Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-20-2011, 03:48 PM

I just returned for a quilt retreat Tues - today. Had a great time!! Today we went into the small town to visit an antique store. Emma Creeks Antiques in Hesston, KS. They have a National in a mission style quarter sawn cabinet. The decals are not very good, but the cabinet is very good. They also have a Frister & Rossman HC with the top. Decals are not so good, but the top looks pretty good. It does turn and the shuttle and bobbin are there. Both machines have a $135 price tag on them. Don't know how much you could talk them down, perhaps 10%.
Tommie
Old 08-20-2011, 04:01 PM

That's funny; all the machines I want seem to be in Texas!!
Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by quilt addict
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
That's a nice machine, but I would be going for the Davis NVF instead if I didn't already own two Davis NVFs.

[url=http://modesto.craigslist.org/atq/2526424570.html
http://modesto.craigslist.org/atq/2526424570.html[/url]
Oh, I would love to get this machine. But too far away. Anyone want to foster for me????

Lisa
Wish I was close enough!! I'd foster it for you! Of course, you might not ever get to pick it up, but I'd call it yours!! :lol:
Why are all the pretty machines at least 1,500 miles away?? No fair,no fair.!!!
Old 08-20-2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
A Featherweight 221 for sale for only $50.00 in Johnston, RI, for anyone in that area.

http://providence.craigslist.org/atq/2556466737.html

It does have some flaked paint on the front side but it doesn't look like it affects the sewing surface.
THIS one should be snapped right up :shock: :shock: :shock: http://westernmass.craigslist.org/atq/2526761975.html
:roll: :roll: :mrgreen:
Old 08-20-2011, 04:38 PM

A Featherweight 221 for sale for only $50.00 in Johnston, RI, for anyone in that area.

http://providence.craigslist.org/atq/2556466737.html

It does have some flaked paint on the front side but it doesn't look like it affects the sewing surface.
THIS one should be snapped right up :shock: :shock: :shock: http://westernmass.craigslist.org/atq/2526761975.html
:roll: :roll: :mrgreen:
Lots of people with old sewing machines dream BIG when it comes to price!
Old 08-20-2011, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Yep, I have two of those great Two Spools and I love them both. Monica, Vintagemotif, also has two of the Two Spools. We both use our Two Spools for all our piecing. The Two Spool makes it so easy to piece first because you have two spools of thread so your time spent changing the bobbin is greatly reduced, and second that original foot on the Two Spools is exactly 1/4"! How can you beat that!

Nancy

Probably a dumb question, but why, oh why, did they quit making two spools??? Seems to me they should have been the wave of the future. Crazy! I get so tired of sewing and getting into it and finally notice three feet back I ran out of bobbin thread! Happens way too frequently

I totally agree with that! It seems like the large(huge) bobbin would have been a very good idea indeed!
I was sewing flying geese units for a double sawtooth star yesterday and sewed 2 blocks without any bobbin thread.
:shock:
Well, Sharon my guess is that because the Two Spools and the Davis Vertical Feed were 'different' that people just didn't take to them. Both machines are anomalies. The Two Spools should have taken off like gang busters, but it didn't - probably due to the fact that it takes a little getting use to inserting the second spool correctly. The Davis Vertical Feed should have been much more popular than it was - with the walking foot, it is a great machine for working over multiple layers like binding quilts. The one thing I have noticed about my Davis Vertical Feed is that 'Betty' really gives me a workout. The Davis, with no feed dogs to help move the fabric, is harder to treadle, at least my Betty takes some energy to treadle!

So I think, the Davis is more work which most women didn't want to do, and the Two Spools just took some getting use to. Remember, back then the general consensus was that women couldn't do technical things! Oh and I know Sharon knows this about sewing machine history as do most people who have been on this board a long time, but read the history of sewing machines! It was thought that women would not be able to handle too much technical stuff!

Nancy
Old 08-20-2011, 04:57 PM

"It was thought that women would not be able to handle too much technical stuff!"

Well, it seems we women blew that theory all to hell, didn't we? lol
Old 08-20-2011, 05:15 PM

Ok so I started cleaning up my machine and something just isn't right with this area I wasn't planning on taking it apart but I saw a bunch of lint in between the disc. Can someone please help I think the problem is with the little wire part not being in the right spot
Attached Thumbnails attachment-244473.jpe  
Old 08-20-2011, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Look what I found on Craigslist in Dallas. She asked $50, but when I talked to her, she said she would take $40 because it wasn't a machine you could really sew on. These are before pictures. She needs a good oiling, but I don't think she will need a full kerosene spa treatment.
If this Dallas 100 + degree weather ever goes away, I'll be cleaning machines for weeks.

Texas Jan :-D
Texas Jan that Lotus is going to be a knockout when she is spit shined!

Nancy
Old 08-20-2011, 05:17 PM
Banned

I wonder what this machine is?

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/hsh/2551039443.html

There should be a separate thread showing mystery Craigslist machines...lol
Singer 237/239 or something close to those numbers. Look at the bobbin winder and the light that should cue you in a little bit. But it is an Italian built machine I can almost guarantee it.

Billy
Old 08-20-2011, 05:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mom2boys
Ok so I started cleaning up my machine and something just isn't right with this area I wasn't planning on taking it apart but I saw a bunch of lint in between the disc. Can someone please help I think the problem is with the little wire part not being in the right spot
Take the disc an all back off and then with a screw driver in the slot of the stud loosen the stud then position the spring about where you want it (I usually clock them at 11 o'clock) and then tighten it up then reassemble.

Billy