Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm View Post
Hungarian Lace.wmv Singer treadle machine!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr4jioQv3bs&feature=related

have you seen this? any spare time?
WOW - and on a 15!!! my fav for FM but I'm not up to that. Fascinating to watch a few times. No foot!
Old 07-09-2012, 06:10 PM

Hello everyone, I have been busy with grandkids and piecing a quilt top with my Pfaff 260! Remember my plug problems - not being able to find the correct plug in for the Pfaff 260 I bought from Miriam! I love that machine by the way! We took it down to a local repair guy who's been around for ever - he's got to be in his 70's +! Anyway, he said the machine had been 'altered' so you can't use the left plug! In fact, he said that now it wouldn't work if I did find the correct plug unless the wiring was configured back the way it had been originally! Pretty interesting. He also said the guy from A-1 Sewing was correct - the left side of the plug is the foot pedal - or originally it was for the foot pedal - before the machine was messed with! I'd bet the last owner had the machine re-configured because they couldn't find the original cord!

Anyway, I swear everytime I start sewing with the Pfaff 260 I think geeze this machine is several rungs above the Singers of the same era for quality. Sorry everyone - but, it is like the Wheeler and Wilson's for treadles - way above the Singer treadles of the same era for quality! I still love my 319w and my 301's and FW's, but I am in awe everytime I sit down to sew on the Pfaff's from the same time period!

Nancy
Old 07-09-2012, 06:23 PM

I agree with you Nancy. I just wish they weren't as complicated to repair or the money pit for missing parts etc.! I think the fact that Singers are so easy to keep up by their owners and are readily available (for donor's too) makes it hard to pick a favorite. But, I really, REALLY like my vintage Pfaffs. Though, there are a couple I just can't repair on my own and that drives me nuts!! There hasn't been a Singer yet, that has beat me:>
Old 07-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Power Poster

I've been collecting more work for myself.... Got ready to get out the door this morning and got a call for 10 more hours of work Saturday. I trolled CL for something the other night - anyway, I bought a really cool Brody table and Brody chairs in mint condition. I hadn't planned on it just yet but I was looking for something else and came upon this set by accident. My mom and dad have had chairs like those since 1965 and they held up!!! Even though neither of us would have gone looking for the set, DH says it is perfect... I have to re-arrange a few things... I figured I had all day tomorrow... When we got home with the table and chairs I found out I had two more days of get it done NOW work starting tomorrow.... plus the other stuff from this morning... plus my regular work... I can't leave that table in the truck... And I can't get it in the dining room yet. I'm losing my mind. Well, maybe too late for that. Might have to park the car on the street....
Old 07-09-2012, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm View Post
Hungarian Lace.wmv Singer treadle machine!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr4jioQv3bs&feature=related

have you seen this? any spare time?
WoW!! This is incredible!! I can't figure out what she is doing with the heavy thread or cording. Can anyone else figure it out?

I'd love to try a simple version of this..... but it will have to wait till fall.... too busy remodeling this summer.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
WoW!! This is incredible!! I can't figure out what she is doing with the heavy thread or cording. Can anyone else figure it out?

I'd love to try a simple version of this..... but it will have to wait till fall.... too busy remodeling this summer.
That cord must go in there somewhere - I need to watch it about 50 times or so.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:51 PM

She's manually zigzagging over it to add detail to the designs.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
WOW - and on a 15!!! my fav for FM but I'm not up to that. Fascinating to watch a few times. No foot!
With the fabric held taut in a hoop, you don't need a presser foot. She's amazing!
Old 07-09-2012, 09:41 PM

WOW! That doesn't look easy at all....wow.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:06 PM

I think the cord is used to outline the hole before it is cut out. Then the hoop holds the fabric tight so you can stitch across an empty space. It can be done. That is how the new emb machines does lace work, only they use solvy as a wash away stabilizer. Some of the lace patterns are for cut away, some are not.
I have an old singer that has a knee controller for stitch width as your emb free hand. At one time I was fairly good with it, years ago. You can do raised emb lettering about ¼” tall above the fabric. It is an art form for sure. The woman I got it from had a business inside a sewing shop for years. This is a pic of 2 towel swim wraps I made 40 years ago.[ATTACH=CONFIG]347935[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails cimg0812.jpg