Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-09-2010, 08:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Lostn51

Just wait until you see the Hot Pink 185K I am doing next!

Billy

Eeks! Hot pink!
Talking about hot pink. I saw this on my virtual CL roaming today.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/fuo/2048880263.html

I'm not into pink (although I do like the color combination of pink and brown), but this Morse looks interesting. No more machines for me (unless there is a free one); I need to play with the ones I have and do some quilting.
I have been looking for that very machine for a long while!! I contacted the owner and waiting on a return call! Thanks for the post!!!!

Billy
Old 11-09-2010, 08:52 AM

Billy

Eeks! Hot pink!

I'm not into pink (although I do like the color combination of pink and brown), but this Morse looks interesting. No more machines for me (unless there is a free one); I need to play with the ones I have and do some quilting.
I have been looking for that very machine for a long while!! I contacted the owner and waiting on a return call! Thanks for the post!!!!

Billy
Wow! That is a stunning machine! It is like a metallic pink!

Nancy
Old 11-09-2010, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by buslady
I've been searching for a vintage Singer and in my travels have found some other machines that i couldn't pass up. Last weekend my dd and dsil (hope i get the acronyms right) signed on an old house they bought for the hunting property. There was a vintage Singer in the kitchen, and they gave it to me, they also found a box in the barn that contained a "Domestic" and several boxes of attachments. I have been looking for information on the Domestic, with no luck, anyone have an idea where I could get that ino? Am going to play with these machines this weekend and take some pictures to share. This site is awesom!
I can't wait to see the pictures! What a lucky find!

Nancy
Old 11-09-2010, 11:10 AM

Billy

Eeks! Hot pink!

Billy
Glad to be of help! I think you should do a road trip west. LA has that one store full of machines and attachments too.

Hope you get the machine.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by JaneK
That is a really neat machine, Billy. I have a "new" old machine that I found this weekend in an antique mall while visiting my daughter in Lexington, KY. The serial number is EF243454 and it was made in Great Britain. Interesting also is that it has a centennial badge commemorating the 100 years. I believe it is a 99k? A 3/4 machine, I think. The decals are good and it sews like a dream, now I have to clean her up! I paid 30.00 for her.
What mall did you go to? I live in Lexington, and thought I had bought them all. I have quit trolling, since I am in danger of collapsed floors from the weight of all these puppies!!
Old 11-09-2010, 12:34 PM

Eeks! Hot pink!

Billy[/quote]

That is a seriously cool machine, and would make a great treadle or hand crank!
Old 11-09-2010, 08:08 PM

HI Miz Johnny,
I found my "new" machine at the Peddler's Mall just off New Circle! My daughter is in her 2nd year at UK (go Cats!) and we all love Lexington. My new 99K is at home now here in Chicago!
Jane
Old 11-09-2010, 11:24 PM

I got my National Two Spools machine in treadle and running!
While cleaning the machine, some of the decals turned silver. I followed Billy's directions and did a test area, but I think someone before me must have tried to clean it with steel wool. The shellac started to come off very quickly before my eyes as I cleaned the bed area. When I looked at it closely, I noticed very fine grooves in the japan. I almost cried, but then I told myself that this machine was mine for keeps and life isn't perfect, oh well. I cleaned up the rest of the machine avoiding the decals and rest of the bed. My husband rigged up a way for the machine to sit into a Singer treadle. I love that smart man! Took a section from another Singer cabinet that was wider for the front, rigged up something in the one pin area where the pin isn't used (can't be used since it doesn't line up), and has one pin in place that does line up.
It took me sometime to figure out how the "spool can" fits into the machine, but once I made some adjustments to a pin in the "can" I was able to treadle. This rugged machine makes lovely stitches! It isn't the quietest machine (my Singer 201 is), but it does make beautiful stitches. I'm calling this machine Mr. Two Spools since I purchased him from a cowboy out in the wild west of CA.

The spool can before cleaning
[ATTACH=CONFIG]122886[/ATTACH]

Mr. Two Spools in Singer treadle
[ATTACH=CONFIG]122887[/ATTACH]

My sewing area. Two Spools in Singer treadle.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]122888[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-122881.jpe   attachment-122882.jpe   attachment-122883.jpe  
Old 11-10-2010, 05:00 AM

Very nice and I like your sewing area. I have never seen a spool can like that thanks for sharing. You can see so many different machines on this site. Didn't know there were so many.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:37 AM
Banned

I got my National Two Spools machine in treadle and running!
While cleaning the machine, some of the decals turned silver. I followed Billy's directions and did a test area, but I think someone before me must have tried to clean it with steel wool. The shellac started to come off very quickly before my eyes as I cleaned the bed area. When I looked at it closely, I noticed very fine grooves in the japan. I almost cried, but then I told myself that this machine was mine for keeps and life isn't perfect, oh well. I cleaned up the rest of the machine avoiding the decals and rest of the bed. My husband rigged up a way for the machine to sit into a Singer treadle. I love that smart man! Took a section from another Singer cabinet that was wider for the front, rigged up something in the one pin area where the pin isn't used (can't be used since it doesn't line up), and has one pin in place that does line up.
It took me sometime to figure out how the "spool can" fits into the machine, but once I made some adjustments to a pin in the "can" I was able to treadle. This rugged machine makes lovely stitches! It isn't the quietest machine (my Singer 201 is), but it does make beautiful stitches. I'm calling this machine Mr. Two Spools since I purchased him from a cowboy out in the wild west of CA.
I have the treadle that your machine would fit into sitting in my garage. I was thinking about tearing down and painting the irons and restore the cabinet for resale. It is really neat how it all works and the way the machine raises when you lift the lid and the front folds in so you can sit and sew.

Oh and all those cracks in the japan is really in the shellac or varnish that is protecting the decals. It is called crazing and you can go ahead and clean the entire machine with the GoJo and polish it with the Liquid Gold.

Billy