Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-14-2012, 06:08 AM

Hi Billy,
I am new to this format and your post was very timely for me. I just purchased a Willcox and Gibbs machine at an auction. I'd never seen one, and actually wondered if it was a child's toy due to it being a bit smaller than what you would think a real sewing machine would be. (I've started collecting old toy machines.) In fact, the auctioneer thought it was a salesman's model. It is 8 inches tall, and 10 inches wide. Can you tell me anything about it?

Terri
Old 07-14-2012, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Hello everyone! I am behind a few pages, but need to ask a question of you Necchi fans - what does this machine do? Straight stitch and zig zag? I don't have, nor have I ever owned a Necchi! I am looking for a machine for my granddaughter in a small cabinet! She needs one she can sit down and sew on at her house without having to drag out her portable machine! I really would like to find her a Pfaff 1222!
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/for/3138053510.html

I really want her to have a machine with some decoratice stitches - especially the triple stitch as she is always hemming jeans or making jeans into shorts! I may just give her a 401a, but I am afraid she will lose the cams! I'd rather she had a nice vintage machine that has everything built in!

Nancy
Nancy; That is a beautiful machine and a terrific cabinet. Yes the Necchis of that vintage only do zigzag and straight stitch but they are workhorses and I love both of mine. I would still think about it for her because you can get the rolled hemmer feet, at least one of mine came with one, for them and they do make wonderful hems. Hope this helps.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by terriw View Post
Hi Billy,
I am new to this format and your post was very timely for me. I just purchased a Willcox and Gibbs machine at an auction. I'd never seen one, and actually wondered if it was a child's toy due to it being a bit smaller than what you would think a real sewing machine would be. (I've started collecting old toy machines.) In fact, the auctioneer thought it was a salesman's model. It is 8 inches tall, and 10 inches wide. Can you tell me anything about it?

Terri
Terri, I'm not Billy, (he doesn't come around anymore...hangs out on another board now) but will do my best to answer your question.

Your W&G is not a toy or salesman sample. Machines "of the day" were smaller because homes were smaller and there was less space to have them.

Alex has a nice page about the W&G machines here:
http://www.sewalot.com/willcox_gibbs.htm
Old 07-14-2012, 07:29 AM

Nancy, that's a SS/ZZ machine, but may not have any or many built in stitches. My Necchi is straight stitch only and smaller and plainer. That horizontal lever will be for the ZZ. The Necchi was the only machine that would FMQ when my 301 had plug problems. It's a nice little machine. Heavy, but well made.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:37 AM

Hello everyone! I am behind a few pages, but need to ask a question of you Necchi fans - what does this machine do? Straight stitch and zig zag? I don't have, nor have I ever owned a Necchi! I am looking for a machine for my granddaughter in a small cabinet! She needs one she can sit down and sew on at her house without having to drag out her portable machine! I really would like to find her a Pfaff 1222!

I really want her to have a machine with some decoratice stitches - especially the triple stitch as she is always hemming jeans or making jeans into shorts! I may just give her a 401a, but I am afraid she will lose the cams! I'd rather she had a nice vintage machine that has everything built in!

Nancy
Hold the cams for her and give her the 401.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by terriw View Post
I just purchased a Willcox and Gibbs machine at an auction. I'd never seen one, and actually wondered if it was a child's toy due to it being a bit smaller than what you would think a real sewing machine would be. (I've started collecting old toy machines.) In fact, the auctioneer thought it was a salesman's model. It is 8 inches tall, and 10 inches wide. Can you tell me anything about it?
Hi Terri,

For starters, as far as I know there is no such thing as a salesman's sample sewing machine. This is a persistent myth--that when you think about it, doesn't make any sense at all!

The W&G is a single-thread chainstitch machine (like most toy machines), intended for adults. It was sold as a treadle, a handcrank, or an electric. Here is some more stuff on W&G on the ISMACS site.

http://www.ismacs.net/willcoxandgibbs/home.html

And here's a youtube showing threading, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjKG9pdacv0

Good luck!

pat
Old 07-14-2012, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

Nancy
If this were my DG I would give her a Singer 401, 403, 500 or 503. Since you are afraid she will lose the cams then you need the 401 or the 500. I say this for a couple reasons. First, those machines are relatively light weight it might be a bit easier to get the machine up and down in the table. Second, if you sit in front them and compare how well you can see you will notice you can see what you are doing a whole lot better on those model Singers. The tension and the nose get in the way on many machines. I had two Necchi machines for awhile. One I liked and used a lot, the other I hated. I also hated my Janome. One day my daughter and I were making something and using the two Necchi machines... she commented that she could not see past the nose on the one I hated without craning her neck. We started looking at machines a bit different after that. Can you see without craning your neck or hunching over? How is the light? I would prefer a Singer 403 or 503 to the 401 - I know what stitch I am getting every time. The 401 drives me up the walls unless I have a manual right there. Being able to see may be why I like the Singer 15 or a clone for FM so much. I can see real good. Nothing in the way.

Last edited by miriam; 07-14-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:04 AM

.... if you sit in front them and compare how well you can see you will notice you can see what you are doing a whole lot better......

You are right, Miriam. One of my daughters has a newer (Plastic from a yard sale that I didn't know she would use much) Singer that she uses when away from home, and she used a 15 clone to do some sewing here, and wanted to know why she had that piece of crap machine, instead of a good one. She talked me out of a 158 Kenmore anyway, and is working her way toward a clone. LOL
Old 07-14-2012, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Hold the cams for her and give her the 401.
Candace I agree with you on just giving her the 401. The Necchi is an excellent machine, don't get me wrong, but for this gals purpose the Singer 401 will be fine. IF you really want the Necchi, then look for the Supernova with its cams for the decorative stitches.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:51 PM

Just browsing through the local Kansas City, MO, CL's and what a weekend for hunting vintage machines if I had time, money and more importantly space. LOTS of eye candy!! Letting you know for those who like to look and drool.
I am on a machine and fabric moratorium currently but DH said to go get thread @ the JoAnn's sale. I will be good (unlikely but you never know!)
Chris