Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-26-2012, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Monica, the whole "floor" of the cabinet is the pedal! I want one!

Muv, so the machine's name is pronounced "Wuch-nik"?
OOHHH!!! At first I thought that was the floor and the pitman was missing a part, the treadle pedal.

That's cool that the entire floor moves. Although, it seems a bit close to the sides of the cabinet. I wonder if swelling of wood from side of cabinet would inhibit the smoothness of the treadling.

Here is an older machine that I found in my google search. MUV thanks for sharing; I've learned about another machine company today!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]358118[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails screen-shot-2012-08-26-9.51.46-am.png  

Last edited by vintagemotif; 08-26-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:20 AM

Nancy, I agree that it would be interesting to see the treadle in motion. Was this the only company that designed the cabinet and treadle this way? Or is this type of treadle cabinet more prevalent in Europe?
Old 08-26-2012, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Muv, I'm like Monica - hard to picture the whole floor rotating up and down! Cool idea, although, I'd like to see someone treadling and see the motion of the floor! Or even better see the underside to see how the floor is connected and jointed to move up and down! That is a cool looking outfit, though!

Ok you guys, I worked on my 319w this morning and got it re-timed!~ I hope! It seems to be working just fine, but of course I won't know until I try a decorative stitch. Cathy I remember you saying something about where the eye of the needle needed to be when it reconnects with the hook. Slightly lower than the hook? Anyway, I timed it so the eye of the needle is slightly below the hook when the needle has gone to the lowest point and is coming up? Candace? It seems to be right as it is sewing?

Nancy
I think you've got it:> Of course, doing a decorative stitch with no skips will tell you if you've nailed it. Try some and then tighten those screws!
Old 08-26-2012, 01:28 PM
Muv

Definitely the last picture...

Monica, I quite understand your difficulty. It took me a little while working it out in real life, and I had the benefit of three dimensions. The cabinet was full of stuff, so I pulled out a big box of material, found no treadle pedal underneath and was really confused. Next I had my head on the floor looking under the cabinet. Only then did it dawn on me that the floor of the cabinet was also the treadle pedal. I couldn't believe there was enough clearance at the sides, but when I had a quick go at treadling there was absolutely no contact with the side panels. I can imagine that there would be a problem here in England with the wood expanding with the damp.

The link that you put up to the auction site was interesting. The price of that machine was 99 zlotys, that was in 2010. The present exchange rate makes that roughly £20. I'll let you all convert that to dollars.

Also, that is a really nice picture that you found of the older machine. I've squinted at the decal in the centre of the bed. It is of an archer, which is what Lucznik means.

Charlee - yes, that's how you pronounce it.

Miriam - it's a promise. I will do a video next time. You might have to wait a few years though.
Attached Thumbnails poland-262.jpg  
Old 08-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

I wish this was close... http://chillicothe.craigslist.org/atq/3161936555.html
Old 08-26-2012, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

Dog gone it.... too far... http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/atq/3223589534.html
Old 08-26-2012, 02:24 PM

Miriam, I wish I was closer too! I love the knome on the irons!

My honey just called me...he and Mike ran to check out a yard sale full of "guy stuff"...it was an elderly man, and working the sale by himself...so they ended up staying to help him out, and ran to town to get the man something cold to drink. I guess the man told them that his family couldn't help because they all had other plans for this weekend!

Anyway, the man GAVE William a 1925 Redeye....William says that the man had started to refinish the cabinet, so all the veneer is gone from the top... (EEEEEKKKK!! Veneer is SPENDY!) and he said that the spindle and the slide plate are missing from the machine, but other than that the decals are in perfect condition! For the price, I won't be complaining about those few little things, but if it is indeed in better condition than the one I have, I'll be selling the one I have!!
Old 08-26-2012, 04:01 PM

Well...the machine is home...it is a nice Redeye...one chip out of the bed of the machine, a small one at the top. It's a side clamp, and the cabinet is in bad shape, but fixable.

No attachments, nothing with it. William found the slide plate for it, so all it needs is the spindle and a bobbin. I probably have both. I know I have bobbins.

Interesting that William brought it home...he's Mr. "Rough Shape Don't Want It"! Guess the price was right!
Old 08-26-2012, 04:06 PM

Charlee so post a pic please
Skip
Old 08-26-2012, 04:51 PM

Nancy,

From your description it sounds like you have again timed it correctly. The tip of the hook should intersect the needle just above the eye. This takes place when the needle has risen .093 inches.
If you need to bring the machine over next weekend. I'll be home Thursday night.

Cathy