Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-10-2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
I was wondering if anyone could share information on a 1920 Green Singer 127 Sphinx. I was talking to a lady today and she said she had one and they were quite rare. I have never seen or heard of a green sphinx and just wondered if anyone else knew anything about them.

Judy
I've never heard of one, sounds very cool. Google, here I come!
Old 05-10-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by olebat
It's a done deal. I got the Singer 201 in cabinet with stool. Machine was frozen. But I did some minor work on site and got it moving again. Powered it up (potted motor)and she sewed a nice stitch and almost silent. . . until the race flew out of place. I casually picked up the pieces, put them in a drawer, and said I can work on that when I get home. No need to take any more of your time.;-)

The grand son handed me the stool, gram ma started giving me boxes of parts, and off to the van we marched. He got a hand truck, and loaded it. Then, they decided to unload a lot of sewing supplies. The room was so congested with quilts, fabric, pillows, and artificial flowers one could hardly move. So, $35 later, a new machine, and a van load of fabric. (She had worked at Carol Fabrics for over 20 years and had a lot of Carol left overs.) Not only that - they will call me as they empty out the room. They need to get it empty to convert it back to a bed room. I told her I'd take anything she didn't want - don't throw anything away. They have no idea what is in that room, or what it goes to. Lots of cams, slant-o-matic parts, I think she picked up Singer parts at the flea markets, then got home and didn't have a machine to fit the parts. Eighty years old, she was telling me stories about people and how they swapped machines around, and they died. . . the story would change I don't know if I heard one all the way through.

Anyway, the machine looked real clean, just gummed with age. The only problems I saw were a burned out light bulb, and the ink well is missing. The cabinet appears to have water damage, probably from a wet carpet, and the veiner is slightly pealed. I think I did OK. Picks when I get the manpower to get it unloaded.
WOW!!! That's a great find/windfall! I'm glad that they are gifting things, selling things to you... someone who will fix up, use and find homes for all that stuff. What a find. I'm sorry that the lady who obviously had the passion for sewing/machines and such... can no longer mentally function in her hobby. That's sad. I hope when/if I get to that point.... I remember to jump on this thread and give away all my machines to you all!
Old 05-10-2011, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
The people that I just got all my machines from brought me a motor for the hc. Needless to say the motor will stay in the box. They also said that when they had a machine that could not be saved they sawed it in half and made book ends out of it. I must of had a shocked looked on my face because she looked at me really funny. I just can not imagine anyone doing that to a wonderful machine. Kathie
I think I would've shrieked and said something like OMG What possessed you to do such a thing?????
Old 05-10-2011, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Olebat, don't you just love the stories the elderly tell and the way they tell them. This 80 year old women will most likey tell you more when you go get more fabric and sewing things from her. I could listen to them for days. They can teach us a lot about life in the stories they tell. Glenn
A wise hospital commander addressed our nursing department in the early 70's. He said, "When a gummer wants to talk, take time to listen." He went on to explain the many reasons we should listen. The first was that they had so much to teach us. Another was that they had seen things which were not out of their system, (this was later to be called post traumatic stress disorder,). Somewhere in the list was, they are lonely and without family or friends. In a comical conclusion, he talked about how they've lost it and are hoping that we can help them find it.

This ole sweetie had 10 children, a husband who died only seven years ago, a sewing career, and is frequently visited by daughters and sons and their families. Her only trauma seems to be having left Ithaca, NY and moving to the sticks in GA. However, at her age, she's seen the passing of her peeps, and is reading the cards. As she looked at her heaps of fabric, I could relate to the thoughts, "So much fabric, so little time." She was saddened that no one in the family sewed like she did, and the subject turned. Do they not sew, make drapes, clothes, bedding, ruffles & lace? ??? Her girlfriends sewed, thats why they swapped machines around. She treasures the old ways, and is pleased that her things will be used to educate children in timeless tradition.

I hope I can live up to her expectations and standards. Most of the kids with whom I work have short attention spans, (unless they are playing with one of those little hand-held games or a telephone,) and getting a pot holder made can be tedious. I have a new crop of students who seem interested in fashion design, and several want to dabble with home decor. Fortunately, when I say, "Your service project will be, Quilts for Kids, or nursing home lap quilts, pick one," I think they'll get excited. They usually do.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:44 PM

I think I would've shrieked and said something like OMG What possessed you to do such a thing?????[/quote]

I wanted to believe me. Kathie
Old 05-10-2011, 10:54 PM

I can't believe I am so late to this new "addiction", boy have I got a lot of catching up to do to be on par with all ya'll!

