Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-12-2011, 09:41 AM

I received the handcrank to day and installed it and my little 1940 128 sews like a charm!!! I'm so thrilled with it. To think this has been sitting in the corner since May and I'm thinking it's just a parts machine! When I took it out a couple weeks ago and looked it over well, the motor mounts (broken) were removed and I began cleaning her up and falling in love. So with the help of some of you and Billy, the decision to handcrank her was made!! I hadn't even been able to sew with it before the installation, so today for the first time, she sewed a straight even stitch and she and I will live happily together forever!! LOL!
Old 11-12-2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
UH, beauty IS in the eye of the beholder. Is it cleaned up and in nice shape? OR Are you buying a project?
Not a project, in good shape, in a cabinet, extra bobbins, no attachments.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

I've seen $75 - $175 on good ones. Worth it too. If you think about how much it would have cost new and then do inflation it's a steal. Figure it isn't plastic and you do know how much those sell for..... I know how much work it is to get one fixed up. What is someone's time worth?
Old 11-12-2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
OK, lets see if I have this right.... If I want a picot hemstitcher for either my 99 or 222, it will work for both, but I would need different cover plates for each. Are the cover plates very easy to get? How expensive are they? I think I still want one, but would have to be sure I can get the cover plates to work with them.
this will fit your 99-[on sale also] Sew-Classic LLC [[email protected]]; on behalf of; Sew-Classic LLC [[email protected]]
Old 11-12-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman View Post
What is the most a singer 201 is worth?
It's one of those "What are you willing to pay?" things....I paid $15 for my Centenial 201-2 in a crappy cabinet. (Still on the lookout for a nicer cabinet for it) I lucked out on it tho.
Is it a 201-1 or 201-2? (Belt or gear driven?) Does it have attachments? If so, what are they? What kind of shape is the cabinet in? Does it have the stool with it?

I'd say generally speaking, to me, they're worth $50 to $75 in a decent cabinet.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
Hey Pattie - I can take a pic this weekend. I gave my grandaughter a Domestic 153 not long ago. If you can wait till Sunday, I'll PM you when I post it.
I will be glad to wait, so happy to hear from someone.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:25 PM

I bought an Elna today, in the case.  It has accessories with it, seller explained to me how the lever has to be pushed to run it.  It is the one called the grasshopper, with the case that works as a sewing table.  It looks in very good condition.   That is about all I know about it.  I will have to get a photo or so to post on here, but I thought it should come home with me, just because, lol.  The number on the plate on the back is 500970.  It has a list of patents from 1939 and 1940, and a Good Housekeeping guarantee plate.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:34 PM

I found an Eldredge sewing machine, it has a powder coat finish. I'm told that it is smooth to the touch. Can you clean these machines? Can the Godzilla finish be easily cleaned, and is that the same type of finish? Thank you for your help.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
It's one of those "What are you willing to pay?" things....I paid $15 for my Centenial 201-2 in a crappy cabinet. (Still on the lookout for a nicer cabinet for it) I lucked out on it tho.
Is it a 201-1 or 201-2? (Belt or gear driven?) Does it have attachments? If so, what are they? What kind of shape is the cabinet in? Does it have the stool with it?

I'd say generally speaking, to me, they're worth $50 to $75 in a decent cabinet.
I agree. I wouldn't pay more than $100 for 201 in very nice cabinet. I purchased my 201, just the head for $30 with box of attachments. I found free treadle irons and separate free cabinet to make a complete unit. I love the 201 in treadle since it quiet and stitches beautifully.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by auniqueview View Post
I bought an Elna today, in the case.* It has accessories with it, seller explained to me how the lever has to be pushed to run it.* It is the one called the grasshopper, with the case that works as a sewing table.* It looks in very good condition.** That is about all I know about it.* I will have to get a photo or so to post on here, but I thought it should come home with me, just because, lol.* The number on the plate on the back is 500970.* It has a list of patents from 1939 and 1940, and a Good Housekeeping guarantee plate.
good machine - there is a wheel inside the hand wheel - those go bad.