Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-02-2012, 09:56 AM

Default center drawer

Here is a pic of what your center drawer would look like. this not the same but will be close
Attached Thumbnails drawer-center-001.jpg   drawer-center-004.jpg   drawer-center-005.jpg  
Old 03-02-2012, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Isn't it fun how much we all learn from this shop? Because we all get different brands, types of machines we all get to learn about them and a little history! I love to learn - especially when it involves a little history!

Nancy
I knew the Japanese celebrated a festival with chrysanthemums, but I didn't know that the Germans did too. While researching Pfaff and use of chrysanthemum decals, I discovered that festival. I too enjoy this thread for the fact that we are learning from each other not only machines, but some interesting trivia.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
The cabinet to my Singer 9W-7 was damaged in transit prior to my getting it. The machine itself is in good mechanical shape, but I need to fix both the wood and cast iron.

What I need are photos of the center drawer. This one has the drawer that has the cut outs for the accessories.
Does it tilt out like the later ones or pull out?
How does it mount?
My cabinet is missing pieces and if I had photos I might could fabricate replacements.

Otherwise I'm kinda lost.

Joe
I picked up a Singer 9W that had been in a standard treadle cabinet that the center drawer tilted down. That cabinet was shot, but the treadle irons are so smooth to treadle. I don't know if this was the original cabinet for the machine. Since the Singer 9W can fit into a Singer treadle, you could just switch heads in treadle when you wish to sew with the 9W, IF you don't want to fix the cabinet.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
Looking for any info, instructions or how-to's for my daughter's "bestest girlfriend" for a Vertical Sewing Machine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]316791[/ATTACH]
Only clean that machine with sewing oil. Otherwise your decals will get removed or turn green. These are wonderful machines to quilt with since the fabrics gets moved evenly. As Charlee stated, for a wealth of information on the Davis VF join the Yahoo group.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:07 PM

Glen,

You are correct. Here is the pics I took a while ago:

Drawer, right end:

Drawer, left end w/ runner:

Drawer, left end w/ runner set up:

Drawer area, right side:

Drawer area, left side:

You can see I have only the left side piece and neither of the little corner pieces. Those I can fabricate. What I don't know is what the grove and little square nob with the hole in it on the left side piece is supposed to do.

As soon as the weather warms up a bit I'm going to pull the wood off the iron and take it apart. Then repair that which I can. I'll have a better idea of what does what then. But all the pics do help. Thanks for posting them.
Now I also know what I'm supposed to be looking for on eBay.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:15 PM

vintagemotif,

I have put the 9W-7 in one of my other treadle cabinets when I tested it after cleaning and oiling it. But I couldn't leave it there because another machine calls that cabinet home.
I do have another treadle top and iron set that has to be assembled that I can put the machine in but it needs cleaning and oiling and painting and ....... well, I'll be working on both.

Joe
Old 03-02-2012, 12:27 PM

Joe, The knob is a stop that keeps the drawer from coming out to far and fall. The grove is a glide for a strip of wood glued to the side of the inside cabinet. It is drawer guide. Your cabinet did not have the guide, the drawer rides on the rail as in the right side of the inside cabinet. this type of drawer side was mass produced so the builder could us several methods to to create a drawer. Youre drawer will be like the pic I posted of the center of the cabinet where the drawer slides into. Boy you have a lot gluing to do on this one but should be within you talents.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:57 PM

Yep, A lot of gluing for sure. Now that I have some ideas on how it works I can get started. Making those curved corner pieces is gonna be a job.

Joe
Old 03-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Power Poster

Glenn are you ok - did the tornadoes miss your place?
We have high wind here and a bit of rain.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Glenn are you ok - did the tornadoes miss your place?
We have high wind here and a bit of rain.
Thanks Miriam we just missed the bullet. About five miles north of us got it(my son's high school) got some damage. We are very lucky today.