Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-10-2011, 04:39 PM

It's a done deal. I got the Singer 201 in cabinet with stool. Machine was frozen. But I did some minor work on site and got it moving again. Powered it up (potted motor)and she sewed a nice stitch and almost silent. . . until the race flew out of place. I casually picked up the pieces, put them in a drawer, and said I can work on that when I get home. No need to take any more of your time.;-)

The grand son handed me the stool, gram ma started giving me boxes of parts, and off to the van we marched. He got a hand truck, and loaded it. Then, they decided to unload a lot of sewing supplies. The room was so congested with quilts, fabric, pillows, and artificial flowers one could hardly move. So, $35 later, a new machine, and a van load of fabric. (She had worked at Carol Fabrics for over 20 years and had a lot of Carol left overs.) Not only that - they will call me as they empty out the room. They need to get it empty to convert it back to a bed room. I told her I'd take anything she didn't want - don't throw anything away. They have no idea what is in that room, or what it goes to. Lots of cams, slant-o-matic parts, I think she picked up Singer parts at the flea markets, then got home and didn't have a machine to fit the parts. Eighty years old, she was telling me stories about people and how they swapped machines around, and they died. . . the story would change I don't know if I heard one all the way through.

Anyway, the machine looked real clean, just gummed with age. The only problems I saw were a burned out light bulb, and the ink well is missing. The cabinet appears to have water damage, probably from a wet carpet, and the veiner is slightly pealed. I think I did OK. Picks when I get the manpower to get it unloaded.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
I was wondering if anyone could share information on a 1920 Green Singer 127 Sphinx. I was talking to a lady today and she said she had one and they were quite rare. I have never seen or heard of a green sphinx and just wondered if anyone else knew anything about them.

Judy
Hello everyone! I love the great machines on parade since I was here last. You guys got some really nice FW's and I saw a 301 too! I have been gone for a couple days and now I have to condition/tone up 6 horses so I won't have much time for the shop for a while.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts since our little blue Chihuahua, Balto, left us last weekend. That was very unexpected and sad for us.

Judy, you educated me! I did not realize the 127 had an ejector button! Thank you! That is nice to know since I am now using that 127 to piece!

I never heard of a green 127. I'd bet it is a 185.

Nancy
Old 05-10-2011, 04:53 PM

Well, I've contacted the seller and I'm waiting on a response.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Nancy
Nancy, Miz Johnny, or anyone,
Have you heard of a green 15 that appears white to me in the photo?
Cindy
Old 05-10-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by olebat
It's a done deal. I got the Singer 201 in cabinet with stool.
Congrats on your 201-2! You're going to love that machine after you get it working. The 201s are one of the quietest and smoothest machines out there that produces a very beautiful straight stitch. I'm always excited to read when someone picks up a 201 to use.

"Eighty years old, she was telling me stories about people and how they swapped machines around, and they died. . . "

Yup, that sums it up well. The machines outlive the owners.
It is fun to be the steward of some awesome machines.
Have fun with your new vintage machine!
Old 05-10-2011, 06:05 PM

I don't see the photo, but it could well be a repaint. Many of the older machines were refurbished--especially during WWII and directly after. The usual refinish was Godzilla, but occasionally a green one will surface.

I have a VS II that was given the Godzilla finish, and an 1869 Model 12 in that finish as well. I was amazed that one of that age would be refurbished. However, whoever did so had no better sense than to put a "modern" needle clamp on it--I spent one hysterical night trying to put in a new needle before I figured out why the 12 X 1 needle wouldn't work--I won't tell you how many times I repeated the operation, with the same result. I have a friend who'd love to tell you, though--she was the one watching and laughing.
Originally Posted by Cindy Lou Who
Originally Posted by BoJangles

Nancy
Nancy, Miz Johnny, or anyone,
Have you heard of a green 15 that appears white to me in the photo?
Cindy
Old 05-10-2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Ahhh--I thought the repro FWs looked a bit different than the "real" ones??
This one had fairly decent decals on the bed, like mine but complete, and was black in color. The only thing that I saw at a quick glance was the Singer badge was a very different color which made me question both the price & machine. That's when I was told it was a reproduction. It was not a plastic thing like the newer ones just released from China or wherever they're made now.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:26 PM

The people that I just got all my machines from brought me a motor for the hc. Needless to say the motor will stay in the box. They also said that when they had a machine that could not be saved they sawed it in half and made book ends out of it. I must of had a shocked looked on my face because she looked at me really funny. I just can not imagine anyone doing that to a wonderful machine. Kathie
Old 05-10-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
The people that I just got all my machines from brought me a motor for the hc. Needless to say the motor will stay in the box. They also said that when they had a machine that could not be saved they sawed it in half and made book ends out of it. I must of had a shocked looked on my face because she looked at me really funny. I just can not imagine anyone doing that to a wonderful machine. Kathie
OMG! They cut the machine in half and used each half as a bookend....NO...isn't that like sacrilegious doings..poor machines. :cry:
Old 05-10-2011, 06:31 PM

Olebat, don't you just love the stories the elderly tell and the way they tell them. This 80 year old women will most likey tell you more when you go get more fabric and sewing things from her. I could listen to them for days. They can teach us a lot about life in the stories they tell. Glenn