Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-30-2011, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by auniqueview
I suspect that if some of you had been with me today, you would have smacked me for walking away from the machine I refused. It was a beautiful Singer, in fairly clean shape, the cabinet left some to be desired. The woman selling it had drawers full of old spools of thread, heaven knows only how much sewing junk in them...an old darning egg, pipes to put snaps on, etc. Yes, she did have the small manual and the attachments, if you dug thru all the other stuff. Uh...I have plenty of "stuff", including some of those old darning eggs.

I asked her if it ran. Well, she didn't know because she only bought it for a Christmas display. I want you to know I took off my shoes (because they are hush puppies) and waded thru standing water to get there, to hear this. She put this on display, with her drawers of antique stuff open...a Christmas display. LADY...put up a tree and a singing Santa like anyone else!!! She had masking tape running along the cabinet. $130 OBO.

Dh was at the end of the driveway, praying, "Dear God, Please don't let her buy that machine."

I handed him my cane, because the drive was steep, and I was nearly tipping over backwards. Having pulled the drawers out and offered me all these treasured spools of thread and other goodies...forget the machine, the owners sat in their comfy chairs. I scooted this stuff (did I mention,I also have boxes of wooden spools of thread, old needles, metal thimbles, etc?) and pulled the machine up out of the cabinet and looked at all the spider webs. I asked, stupidly, "How long since you ran the machine?"

"I TOLD you, I only used it for display.", I get, with an irritated sigh. Hmmm. I put the Singer down, stepped back, looked at it really well. Yes, there is a plug, but where is the foot pedal? Leaned over a tad closer, and....where the heck is the belt? OMG, is that dried up piece of worm laying there the BELT?

I looked at the man, because it was obvious that I had lost the woman. "It's a pretty machine, but the people who are really interested in them want the to run, and I am only interested in it if it will sew. I can't find that out because there is no belt on this machine." Huh? No belt. (No, dumb***, if you had actually LOOKED AT IT, while you were putting all these geehaws on display, you might have seen that. Obviously, I did not say that outloud. Thought it pretty hard tho.

"No, there is no belt, and anyone wishing to try it is going to need a belt on there. The rest of the stuff in the drawers in not important." I pulled out the manual, the accessories, and a couple of items marked Singer, and laid them in front of the machine. "This is what is important, right here. The people who want this don't care about the rest of it. Just the Singer, if it runs, and these pieces right here. Now, I can't lift the machine, it's too heavy for me, so I don't do repairs, and I don't do any restoration on cabinets, so I am sorry, but I can't spend that kind of money not know if it would run at all. Good luck selling it."

I told my dh, who was sooooo glad to be leaving without it, that they could have emptied the drawers and sold the stuff in there off by itself as collectibles. One of you would probably grabbed the machine up. I just wanted to smack them upside the head for putting it on display and not even noticing the belt and the foot pedal were gone. And to be honest, if it was a 1914 model, it was not really an antique, lol. To be an antique, has to be 100 years old. Like me, it's still only a collectible, lol.
Love it!!! Reminds me of the people who title their CL ads as Antique Sewing Machine, and when you open it, there's a 1960s machine. Antique??? That makes me ANCIENT!!! LOL
Old 10-30-2011, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaC
Question for you antique-loving folks - would you buy a Singer 128 for piecing? I've fallen in love with the cutest little 128, it's been fully serviced and looks wonderful (shiny decals, etc.). I know it's a 3/4 size machine and the feed dogs don't drop, so I don't think it would be useful for FMQ, but does anybody know if they work well for piecing? It's electrical, not hand-crank, by the way. The seller wants a little over $100 for it.

Thanks for any info/suggestions!
Too expensive!! You can get them for $35-50 all day!! They sew a nice straight stitch just like all the old Singers.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Charlee
I found the paint on my Davis to be rather....I don't know that "fragile" is the word I'm looking for, but for lack of a better word, I'll use it. I didn't lose any decals, but every time I cleaned, more black rubbed off. I finally decided that it was paint instead of dirt and quit trying to clean it ALL off! :lol: When I waxed it, I used a caranuba car wax, and in the places where the wax was a little thicker and didn't dry as fast, the black paint turned GREEN!! OMG! I was beside myself and almost in tears to have those green streaks in my beautiful black machine...but as they dried and "cured" it turned black again...

I think the black is more "sensitive" than are the decals...but if the black UNDER the decals loosens, the decals come off with it...
Charlee, I have a Davis made around 1886 - 1889. I cleaned it with Blue Magic TR 3 Resin Glaze. It has no decals to speak of left, but boy does the black paint shine! I cleaned until all the black stopped coming off - under that stuff was a beautiful shinny black paint job. I like it better the way it looks now then all rough with a few broken decals showing! At first, I was bummed out that I took all the decals off, but I like the slick feeling it has when I touch it now. It looks like a new machine, all shinny with no dull spaces! I'm thinking it is not the 'paint' that you are getting off, just the crude on top of the paint?

Nancy
Possible, but I really think it's oxidized paint...you know how the finish on a car gets dull and icky? That's what I think this is....and I think it's deep into the finish.... I used the caranuba first, finished with the TR3...that helped. :)
OK, think I'll try this sort of treatment of my Davis now that the surface (very surface!) dirt is off.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:08 PM
Banned

Just remember never to use anything that is a "Cleaner Wax" it contains pumice and will rape the decals right off the machine!

Billy
Old 10-30-2011, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Just remember never to use anything that is a "Cleaner Wax" it contains pumice and will rape the decals right off the machine!

Billy
Not a problem with this machine...she's already denuded of her decals/painted flowers.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:16 PM

Janice, she's lookin' REALLY good!

Did you take the faceplate off? What's under that is fascinating!! :)
Old 10-30-2011, 09:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by Lostn51

Billy
Not a problem with this machine...she's already denuded of her decals/painted flowers.
Then if you do Charlee's method it will come out looking like a new penny! But it will take a lot of elbow grease but worth every minute of it. :D

Billy
Old 10-30-2011, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
I have been working on my Davis since late afternoon. I took a bunch of pics during the process.
Janice, Your Davis is looking pretty! Good idea using Bar Keeper Cleaner; those pieces shine.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:47 PM

This evening while having dinner at church, my DH's good friend, his GF and I were talking. After talking aabout all the snow everyone had, I made mention that because of all the power outages, that that is why I want a treadle sewing machine so I can keep on sewing.

DH's friend says, "I have one up at the house you can have". What! Be still my heart. "What brand is it"? "I don't know. It has a wooden case with several drawers chock full of old buttons and stuff and has a goofy looking rounded top that removes". "Oh, a coffin top". "Yeah, it does look like that". "

I'm going up tomorrow to loook at it. Either way, he is giving it to me and I will take it. I did ask him if he wanted me to make him a quilt and he reminded me I had already made him a fleece blanket that he uses all the time. (He and my DH made me a solid wood porch swing out of old school wooden (mostly oak with a nice piece of wormy chestnut) tongue and groove flooring boards. I made him the blanket as a thank you.)

I asked him if he wanted a valance made for his great room window. He said as long as it has black bears, pine trees, and pinecones, I could do anything I wanted. Woohoo!
I can only hope it is a gem. Will let ya'all know.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:08 PM

I just got the cutest little machine. It is about the size of a featherweight. It has 99 k on it. I looked up the serial # and it was made in 1956. Does anyone out there know anything about these little machines? Value maybe? It is in excellent condition. Thanks in advance.