Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-10-2012, 02:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm View Post
I think the cord is used to outline the hole before it is cut out. Then the hoop holds the fabric tight so you can stitch across an empty space. It can be done. That is how the new emb machines does lace work, only they use solvy as a wash away stabilizer. Some of the lace patterns are for cut away, some are not.
I have an old singer that has a knee controller for stitch width as your emb free hand. At one time I was fairly good with it, years ago. You can do raised emb lettering about ¼” tall above the fabric. It is an art form for sure. The woman I got it from had a business inside a sewing shop for years. This is a pic of 2 towel swim wraps I made 40 years ago.[ATTACH=CONFIG]347935[/ATTACH]
I think Nancy's 260 Pfaff has a lever on the stitch width so it can do that. The draw back is that you have to hold the lever while you sew. I can see where a knee lever would work or be frustrating if you bumped it when you didn't want to. I'm amazed at how well I can sew with a knee lever so maybe it would work fine.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:27 AM

I think the cord is used to outline the hole before it is cut out. Then the hoop holds the fabric tight so you can stitch across an empty space. It can be done. That is how the new emb machines does lace work, only they use solvy as a wash away stabilizer. Some of the lace patterns are for cut away, some are not.
I have an old singer that has a knee controller for stitch width as your emb free hand. At one time I was fairly good with it, years ago. You can do raised emb lettering about ¼” tall above the fabric. It is an art form for sure. The woman I got it from had a business inside a sewing shop for years. This is a pic of 2 towel swim wraps I made 40 years ago.[ATTACH=CONFIG]347935[/ATTACH]
I'm amazed..... and have to try this. I've never seen this done like this before. .... and I'm old and have seen a lot!
Old 07-10-2012, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
I'm amazed..... and have to try this. I've never seen this done like this before. .... and I'm old and have seen a lot!
I think I have seen stuff like this in the sewing manuals of the European machines.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:47 AM

I've not seen any European manuals but I think it might be fun to experiment with this. I have the cutest great GD that would look adorable in some lace collared dresses.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:59 AM

Phyllis, wow you are amazing too! Was that a template or did you just do it free hand too? That looks amazing especially for being 40 years old!

Nancy
Old 07-10-2012, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
WOW - and on a 15!!! my fav for FM but I'm not up to that. Fascinating to watch a few times. No foot!
Yes on a Singer 15 - the same machine I use for all my FM quilting, but she is not using a foot! Miriam, she is using the 15-88 treadle. I didn't think you used a treadle for FM?

Ok you guys did you notice her feet? They are together on the pedal working in unison? When you read one of the old manuals on how to treadle it always shows the feet with one foot completely on the pedal and just the toe of the other foot. I was sewing some rows together yesterday of a top I pieced using a variety of machines - I finished most of the top with my Pfaff 260. The foot pedal got hot - scared me as it began to smell (DH took it apart and it was full of cob webs and dirt). Anyway, I took the rows to my Singer 319w in treadle and finished there! Last night the calves of my legs were really tight and sore? I realized it must of been from all the treadling as that 319w is not easy to treadle. I wonder it having her feet together like that makes it easier? Geeze, that lady must have strong legs to make lace - but the 15 is easier to treadle I know.

Also, yes I have made lace with my Pfaff embroidery machine, but you use a wash away stabilizer like Solvy - make the lace pattern - then wash the stabilizer away. How did she sew after cutting away her fabric? She had nothing to keep from getting birds nests - I don't think she used any stabilizer - she just sewed across empty space? Amazing.

But, the most amazing part is that she is doing all that with a Singer 15 treadle! I am still amazed at the strength of her legs! I was so sore last night from using my 319w to sew the long rows together on my quilt top - I am in awe of her legs!
Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 07-10-2012 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Yes on a Singer 15 - the same machine I use for all my FM quilting, but she is not using a foot! Miriam, she is using the 15-88 treadle. I didn't think you used a treadle for FM?

Ok you guys did you notice her feet? They are together on the pedal working in unison? When you read one of the old manuals on how to treadle it always shows the feet with one foot completely on the pedal and just the toe of the other foot. I was sewing some rows together yesterday of a top I pieced using a variety of machines - I finished most of the top with my Pfaff 260. The foot pedal got hot - scared me as it began to smell (DH took it apart and it was full of cob webs and dirt). Anyway, I took the rows to my Singer 319w in treadle and finished there! Last night the calves of my legs were really tight and sore? I realized it must of been from all the treadling as that 319w is not easy to treadle. I wonder it having her feet together like that makes it easier? Geeze, that lady must have strong legs to make lace - but the 15 is easier to treadle I know.

Also, yes I have made lace with my Pfaff embroidery machine, but you use a wash away stabilizer like Solvy - make the lace pattern - then wash the stabilizer away. How did she sew after cutting away her fabric? She had nothing to keep from getting birds nests - I don't think she used any stabilizer - she just sewed across empty space? Amazing.

But, the most amazing part is that she is doing all that with a Singer 15 treadle! I am still amazed at the strength of her legs! I was so sore last night from using my 319w to sew the long rows together on my quilt top - I am in awe of her legs!
Nancy
You wouldn't get birds nests because everything is taut with the hoop. You're sewing on the thread and it connects like a spider web and the thread acts as the stabilizer. I was wondering about her feet!
Old 07-10-2012, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

You know I'm not coordinated enough to treadle. Ask Glenn. He about split a gut laughing.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:22 AM

What a bargain:< http://www.ebay.com/itm/200-sewing-m...#ht_1046wt_973
Old 07-10-2012, 08:35 AM

Wow.... what a bargain, on $50.00 per each and you gotta go pick 'em up yourself.

I didn't look at 'em all, but what I did see was mostly plastic bodied new stuff. Wonder if you could turn around and make a profit?

Joe