Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-04-2011, 04:28 PM

Miriam,
That's a very pretty tan featherweight, looks just like mine. I'm in the center,dh is on the right and BJ is on the left. Freddie the tan FW.
Sharon W.
Attached Thumbnails texas-round-up-2010.jpg  
Old 12-04-2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Iris and I each found Domestic machines on GW auction recently. They are every bit as odd as that Kenmore 71. The case is a lot like that too. The machines are shaped different from the Kenmore but still that aluminum body. I shot pics but my computer doesn't like the new QB very much - Iris are you up for posting yours too? Maybe we can get an old aluminum machine thread going on here. My machine is pretty light weight but it is in a heavy frame and carries in a heavy suit case. Mine has the same kind of attachments as the Kenmore 71. My Domestic has a timing issue. Maybe I need to search and see if it takes normal needles or not before I tinker with it. That Kenmore has the side tension too. My Domestic has a tension knob on the front and the thread on the side. I'm thinking I saw a date on the machine somewhere too - seems like it was mid 50s. The bobbin is odd too - larger than usual.
sure I can take pictures, then you can tell me how to post them, ain't figured out that part Probually won't be until Thurs tho, lighting is really lousy by the time I get home
Old 12-04-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by bloomin'Iris View Post
sure I can take pictures, then you can tell me how to post them, ain't figured out that part Probually won't be until Thurs tho, lighting is really lousy by the time I get home
I'll be taking pics of each machine as I move them into my new sewing room. DH doesn't think they will all fit, I say 'where there's a will, there's a way', watch me.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by bloomin'Iris View Post
I'll be taking pics of each machine as I move them into my new sewing room. DH doesn't think they will all fit, I say 'where there's a will, there's a way', watch me.
You go, girl. In my dream home, my sewing studio is 30 feet by 60 feet so all of them fit and I can open up cabinets also. DH just doesn't know this yet. ~ Chris
Old 12-04-2011, 04:46 PM

While visiting some 2nd hand/antique stores Friday I saw a New Home treadle machine. Did not really inspect the machine all that well but can get it for $49.00 but it doesn't have a belt. My question is how hard is it to find a belt and is there anything else I should be aware of? I have always wanted a treadle machine and have been reading this post with a lot of anticipation. Any help you can give me that would help me decide if I want her to hold it for me. Thanks
Old 12-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by crewsemj View Post
While visiting some 2nd hand/antique stores Friday I saw a New Home treadle machine. Did not really inspect the machine all that well but can get it for $49.00 but it doesn't have a belt. My question is how hard is it to find a belt and is there anything else I should be aware of? I have always wanted a treadle machine and have been reading this post with a lot of anticipation. Any help you can give me that would help me decide if I want her to hold it for me. Thanks
Charlee uses leather boot laces for her treadle belts - sew it with dental floss. See if they will allow you $10 for the belt??? Sew-classic has some belts if you want to order a real belt....
Old 12-04-2011, 05:32 PM

I would be sure that everything moves when you turn the wheel, that there is a shuttle and a bobbin, if it is a shuttle machine, or have a bobbin holder and bobbin if it is a rotary machine. Also be sure there is a bobbin winder. (my first one I was so excited, I didn't notice it didn't have a bobbin winder). Are all the cover plates there, and does it make your heart sing??? Do you really want it, or do you want to keep looking??

Texas Jan
Old 12-04-2011, 05:49 PM

Default My Lucky Day !

A couple of months ago a friend gave me a 1903 White Rotary machine with no cabinet, and a strange piece of wood that went with it. After some research, I found out this was one of the first White Rotary machines that were made for just a few years, before they changed to the White Rotary name to White Family Rotary with a whole different cover plate for the bobbin area. I posted the machine and the wooden hole cover. Several people wrote me hoping to buy the little wooden hole cover, but I wanted to find a cabinet for my White and the wooden hole cover.
The same friend that brought me the machine called on Friday and said he had been at an estate sale that had a White cabinet that he thought was the correct one. It had no machine, just a cabinet. I high tailed it over there on Saturday morning, and sure enough, it was the right one. It is a bit rough and will need Glen's wood treatment, but for $35.00, was a good deal. Now there is one more waiting in line to be restored. My White Rotary and the wooden hole cover fit it like a hand in a glove. Here is the cabinet and the White that I have already restored, sitting pretty. You can see the wooden hole cover at the left of the machine. The treadle irons attach to the bottom of the drawers, so the irons are only about 20" tall. Many of them have been used to make coffee tables, like the Singer ones are used for regular tables. I don't even want to think about what happens to all those machines that are removed.

Texas Jan
Attached Thumbnails cabinet-before.jpg   mounted-cabinet.jpg   hand-hole-cover.jpg  
Old 12-04-2011, 06:49 PM

quiltdoctor , so glad you found a cabinet. It looks just like the one we have. It will be pretty when you give it Glenn's treatment. Congrulations. We still need the plug for ours but with the pictures you sent us DH is sure he can make one.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:50 PM

Default Belts

Belts are easy to get. They can be found at any sewing machine shop that repairs old machines and run about $10. Kathie