Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-23-2012, 07:57 AM

Nancy,

What is this: Blue Magic 12a TR 3 Resin Glaze - and where do you find it? I've asked before but didn't get an answer.

I don't have a 3 yo grandson to mess with things, but I wonder if my cats did it?
My wife said maybe the resident spook did it. (Yes we really do have a resident spirit that lives here.)

Joe
Old 03-23-2012, 08:13 AM

This explains it all. It was the spirit and she was a seamstress. If I ever linger, I'd want to play with the machine too.

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Nancy,

What is this: Blue Magic 12a TR 3 Resin Glaze - and where do you find it? I've asked before but didn't get an answer.

I don't have a 3 yo grandson to mess with things, but I wonder if my cats did it?
My wife said maybe the resident spook did it. (Yes we really do have a resident spirit that lives here.)

Joe
Old 03-23-2012, 08:29 AM

[QUOTE=JWhat is this: Blue Magic 12a TR 3 Resin Glaze - and where do you find it? [/QUOTE]

If you're as lazy as I am, you can find it on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

pat
Old 03-23-2012, 08:37 AM

I use Dollar Store baby oil for cleaning as it is cheap. Baby oil is really only light mineral oil plus
some fragrance. I have been know to oil a machine with it, too.
After all we all do want our babies' bottoms to smell sweet, don't we?

Cathy

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
Miz kaki has talked of covering a machine in baby oil and just letting it soak for a week before she even starts on it. Laura
Old 03-23-2012, 08:42 AM

Donna- I spent a lot of brain cells trying to figure out the Singer number system- like, did-1 mean one thing, and -2 another, across the different models. The best I can figure, it does not. Singer named their machines with numbers. So, 99, 101, 15, 201, etc are the names of the models. Any numbers that come after a dash, like 15-91 is a Model 15, with the slight variations of a potted motor (for example). Some models were made longer than others. Some have better reputations than other, but for everyone has their particular favorites. Once the Machines began to have names ( touch and Sew) instead of numbers, it all sort of went bad. Once I made myself figure out what each machine I owned was, it got easier. I still go to the Sandman page when I get confused. The picture gallery at ISMACS is helpful, too. Hope this helps! Laura
Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Donna,

My best suggestion is to google for information on sewing machines, Singer, Singer 201, Singer 66, Singer decals, etc., and start reading what is on the internet. There is such a wealth of information that can be found on the internet. There are free copies of Singer manuals that can be copied from net.

Please also feel free to post photos of your machines here and any projects that you have made using that machine!!
Old 03-23-2012, 08:51 AM

Cathy,

Just so long as it isn't made of babies! But I just Googled baby oil and found all kinds of other stuff in it. Yuck?

http://pattyinglishms.hubpages.com/h...il-Ingredients

pat
Old 03-23-2012, 08:58 AM

Pat,

I guess I should have said to 'read the ingredient list and buy the stuff that is only mineral oil and fragrance".

BTW shame on you for spreading the rumor that baby oil is made from babies.

Cathy

Originally Posted by pfroggg View Post
Cathy,

Just so long as it isn't made of babies! But I just Googled baby oil and found all kinds of other stuff in it. Yuck?

http://pattyinglishms.hubpages.com/h...il-Ingredients

pat
Old 03-23-2012, 09:09 AM

Laura,

The number after the dash is unique to each model series. In the 15 series the -88 is a treadle, the-89 is a hand-drank, the -90 is a belted motor, and the-91 is a potted motor. In the 201 series the -1 is a treadle, the -2 is a potted motor, the -3 is a belted motor, and the -4 is a hand-crank.
The 66 and 99 also have differences indicated by the dash number. I probably have some of that info, but would really have to dig to find it.
Yes, guys I do lose things and I'm not nearly as organized as you think.

Cathy

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
Donna- I spent a lot of brain cells trying to figure out the Singer number system- like, did-1 mean one thing, and -2 another, across the different models. The best I can figure, it does not. Singer named their machines with numbers. So, 99, 101, 15, 201, etc are the names of the models. Any numbers that come after a dash, like 15-91 is a Model 15, with the slight variations of a potted motor (for example). Some models were made longer than others. Some have better reputations than other, but for everyone has their particular favorites. Once the Machines began to have names ( touch and Sew) instead of numbers, it all sort of went bad. Once I made myself figure out what each machine I owned was, it got easier. I still go to the Sandman page when I get confused. The picture gallery at ISMACS is helpful, too. Hope this helps! Laura

Last edited by Mizkaki; 03-23-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by pfroggg View Post
If you're as lazy as I am, you can find it on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

pat
I found Blue Magic TR3 Resin Glaze at major auto parts houses such as O'Reilly's, Autozone, etc. It is a premium car polish in a little can and does great work too.

Last edited by melinda1962; 03-23-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:24 AM

Melinda,

Thanks. I've got an O'Reilly's fairly close by.

Joe