Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-11-2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu
Rescued this Bernina Bernette from thrift store. It is a model 705. After her beauty treatment and a new bobbin case and power/food cord, she is ready to go. Supposedly made by Riccar for Bernina. It has a few different stitches and makes buttonholes. Not bad for an older gal.
Tommie
Now she has a new home with a young lady who is recovering from knee surgery and decided to learn to sew. All her family sews-mom, sisters. She was so excited to get it.
Tommie
Old 07-11-2011, 06:59 PM

[quote=Miz Johnny]Since it's a chainstitch, I THINK it will be a little easier--though I don't know for sure. Guess I'll find out. I've changed out needlebars on other machines though, so we'll see.[quote=miriam][quote=Miz Johnny]Lately I've been working on my machines using cardboard flats--they work really well at keeping table tops clean AND catching screws, etc. as they fall.

I worked on my Kruse and Murphy HC a bit over the weekend, but couldn't quite figure out the needle and couldn't make it stitch. I could see the way the needle SHOULD go in, but the only way it fit was backwards. Of course, it wouldn't stitch properly, and kept breaking threads. Finally, someone asked if the needlebar might possibly be backwards. Darned if they weren't right. I haven't taken it apart and put it back together the RIGHT way, but will get around to it eventually, I guess. [quote=miriam]
Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by miriam
they have 13 screws in them and I'm dreading it if I loose one.
Do all of your work over a nice thick towel. This way if you drop a screw it won't go anywhere. Good luck on your cleaning :-D
I like the thick towel idea!!!! Brilliant!

The diapers will fit in the flats very well, save your towels.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:14 PM

Found on CL for Grand Rapids Michigan. HC with wood cabinet.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/atq/2488003547.html
Old 07-11-2011, 07:50 PM

This post is about the 15-91 that came from a smoker's house. The beast is mostly finished. Almost all of the gunk and grime is gone from the outside and still have some inside to clean but I ran out of cottonballs. 2 bags gone through for this project. I will recommend to smoking SIL that she clean her machine yearly at least to remove the tar buildup. She probably won't but I'll have said it at least. Had to pull head out of cabinet to take head to sewing shop to find right size screw for tension disks for bobbin winding. Found out that there are 2 little screws to remove so you leave hinges intact and just pull machine from the hinges. Yeah!!! Ladies at local sewing shop were fabulous with helping me find the right screw and also picked up some vinatge 15, 66 and Bernina bobbins while there. The screw was not vintage but it worked and I was just happy to have found one that fit. Almost scored a vintage bobbin case but it was missing a piece. Thanks to all who gave me ideas as to cleaning the nickel pieces on her.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:09 PM

Chris, are you needing parts for that 15-91? I just picked up a machine that's going to most likely be a parts machine...will have to see if I can get it cleaned up first, but let me know!
Old 07-11-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Chris, are you needing parts for that 15-91? I just picked up a machine that's going to most likely be a parts machine...will have to see if I can get it cleaned up first, but let me know!
Charlee; It has all the parts but only one foot. I'd actually like to find some more feet for her, a zipper and maybe a hemmer, but she can also search for these herself. The only part I really needed was the screw that holds the thread tension discs for the bobbin winding mechanism and I have one now. It isn't vintage but I don't care, DH said is was fine, and doubt SIL will care either. SIL will now also have more than one bobbin b/c of the sewing shop. I'm thinking of giving her 3 other bobbins plus the one in the bobbin case for a total of four and I think I'm being awfully generous as these are vintage bobbins. I even have the felt spool dohickeys for both spool pins and put a new bobbin winder tire on the machine for her. Minus more presser feet, the machine is complete. So thank you, Charlee, but no thank you. It is, however, an extremely generous offer.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
That is a wonderful buy, Kathie. I shall look and see what I have, if anything.

Tommie
Thank you, Tommie. You are a doll. What is the name of the Iris in your Avatar, it is so beautiful. Kathie
I don't know. It was here when I came.
Tommie[/quote]

No wonder I was confusing you with Amma! You have her flower! <wave>
Old 07-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Power Poster

We have some young men helping my hubby with a house we bought at a tax sale. The house has been empty for 3 years. The guys are just helping so they can learn some skills. DH informed them today that they would have to learn to sew before they could use a power saw or any other power tool. He made our boys learn to sew before they used a power tool. He says sewing a finger isn't near as bad as cutting something off. Then he told them I'm real good with any saw because of my sewing. And he told them it was harder to sew because you have to coordinate your feet and your hands. I also think they could learn to follow directions with the sewing. I'm thinking they could make nail pouches or bucket buddies. Any other ideas? File keepers - like yeah they have files... I sure wish that 401G had a treadle belt that fit right. That would keep them busy... LOL I'm thinkin' some kind of thin industrial belt might fit. It needs to be the size and shape of a lamp cord. I sure hate the idea of grinding anything off my machine. Right now it is shredding the leather belt.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:47 PM

Has anyone here heard of the Century brand of sewing machine. It is a treadle. I'm going to look at one tomorrow so I was trying to find some info on it. The SN is 857553. The seller did tell me is uses the bullet type bobbin which is missing. Just want to be sure if I decide on it that I can get parts. :)
Old 07-11-2011, 11:31 PM

Here is an interesting site I found about the different machine manufacturers and how they were bought out or merged with other companies.

http://www.dincum.com/articles/usa_m...urers_res.html