I have spent all day taking "Black Betty" apart, cleaning her, cussing her, putting her back together, cussing her some more, and finally a nice oiling.

I may have cussed her some more then too, I am not sure now. :-)
Then spent an hour or so screaming at the bobbin, wondering how in the hel.. heck does this work. Finally, got to some sewing on her. First time treadling and, I tell ya what... I am in LOVE!! This is so awesome.

Even after all that, I would never do the bookends thing. Holy crow, are ya kidding me?? I am gonna get a small shadow box to put some of the things I found in the drawers from the previous owner though. Kinda corny but, hey that's me.

Billy, I do want to say many thanks for all your great tutes and I hope things get settled down a bit for ya to enjoy a few hours in that hot tub ya was on about. I believe without your tutes, I would still be sitting here just dreaming about actually using her. You are an incredible soul, so I tip my hat to ya!
Old 05-10-2011, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by PJisChaos
I can't believe I am so late to this new "addiction", boy have I got a lot of catching up to do to be on par with all ya'll!

I have spent all day taking "Black Betty" apart, cleaning her, cussing her, putting her back together, cussing her some more, and finally a nice oiling.

I may have cussed her some more then too, I am not sure now. :-)
Then spent an hour or so screaming at the bobbin, wondering how in the hel.. heck does this work. Finally, got to some sewing on her. First time treadling and, I tell ya what... I am in LOVE!! This is so awesome.

Even after all that, I would never do the bookends thing. Holy crow, are ya kidding me?? I am gonna get a small shadow box to put some of the things I found in the drawers from the previous owner though. Kinda corny but, hey that's me.

Billy, I do want to say many thanks for all your great tutes and I hope things get settled down a bit for ya to enjoy a few hours in that hot tub ya was on about. I believe without your tutes, I would still be sitting here just dreaming about actually using her. You are an incredible soul, so I tip my hat to ya!
This is my favorite tutorial on using the shuttle bobbins ( I believe that is what you are using for your machine) even if you don't have a Singer. I used it to figure out how to wind my shuttle on my Davis. I like her suggestions at the end of the video. There are a number of tutorials out there that are of help for the shuttles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOu4-...eature=related

Happy to read that you got the hang of treadling.
Have fun treadling!
Old 05-11-2011, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Cindy Lou Who
Originally Posted by BoJangles
I never heard of a green 127. I'd bet it is a 185.

Nancy
Nancy, Miz Johnny, or anyone,
Have you heard of a green 15 that appears white to me in the photo?
Cindy
Cindy, if it is a 15 clone, yes! No, I have not heard of a green Singer 15. Billy, may know if there is such a thing.

Nancy
Old 05-11-2011, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
The people that I just got all my machines from brought me a motor for the hc. Needless to say the motor will stay in the box. They also said that when they had a machine that could not be saved they sawed it in half and made book ends out of it. I must of had a shocked looked on my face because she looked at me really funny. I just can not imagine anyone doing that to a wonderful machine. Kathie
Kathie, your 99 is exactly like my 99 with a HC. I added the HC to my 99, took the motor off, and put the motor on my new 66-6. I would be willing to bet the former owner's of your 99 brought you that motor because it belonged to that machine in the first place! Use it on something else! That machine is a great HC!

Nancy
Old 05-11-2011, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Keeping my daughter dry!! Her house has water about 6 or 8 feet from the front door. So I spent most of yesterday afternoon and today moving things up in the attic and to higher ground so to speak. The water was coming out of the storm drains there.

Then since I made a few bucks off of the damage to my house (I kept the labor and bought the materials and fixed it my own self) My wife and I went to Lowes and Home Depot and we are redoing my patio and water garden. And we are going to look at hot tubs later on this weekend. :D

Billy
Yippeeeeeeee for you Billy! I was wondering about you being flooded? We keep seeing your town under water here in California! I kept thinking, the news must be only showing the worst section of your area -- can't be all of your area under water! You know how the news picks one really bad thing and capitizes on that -- well, from our standpoint it looks like your state is under water!

Nancy