Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-20-2010, 11:50 PM

I live the Singer with the RAF decals, it is an original singer and it is an early 60's machine. Made in China but it is still a great little machine to own! Your Lotus is beautiful also I cant wait to see it with the handcrank on it!!

Billy[/quote]

Thanks for your confirmation and Miz Johnny's post on the Needlebar info.
I'm still wondering how I can convert the Lotus into a hand-crank since it doesn't have the standard motor boss that is need to mount the modern hand-crank to (so I read somewhere). Read that the old machines hand-cranks were mounted to the wooden box somehow. I don't think I will be doing that, if this is so. I appreciate any suggestions on how to make this idea work.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Nancy it's 1874 born date
Wow! One Hundred and thirty-six years old! Someone took good care of that machine! What a find!

Nancy
Nancy, We bought that machine from a man that is in his mid 80"s. Said his wife bought it about 10 years ago and just displayed it. The wife passed away about a year ago and he was looking for someone to give it a good home. We explained to him how we have a collection of machines oldest one now is 1854. Told him we would take good care of her. We are going to mount her on a treadle base but keep the coffin case. Named her Stradivarius because she is a rare fiddle.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Needlebar states this decal was used into the 1960's. It does have some more modern touches, like the button on the front to drop feed dogs, that I haven't seen before. Still--check this out:

http://needlebar.org/main~nb/singdecs/36/index.html
Wow, Miz Johnny that is a beautiful decal -- I wonder what bird it is suppose to be? Why is it called a "Raf" decal? Anyway, now I want one of those machines!

Nancy
Old 09-21-2010, 06:24 AM

Wow, Miz Johnny that is a beautiful decal -- I wonder what bird it is suppose to be? Why is it called a "Raf" decal? Anyway, now I want one of those machines!

Nancy
I thought 'RAF' stood for Royal Air Force...
Old 09-21-2010, 07:14 AM

Nancy it's 1874 born date
Wow! One Hundred and thirty-six years old! Someone took good care of that machine! What a find!

Nancy
Nancy, We bought that machine from a man that is in his mid 80"s. Said his wife bought it about 10 years ago and just displayed it. The wife passed away about a year ago and he was looking for someone to give it a good home. We explained to him how we have a collection of machines oldest one now is 1854. Told him we would take good care of her. We are going to mount her on a treadle base but keep the coffin case. Named her Stradivarius because she is a rare fiddle.
Geeze what a lucky find! Well, we know they are out there! The rest of us just have to keep looking! The 'looking' is 3/4's of the fun! Congratulations on finding those beautiful trophy machines!

Nancy
Old 09-21-2010, 07:17 AM

We explained to him how we have a collection of machines oldest one now is 1854.
Have you posted a picture of the 1854 machine? I bet everyone here would love to see that machine!

Nancy
Old 09-21-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I'm still wondering how I can convert the Lotus into a hand-crank since it doesn't have the standard motor boss that is need to mount the modern hand-crank to (so I read somewhere). Read that the old machines hand-cranks were mounted to the wooden box somehow. I don't think I will be doing that, if this is so. I appreciate any suggestions on how to make this idea work.
It needs to become a treadle!!
Old 09-21-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom

Nancy
I thought 'RAF' stood for Royal Air Force...
It does.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
It needs to become a treadle!!
It was in the treadle that the 15-90 is in. I moved machines around like some move furniture. Long story, but I moved machines around and moved some parts( bobbin winder and spoke wheel) from the RAF machine head to the 15-90 so that I would have the best sewing setup. I don't have a lot of room for numerous treadles. At present, I have two treadles and a sewing desk that are arranged in a u-shape. So, my Lotus went into a bentwood box that sits on my desk. Don't know what I will do with the RAF which was in a treadle (now that treadle has my 201), but it sits in a box waiting to be cleaned up. My husband says the Lotus should go back in its treadle. If ever a treadle without machine head shows up then the desk may go and I will then have three treadles (another rotation). I get dizzy thinking of all this movement.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:30 PM

Just picked up a Singer Red Eye at the thrift store for a very cheap price..... It has the wooden case which has some chipping but not in really bad shape.

The machine is in what I would consider good shape with decals and I tested it any runs strong. Needs a straight stitch foot. It also has tape stuck to the bed (to mark 1/4")

I am going to oil, clean, polish and then I don't know what. I already am over run with featherweights, and I think this is my 3rd Model 66.

Just couldn't resist her.