Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-30-2011, 06:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Glenn
sorry did not see that it was friction drive. Could be the armature shaft is wobbly in the motor. Just a suggestion
Glenn
What happens with these things are that people leave the motor sitting against the handwheel and it sits there for 20 or more years it gets a flat spot where it sits. Then when it comes time to use the machine it has the bumpy wheel wobble. I had a Corvette that sat in my garage for 15 years that I bought and never drove when I did decide to drive it around the block it had flat spots in the tires and just about beat me to death!.

Billy
Old 10-30-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
sorry did not see that it was friction drive. Could be the armature shaft is wobbly in the motor. Just a suggestion
Glenn
What happens with these things are that people leave the motor sitting against the handwheel and it sits there for 20 or more years it gets a flat spot where it sits. Then when it comes time to use the machine it has the bumpy wheel wobble. I had a Corvette that sat in my garage for 15 years that I bought and never drove when I did decide to drive it around the block it had flat spots in the tires and just about beat me to death!.

Billy
My 1945 Chrysler Windsor does that when I don't drive it for a while and it will jar your teeth out until they heat up. I think I need to but new tires LOL Glad see back for awhile.
glenn
Old 10-30-2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett
Ok, really did nothing I should have this weekend (except mow). Instead, the White Embossed FR is done. She sews, although she rocks all over the place if you let loose! Without the motor, fine...motor alone, fine...altogether, better not go too fast!

I don't really name my machines, but she may be just have to be Cookie. :)
The machine turned out really nice. Is the belt doing all the vibration. It could be the wrong belt and is adjusted properly.
glenn
Thanks! It's a friction drive, so no belt. I did smooth out the old rubber wheel some, and that helped a bit. Slow speeds seem fine.
What size is the shaft on the motor and can you post a pic of it so I can see it. I have a lot of new friction wheels for those machines but they had several different shaft sizes.

Billy
This pic is when I had it pulled apart to clean, hope it makes sense. The wheel is held on the motor post by by a set screw. I can't find my tape measure, so I was using a quilting ruler, not terribly precise!

Measurements
[ATTACH=CONFIG]279871[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-279818.jpe  
Old 10-30-2011, 06:29 PM
Banned

I think I have that one out in the studio (1/4 shafts were very popular) let me look tomorrow morning and I will PM you and let you know. If for some reason you do not hear from me before the afternoon PM me to remind me about it. I am having to jot down all sorts of things because these meds mess with my short term memory LOL!

Billy
Old 10-30-2011, 06:30 PM

I have an extra friction wheel if you need it Bennett, but first try your hardware store! The spousal unit was able to get a new rubber that fit on my Number 8...runs perfectly now!
Old 10-30-2011, 06:31 PM

Well I know it has been 3 or 4 years since I ave been on ebay and I now know why. I was bopping around looking at several listings in different areas and I have been buying up a lot of the owner manuals and factory repair manuals for different sewing machines including a lot of the industrials. But in the process I had to get this because it was too good to pass up!!! I know it isnt really vintage machine material but it will look really good in my other collection I have and I cant wait to play it!!

Billy
You sound like my BIL. :) I think he would like that Ibanez. We now have a running joke, as long as I don't have as many sewing machines as he has guitars, I'm not certifiable!
Old 10-30-2011, 06:38 PM

Billy--thanks, I may have to jot that down too to remember.

Charlee--My part time job is in a hardware store, so I may hit the fastener section tomorrow when I go in and see if something will work.

I was able to get it smoothed out some with one of the little sanding drums on a rotary tool, but I was kind of afraid to take too much off in case I couldn't get another one. I wonder if putting a rubber band around it might help? Just kind of thinking out loud...

Thanks for all the help y'all!
Old 10-30-2011, 06:41 PM
Banned

Well I know it has been 3 or 4 years since I ave been on ebay and I now know why. I was bopping around looking at several listings in different areas and I have been buying up a lot of the owner manuals and factory repair manuals for different sewing machines including a lot of the industrials. But in the process I had to get this because it was too good to pass up!!! I know it isnt really vintage machine material but it will look really good in my other collection I have and I cant wait to play it!!

Billy
You sound like my BIL. :) I think he would like that Ibanez. We now have a running joke, as long as I don't have as many sewing machines as he has guitars, I'm not certifiable!
I hate that color that is on it but for the money I could not pass it up!

I have 2 more Ibanez guitars, a Jem and another RG 7 string but this one is going to go to the guitar shop as soon as it gets here and I am getting it routed out for the sustain and set it up like Steve Vai's FLO. I have always wanted to get another Jem to do this to but I could never find the right candidate. But this guitar is so close to my Jem its not funny and it needs work so I am not afraid to cut this one up.

This is FLO..........
[img]http://www.truetemperament.com/site/.../Evo/flo_1.jpg[/img]

Billy
Old 10-30-2011, 06:45 PM
Banned

Billy--thanks, I may have to jot that down too to remember.

Charlee--My part time job is in a hardware store, so I may hit the fastener section tomorrow when I go in and see if something will work.

I was able to get it smoothed out some with one of the little sanding drums on a rotary tool, but I was kind of afraid to take too much off in case I couldn't get another one. I wonder if putting a rubber band around it might help? Just kind of thinking out loud...

Thanks for all the help y'all!
Yes the rubber band that is around the broccoli is the perfect candidate!!

Billy
Old 10-30-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Launie
Originally Posted by Candace
MY EYES!!! THEY BURN!!!
Oh yes that is SO wrong!! I can't believe someone did that!