Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-26-2010, 05:59 PM

Beth, this is the site that Miz Johnny (on this forum) sent me to, to find a manual and pictures of my Singer 9W.

http://needlebar.org/main~nb/manuals/singer9w/index.html

You should check it out!

Nancy
Old 09-26-2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Very fun idea Billy, we already have your Serial number. If you know yours is a 1910, now you have Beth's Serial #3149690, my Serial # 3171412! I know Miz Johnny has some 9W's too! We have a good start!

Nancy
Billy if you know your machine is a 1910, are Beth and my machine's newer or older than yours?

Nancy
Old 09-26-2010, 06:05 PM
Banned

Yeah you definitely have the W9, you need to take a photo of the bobbin it takes. They had 2 different bobbins depending on the machine that was used. The Wheeler & Wilson badged machines used one then the Singer cast ones used another. Both of them take the "Bagel" type of bobbin.

Billy
Old 09-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Banned

Very fun idea Billy, we already have your Serial number. If you know yours is a 1910, now you have Beth's Serial #3149690, my Serial # 3171412! I know Miz Johnny has some 9W's too! We have a good start!

Nancy
Billy if you know your machine is a 1910, are Beth and my machine's newer or older than yours?

Nancy
I will have to go out there and look at mine, its in the Studio. The ones that were made out of left over W&W stock all have W in front of the number. If it is just a number then you have a Singer cast machine. But this was a short lived machine for the fact of that none of the parts interchanged with anything else Singer had. If you notice a lot of the parts that fit a 1906 Singer will fit a 1956 Singer and later. The engineers made sure of the interchangeability of the parts between different models that they made.

Billy
Old 09-26-2010, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Yeah you definitely have the W9, you need to take a photo of the bobbin it takes. They had 2 different bobbins depending on the machine that was used. The Wheeler & Wilson badged machines used one then the Singer cast ones used another. Both of them take the "Bagel" type of bobbin.

Billy
The two I have take FW bobbins.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Billy
The two I have take FW bobbins.
Isnt the 301 the same as your Featherweight? I might see if mine will work but I have a bunch of the original bobbins for it and they look just like a Bagel and not flat at all.

Billy
Old 09-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Banned

Well today I had to work on something for myself so I took this morning off to build another section for my wall unit to house my machines. I have so many machines in my Studio now it is ridiculous. I can not even move around in there for having to trip, move or scoot a machine out of the way. Much less trying to work on a project that I have a few I need to work on.

So I built the set of shelves to run up one side of my wall that will hold 4 machines. I have the New Home treadle that I made a table out of the will hold my 301 with a few of the Vintage owners manuals I have to display. So that will get 5 machines out of the way and I will be able to use my treadle out there! :thumbup:

Billy
Old 09-26-2010, 07:50 PM

Well today I had to work on something for myself so I took this morning off to build another section for my wall unit to house my machines. I have so many machines in my Studio now it is ridiculous. I can not even move around in there for having to trip, move or scoot a machine out of the way. Much less trying to work on a project that I have a few I need to work on.

So I built the set of shelves to run up one side of my wall that will hold 4 machines. I have the New Home treadle that I made a table out of the will hold my 301 with a few of the Vintage owners manuals I have to display. So that will get 5 machines out of the way and I will be able to use my treadle out there! :thumbup:

Billy

Billy, you could always send your "Sonic Blue Beauty" my way--I know I could find room for it. :lol: :lol: :lol: Anne
Old 09-26-2010, 08:09 PM

Billy, I would like to help you out and get your WW9 sent to you. I know you are just making room for it. Can you do a tutorial on packing machines for shipment. I want to make sure this beauty gets to you safe and sound.

I know it involves double boxing and some styrofoam packing. But since I just got one from ebay with the hand wheel broken off and one side of the box riped open from the spool post poking through it, I know what doesn't work.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Billy, I would like to help you out and get your WW9 sent to you. I know you are just making room for it. Can you do a tutorial on packing machines for shipment. I want to make sure this beauty gets to you safe and sound.

I know it involves double boxing and some styrofoam packing. But since I just got one from ebay with the hand wheel broken off and one side of the box riped open from the spool post poking through it, I know what doesn't work.
Geesh Lisa that had to hurt!! So what kinda machine was it and what can I do to help you out fixing it.

Darcene would be the best at it that I have seen so far. I thought I was good until I saw her pack one up! Hermetically sealed is the best way to describe it. But yes Styrofoam is your best friend and double boxing helps to. Just remember it will fall at counter height at least once during its trip. The fall doesnt get them it is the sudden stop that does. ;-)

But we have a treadle involved with ours and it will need to be created after you disassemble it.

Billy