. We haven't had any rain to speak of at all this winter! We had a little rain in October, none in November or December so I haven't been sewing much at all! The winter is usually my time to sew - you know rain days! Not this winter, and I am getting worried about the no rain thing! Anyway, it is beautiful out side so I am off for another trail ride!

Monica, I love Leah's site. Thank you for posting that information. I have a queen sized quilt that I did a little trapunto on that I can't put on my long arm, nor can I do 'quilt as you go' like I do on a lot of my quilts on the 15-88 treadle. Leah's free motion quilting will be perfect for that quilt! I am going to pin it and free motion along with Leah once I figure out where her weekly tutorials are!

Nancy
Old 01-05-2012, 09:32 AM

Charlee, can't believe you passed on that Pink Brother!!! I would have had to drag it home with me...LOL
Old 01-05-2012, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post

Oh dear....I think I have a problem!
Welcome to the club!!
Old 01-05-2012, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Randa I thought I sent you both types of manuals, I'm sorry if I didn't! One was for a rotary and one was for a shuttle? Anyway, here is the shuttle manual for the New Home and it says to turn the handwheel towards you on page 07a. Good luck with the tension problems! http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...ges/image7.htm You have to print out the manuals from the Smithsonian one page at a time, but it is well worth it since this manual is for your machine.

Nancy
You said you would hunt up the shuttle one and get it to me, but believe me, I know how that goes! LOL! I did print a few pages of the Smithsonian, and all of the rotary. I love reading these old manuals! Thank you for the shuttle manual....I'll get to printing it soon. I'm not sure the problem is the tension as much as how I threaded it, so hopefully I'll get a bit more direction in this manual. Thanks, ever so much, Nancy!
Old 01-05-2012, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
Charlee, can't believe you passed on that Pink Brother!!! I would have had to drag it home with me...LOL
I know, huh?! Dunno what I was thinking, but I'm now thinking that I *REALLY* want that machine....may have to send Mom back to get it for me! LOL
Old 01-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

Wouldn't SU look cute sewing on that pink Brother???