Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-26-2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

It was interesting reading the ads, some are asking a lot of money for sad looking machines. There are some interesting machines in your area, lucky you. Did you pick up that Crinkle machine that the guy said he was going to throw away?
My DH picked it up, and he paid a whooping $8 for the machine! It is a 1931 White Rotary Electric Crinkle Embossed Black machine. It is actually very interesting looking. I wish I could turn it into a hand crank, but the hand wheel is not spoked. The guy took a sledge hammer to the cabinet after they got the machine so jammed up that it would not turn at all. My DH took the hook, race thingy off and took out a -- had to be about 17 -- weight thread jammed in there. Now it turns very nice, but with the cabinet wrecked we have no way to run the machine. It seems they run on some kind of cable with a knee control -- all part of the cabinet that we didn't get.

Nancy
Old 09-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AlwaysJustBeth
Hi! My name is Beth and I'm new here. I'm not sure if this is where I write my post or not. LOL!!!
I found this Board the other day while looking for something else and noticed the Vintage Machine section. I've been reading ever since.
About 12 years ago I found my Singer treadle at a garage sale for $25.00. We put the belt on and it worked but I've never done anything with it.
I cannot find out what kind it is. The serial number is 3149690 which makes year of issue 1879 but there is a panel next to the needle bar that says "Patented USA Aug 2nd 92".
I meant to take pix earlier when it was light out but forgot.
Shopped today for the cleaning items and a leather shoelace to replace the belt I broke last night :( (It was really brittle.)
Thanks for the GREAT board!
Beth
Well it is nice to have you in the shop Beth!!! We would love to see photos of your machine (we always love the photos) and maybe we can shed some light on it for you. I know the plate that your talking about and through the years they came up missing or was just to loose to stay in place and the plates would be replaced.

But I think its funny that you found our forum and got sucked in the the Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Vortex!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Honestly its like the "Hotel California"once you check in you never can check out!

Billy
Old 09-26-2010, 03:32 PM

Hi! My name is Beth and I'm new here. I'm not sure if this is where I write my post or not. LOL!!!
I found this Board the other day while looking for something else and noticed the Vintage Machine section. I've been reading ever since.
About 12 years ago I found my Singer treadle at a garage sale for $25.00. We put the belt on and it worked but I've never done anything with it.
I cannot find out what kind it is. The serial number is 3149690 which makes year of issue 1879 but there is a panel next to the needle bar that says "Patented USA Aug 2nd 92".
I meant to take pix earlier when it was light out but forgot.
Shopped today for the cleaning items and a leather shoelace to replace the belt I broke last night :( (It was really brittle.)
Thanks for the GREAT board!
Beth
Beth, I also have a Singer Treadle that says "Patented Aug 2nd 92." That is 1892. Mine has the serial number 3171412, which would make my machine 1879 by Singer lists. This machine is actually a Singer 9W, which is a Wheeler & Wilson machine. Singer took over Wheeler and Wilson around 1905 and until about 1910 they used Wheeler and Wilson parts -- until the Wheeler and Wilson parts were used up, to make the machines. That is why the serial numbers are so confusing -- those are Wheeler and Wilson serial numbers not Singer.

I bet if you post a picture of your machine you will find that it is a Singer 9W like mine!

Oh and the belts are very easy to come by from most sewing machine shops or order from Billy, who heads this forum.

Nancy
Old 09-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Beth, I also have a Singer Treadle that says "Patented Aug 2nd 92." That is 1892. Mine has the serial number 3171412, which would make my machine 1879 by Singer lists. This machine is actually a Singer 9W, which is a Wheeler & Wilson machine. Singer took over Wheeler and Wilson around 1905 and until about 1910 they used Wheeler and Wilson parts -- until the Wheeler and Wilson parts were used up, to make the machines. That is why the serial numbers are so confusing -- those are Wheeler and Wilson serial numbers not Singer.

I bet if you post a picture of your machine you will find that it is a Singer 9W like mine!

Oh and the belts are very easy to come by from most sewing machine shops or order from Billy, who heads this forum.

