Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-14-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
A future treadler on our hands!! She is only 5 but she treadled beautifully see video here
http://youtu.be/Vrmds-bDFWU

here is here picture. I am so proud I could burst!
How cute!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 10:20 AM

abbyquilts, super cute U-tube video of your niece treadling.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Hi back to Bennett and Glenn, and others who are in the refinishing mode.

I found a beat up, falling apart parlor type cabinet. No machine head or irons for the treadle. It has all drawers, doors and such. Thing was a showpiece in it's day, built like old furnature. Looks like burl walnut veneer over solid wood, not ply. I was going to scavenge parts, but turns out it's a White Cabinet #9 from around 1886 and would have taken a VSII or VSIII machine. Very unusual.

How best to proceed?

I'm concerned about how dry, light the wood is. Is there a good way to rejuve 1880's wood? No signs of worm holes or chews.

The old glue is defunct. All the joins are coming apart. The veneer, which was a sheet over the boards, is cracked top to bottom where the boards were glued edge to edge to form each side. Should I plan on totally breaking apart the boards (sacrificing veneer), to reglue the boards? Or should I attempt to get glue into the old joints, without fully taking apart the sides of the cabinet? Most of the corner joins have already fallen apart on their own, no problem with those. But here I'm talking about how 'base' boards were glued edge to edge to form each side panel for the cabinet, then the panels were veneered and decorated with wood figurals.

Which/what glue would you recommend for old, dried out 1880 wood? Rockler has some specialty wood cabinet making glues, but to be honest... I've never used anything but regular 'wood' glue. Never had a need. This piece however, is really cabinet art. I could use some recommendations on what you experts have used/liked.

Thanks all. kim in north palm beach
This would be out of my league, I think. :) I did use this for some references on types of older finishes:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/41922059/F...nd-Restoration

Good luck!
Old 07-14-2011, 12:02 PM

I love it! Bet she will love sewing as she grows up! Wonder if her "Auntie" will have a special treadle machine for her!
:lol:
Jan
>^;;^<
Old 07-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

The carbon brushes are inside the motor. It was very, very hard to find info on that. I wish I knew more. We should do a tutorial on motors - we have 4 to do for some Singer 404s.
Maybe someone knows more than we do would chime in on it. DH does them. I'm not sure when he will have time right now.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
I just posted my new machine on http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-11.htm
I need to find a way to mount the foot treadle to the bottom of the cabinet. I had to wait 2 days for someone to help me take it out of the car to check the date.It was killing me to wait. I took the original one way stright rollers off and mounted these so I can move it.
That is one beautiful cabinet! :) I am a sucker for mission/arts and crafts furniture. Does the front panel with "White" on it lift up when the machine is up and just come down when it is closed? There is one on kind of local CL that I'm eye-balling because of yours now, but I thought maybe it was missing that panel. Now I'm not so sure. Also, do you happen to know what size needles it takes?

This place has way too much eye candy to be good for me!
Old 07-14-2011, 12:40 PM

There are some cams for Singer 403 model on Shopgoodwill.com today.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8237252
Old 07-14-2011, 01:34 PM

Anybody looking for a buttenholer for a Necchi? I found one at the thrift store today.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett
Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
I just posted my new machine on http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-11.htm
I need to find a way to mount the foot treadle to the bottom of the cabinet. I had to wait 2 days for someone to help me take it out of the car to check the date.It was killing me to wait. I took the original one way stright rollers off and mounted these so I can move it.
That is one beautiful cabinet! :) I am a sucker for mission/arts and crafts furniture. Does the front panel with "White" on it lift up when the machine is up and just come down when it is closed? There is one on kind of local CL that I'm eye-balling because of yours now, but I thought maybe it was missing that panel. Now I'm not so sure. Also, do you happen to know what size needles it takes?

This place has way too much eye candy to be good for me!
When you raise the cabinet top the head comes up, as it moves up the front panel moves up and under the head also. I called the 800 # and they told me it takes a “regular needle”. It is 3rd in line to be cleaned. That gives me or Billy time to rig a support for the foot peddle.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:17 PM

Okay, ladies and gents...I'm tearing into an old treadle that was given to me. It's a Singer 66 model. Bought a new belt but it keeps slipping off the hand wheel. If I hold my finger to the back of the machine as a guide to keep the belt on, it will stay put. Is there supposed to be some kind of guide there? Since my other 66 is electric I'm lost as to why it would fall off there? I tried to watch to see what the deal is, but I see nothing wrong. Can anyone help?