Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-12-2011, 03:44 AM
Power Poster

http://louisville.craigslist.org/bab/2691505573.html
WHY OH WHY does it have to be SO far away.... This one is really cool - I bet it would ship though...
BTW there are real nice 301s on CL in Cincinnati Ohio and in Dayton Ohio - also too far today...
Old 11-12-2011, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
http://louisville.craigslist.org/bab/2691505573.html
WHY OH WHY does it have to be SO far away.... This one is really cool - I bet it would ship though...
BTW there are real nice 301s on CL in Cincinnati Ohio and in Dayton Ohio - also too far today...
Wow! Miriam, That is really a neat looking machine. I am going to have to start a mini sewing machine collection!

Nancy
Old 11-12-2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
Hahaha!! I can't do it this weekend, and I HATE driving into L.A. area...too much traffic!!

Quiltncowgirl and I are doing a trade....you might remember I have the cabinet that goes to her Singer VS2...my 66 Lotus was sitting in it. I debated with myself for weeks over it, and decided that I could find another cabinet I liked, have her buy it, and then swap so she can have the VS2 cab back. So we're doing that trade. Plus, I found some irons in her area to make a base for my Davis VF to be in so I can treadle my old girl....she's ready...all cleaned up, oiled and ready. So, my DH is going to put a wood top on the irons and custom rout it out to fit. So, that's 2. And with the first treadle base I am swapping with her, I get the bonus of a 1956 Singer 15 (I think!). So....too much to do this weekend. Can't go after the other machine. Too many projects!!
Janice it sounds like you and Sheryl have it all figured out! Those Davis cabinets are really hard to find; and, if you do find one it usually needs lots of work. I think it is great that your DH can make you a top for the Davis! I have bound a bunch of quilts using my Davis Vertical Feed. I love to use that machine, but I am fickle! It is like I tell people when they ask me which horse I love the best - it is the one I am riding at the time! The same thing with my sewing machines - I love them all - but, the one I am using I love the most at the time I am using it! Have a great weekend working on your projects!

Nancy
Old 11-12-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Beautiful cabinet. I was reading up on Hale Bros and they were a big outfit with 6-8 large stores across CA from 1880's to 1968. According to a Post Card, there San Fran store was the first building up after the Quake of '06. Guess they went the way of Woolworth's. Ain't the web grand.
Jon
Jon, thank you so much for all the information on my Hales Crescent. It is so much fun being a member of this shop, because of all the education and help we receive! I am documenting everything you have sent me about the Hales Crescent and the Hales Good Goods store! Now everyone on here will know what they are getting if they find a Hales Crescent. I REALLY want my DH to get the cabinet done now, but he has to actually replace some split boards and veneer on the flip top and top itself. The rest of the cabinet is in pretty good shape, it is just the top that is really bad. It never got wet - was kept indoors - but, looks like someone dropped it, or dropped something on it!

Nancy
Old 11-12-2011, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by MisDixie View Post
Well Nancy that is a real cute little quilt! Just too cute to pass up. Thanks for the info, going to the list!
MisDixie and Monica, please post pictures if you do the little sewing machine wall hanging. It is so much fun to see what other people do with those patterns. I tried to make thread guides and threaded actual thread through the thread guides to make the little wall hanging look pretty close to the real thing. I used crystals to make the red 'S' like a white feather weight has!

Nancy
Old 11-12-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
OK, lets see if I have this right.... If I want a picot hemstitcher for either my 99 or 222, it will work for both, but I would need different cover plates for each. Are the cover plates very easy to get? How expensive are they? I think I still want one, but would have to be sure I can get the cover plates to work with them.
I wish I could answer your questions, but I'm betting that if you go to Sew-Classic, she can. I have the two plates that came with the two hemstitchers that I have. When I bought the Singer hemstitcher, I knew already that the plate would fit my 99. (got it on ebay). The other one is the one I bought first, and thought, at the time, that the cover plate would be "generic" like the coverplates for the buttonholers. I was wrong, and it was a learning experience. So I set out to find a machine that it would work with. I believe I have that machine in my 66-1, but I haven't actually tried it yet. These coverplates are different. You have to take the needleplate off, and replace it with these plates, which are raised a bit to protect the feeddogs as opposed to just keeping the dogs from moving fabric like the buttonhole coverplates do. That "piercer" that penetrates the fabric is a wicked little nail...and when it hits, it hits hard...definitely do NOT want it to hit those dogs, or you'd be replacing them!
Old 11-12-2011, 07:59 AM

I would love to post pictures but right now the camera and the computer are not on speaking terms! I have tried and tried to download pictures and those two are not getting along and playing nicely.
MisDixie
Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
MisDixie and Monica, please post pictures if you do the little sewing machine wall hanging. It is so much fun to see what other people do with those patterns. I tried to make thread guides and threaded actual thread through the thread guides to make the little wall hanging look pretty close to the real thing. I used crystals to make the red 'S' like a white feather weight has!

Nancy
Old 11-12-2011, 09:13 AM

What is the most a singer 201 is worth?
Old 11-12-2011, 09:36 AM

I love this group and although I have only one Singer treadle, I eavesdrop on your conversations and enjoy every minute of it and learn a lot. Thanks for being hear.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Weedwoman View Post
What is the most a singer 201 is worth?
UH, beauty IS in the eye of the beholder. Is it cleaned up and in nice shape? OR Are you buying a project?