Nancy
Nancy you might be on to something there. I thought about it being a 9W after I hit submit.

We need to do a survey of the W9's that we know about and we can date them from a known machine. I know for a fact that mine is a 1910 (I forgot the month now) but if we can get enough numbers together and I can find the production numbers for the W9 then we might can build us a good reliable data base to work from.

Billy
Old 09-26-2010, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
A bowling buddy asked me if I knew of anyone who would pay $25 Cdn for this little sewing machine she had kept in her hall closet for a few years. ( She probably got it for free, as she volunteered at a Women In Need shop.) Told her I'd look at it and then take it to guild if I wasn't interested, here in our area I haven't seen any interest at all in these cute machines. (& I didn't know it was a featherweight when I bought it...hehehe). I've made one care quilt with it, it's so cute....I don't really have the time to play with it or space for it....and DH said....what do you want with that old thing (the case is intact & not smelly, but not many attachments)......but here she is anyway....and I think she's here to stay! After looking up her serial # I see she was "born"" in 1948
My heart leapt when I read 1948. I was born in 1948 & would so love to have & care for her if you decide to let her go. She sure is cute, thanks for sharing.
Cheryl from Minnesota
Old 09-26-2010, 03:56 PM

Thanks Nancy and Billy. I tried random manuals online to see if I might find one that fit my machine. Didn't try too many tho. I was looking for a threading map. This machine doesn't have a bobbin case. The bobbin sits on a little post that folds onto the bobbin to hold it in place. Also wondering about needles. The one in it is broken and bent. I've not taken it out yet. Beth
Old 09-26-2010, 04:41 PM

locally on Craig's list there was an ad for a Singer 15-88 and the seller wanted a mere $1500 for it. OMG who are they kidding???
Old 09-26-2010, 05:45 PM
Banned

Oh you get those pretty regularly here also. There is a guy that has been trying to sell a clapped out Singer 27 for the last year or so. He started out wanting $900 for it and I noticed that he put it on today for $175. :lol: Every couple of weeks he will drop the price and then he will post it pretty regular until he drops it again. I told him the when he was ready to sell it then I would buy it from him at a realistic price. But he got mad at me when I told him the most I would pay was $25.

Billy
Old 09-26-2010, 05:50 PM

Thanks Nancy and Billy. I tried random manuals online to see if I might find one that fit my machine. Didn't try too many tho. I was looking for a threading map. This machine doesn't have a bobbin case. The bobbin sits on a little post that folds onto the bobbin to hold it in place. Also wondering about needles. The one in it is broken and bent. I've not taken it out yet. Beth
Ok Beth, now I am convinced your machine is actually a Singer 9W. The bobbin on the 9W just pops in and you have to fold the post in. I actually have a bunch of bobbins for my machine, but Billy could tell you if you need special bobbins or just ordinary ones. He probably has the bobbins if they are something special. Mine look pretty ordinary.

As far as the needle, those machines take a special vintage needle that is like pulling teeth to find. I managed to find some on e-bay. You will need a 127X1 or Boye # 18 to use on that machine. Unfortunately, the 9W do not take a normal/modern needle. Billy and I think Charlee are working on finding a low cost modern needle that will work on the 9W machines.

I love my Singer 9W -- It threadles very nice, but also try to remember the wheel on the 9W machines turns the opposite of most other machines. You roll the wheel away from you to sew, not toward you like most treadles!

Please post a picture!

Nancy
Old 09-26-2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Nancy you might be on to something there. I thought about it being a 9W after I hit submit.

We need to do a survey of the W9's that we know about and we can date them from a known machine. I know for a fact that mine is a 1910 (I forgot the month now) but if we can get enough numbers together and I can find the production numbers for the W9 then we might can build us a good reliable data base to work from.

Very fun idea Billy, we already have your Serial number. If you know yours is a 1910, now you have Beth's Serial #3149690, my Serial # 3171412! I know Miz Johnny has some 9W's too! We have a good start!

Nancy

Billy