Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-30-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by KatFish
My Singer 301 is skiping stitches when I sew anything heavy weight, like flannel, jeans, and anything with fusable web. Can anyone tell me what to look for. I rethreaded and changed the bobbin but no such luck.
Mine has never given me any problems like that. I would maybe change the needle and adjust the pressure foot tention on top of the machine. Other then that I wouldn't be able to help you.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by featherweight
Originally Posted by KatFish
My Singer 301 is skiping stitches when I sew anything heavy weight, like flannel, jeans, and anything with fusable web. Can anyone tell me what to look for. I rethreaded and changed the bobbin but no such luck.
Mine has never given me any problems like that. I would maybe change the needle and adjust the pressure foot tention on top of the machine. Other then that I wouldn't be able to help you.
Thanks. I'll try that.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Yes Miz Johnny I tried cheating the needle down. I tried re-threading the machine, the shuttle. I tried everything I know to get this machine to even pick up the shuttle thread -- it won't. I had my DH look at the machine as he is really good with mechanics and he thinks it is the shuttle too. The shuttle fits really sloppy, not snug like my 127 or 28. My Davis is missing the tension spring wire, but that should only cause the machine to have bad stitches -- this machine won't even begin to sew.

I did get a manual printed off of Needlebar. I also ordered two different manuals from http://www.thetreadlersvillage.com/s...nemanuals.html and have received neither nor can I get a response when I e-mail them as to why?

I am a little frustrated. If I can't get this Davis to work, I will find another one one day!

Nancy
OK--I unloaded the Davis and took a look; I took pictures. I put everything back. Then I got to thinking that you bought a new shuttle for it, so I got out a Boye #10. They look a lot alike, but no cigar--the Boye DOESN'T work well in the race. I have my GD on my lap right now, but when I put her to bed in a few minutes, I'll go to the basement and look through my other Boye cases and see if they all look like this. If so, you're going to need an ORIGINAL Davis shuttle. Don't give up just yet; I want to check with some folks and see if anyone has one, and what the cost would be. I would advise you to keep it anyway, as the base/cabinet is always the hard part to find. Heads come up on Ebay occasionally. At any rate, let me look, and if you don't have a good manual copy, I'll copy mine.

I would like to add that I unloaded a 15 HC, a serger, an Ideal, and a Who Knows?, plus bits and parts--twice, because it didn't occur to me to check the Boye 10 fit until I put it all back! My life is exhausting.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:03 PM

Nancy, I have a half-dozen shuttles I'm going to try out in my VF and get back to you. It won't be for a while, as I still have my GD with me. I am waaaaaayyyyyy too old for a 3-year-old!!

On another note, is there anyone in the general area of Cincinnati that's looking for a Singer Model 12 or IF??
Old 12-30-2010, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

OK--I unloaded the Davis and took a look; I took pictures. I put everything back. Then I got to thinking that you bought a new shuttle for it, so I got out a Boye #10. They look a lot alike, but no cigar--the Boye DOESN'T work well in the race. I have my GD on my lap right now, but when I put her to bed in a few minutes, I'll go to the basement and look through my other Boye cases and see if they all look like this. If so, you're going to need an ORIGINAL Davis shuttle. Don't give up just yet; I want to check with some folks and see if anyone has one, and what the cost would be. I would advise you to keep it anyway, as the base/cabinet is always the hard part to find. Heads come up on Ebay occasionally. At any rate, let me look, and if you don't have a good manual copy, I'll copy mine.

I would like to add that I unloaded a 15 HC, a serger, an Ideal, and a Who Knows?, plus bits and parts--twice, because it didn't occur to me to check the Boye 10 fit until I put it all back! My life is exhausting.
Miz Johnny, you had to unload a Model 15 HC, a serger, an Ideal, and a Who Knows, plus bits and parts -- twice to check out that Davis????????? Man of man I did not know that much stuff would fit on a Davis!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for all the work!!!!! You are an angel!!!

I did buy some shuttles, but they are not the ones that I am using in the Davis. The shuttles I am trying to use came with the Davis, but they are not Davis shuttles. The only actual Davis shuttle I can find is for sale on the net for $45 and although, it is advertised as a Davis Vertical Feed shuttle there is a question as to whether it is actually a Davis or not. The people selling the shuttle are suppose to get back to me on whether it actually says Davis, I have a few other Boye shuttles and none of them work. I tried them all.

Does the shuttle in your Davis say Davis? I can hear you groaning right now if you have to unload that machine again! I am so sorry to ask, but I really need to know. Also, does your Davis sew if your shuttle is not a Davis?

And, I will wait until you can check with your folks about a shuttle!

Nancy
Old 12-30-2010, 07:12 PM

Nancy, I have a half-dozen shuttles I'm going to try out in my VF and get back to you. It won't be for a while, as I still have my GD with me. I am waaaaaayyyyyy too old for a 3-year-old!!

On another note, is there anyone in the general area of Cincinnati that's looking for a Singer Model 12 or IF??
Miz Johnny you have a Singer Model 12 fiddlebase? Geeze, I'd like to see your collection. If you have a Model 12, please post pictures!

Nancy
Old 12-30-2010, 07:18 PM

I want to get a portable sewing machine to carry in an RV. Other than the Featherweight (which I probably can't afford) and the 301, are there any lightweight Singers?
Old 12-30-2010, 07:22 PM

Miz Johnny thank you so much for your help. I have not given up yet. Thank you for the offer of the book. I just bid on one on e-bay - the original Davis Vertical Feed book 62 pages long. I should know if I got it by New Year's day night.

That little 3 year old is so lucky to have you!

Nancy
Old 12-30-2010, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
I did buy some shuttles, but they are not the ones that I am using in the Davis. The shuttles I am trying to use came with the Davis, but they are not Davis shuttles. The only actual Davis shuttle I can find is for sale on the net for $45 and although, it is advertised as a Davis Vertical Feed shuttle there is a question as to whether it is actually a Davis or not. The people selling the shuttle are suppose to get back to me on whether it actually says Davis, I have a few other Boye shuttles and none of them work. I tried them all.

Does the shuttle in your Davis say Davis? I can hear you groaning right now if you have to unload that machine again! I am so sorry to ask, but I really need to know. Also, does your Davis sew if your shuttle is not a Davis?

And, I will wait until you can check with your folks about a shuttle!

Nancy
The VF happens to be in my sewing room (and I use the term loosely, as I rarely get any sewing done) and my GD is asleep in there, so it will have to wait. Especially since she's feeling better and has been acting like a 3-year-old today!!
The Boye 10 is for "Davis New Style", which would be the "modern" one that uses 15 x 1 needles. There is no shuttle listed for the old style.
I have a stash of old shuttles in addition to the 5 Boye cases, so am going to try some that look like they might work. More than once I've had someone stumped by a missing shuttle, and we've just gone through shuttle after shuttle until we find one that works. I have to think on whether or not I have any Davis-made machines in my stash; I can try those out as well. It will be a couple of days, but I will get back with you.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
I want to get a portable sewing machine to carry in an RV. Other than the Featherweight (which I probably can't afford) and the 301, are there any lightweight Singers?
Usually the 301 isn't quite as expensive as the FW. Other than those two I can't think of another light one. I carry my 301 in the RV. I like the handle on top.