Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-20-2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by grannysewer
Miz Johnny,
I have a Dressmaker made in Japan, so any of the aftermarket feet and attachments might work on it? Thank, Bobbie
Probably--if it is labeled Precision and looks like a class 15 machine.
Yes, it says precision made. And it looks like the class 15's I've been seeing on this site. Thanks
Old 09-20-2010, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
So, It says it is a Singer, but is it?
Yes, it's a Singer--a decal known as "RAF" for no better reason than it sort of looks like the RAF emblem, and the time period is round about WW II. (Note that I said "about"!)
Nice looking machine--I like the RAF decal a lot, and have had a few over the years.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:15 PM

Miz Johnny,
I have noticed you seem to like the green Elna machines, (among many others)! I just spied my first Singer 185J in the green color and am now on a hunt. Have you seen many of these around or for good prices?? I have to have that color!
thanks
Cindy Lou Who
Old 09-20-2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
So, It says it is a Singer, but is it?
Yes, it's a Singer--a decal known as "RAF" for no better reason than it sort of looks like the RAF emblem, and the time period is round about WW II. (Note that I said "about"!)
Nice looking machine--I like the RAF decal a lot, and have had a few over the years.
But I don't think it is from WWII since the information from the Singer site states that the serial number starting with ND were made beginning 1962. When I first saw it, I got excited thinking that it was a RAF. When I didn't see the serial number up top, the different Singer emblem plate, and the fact that it had a Kenmore motor on it, I thought could this be post WWII Japanese model or Clone. I went for the treadle to purchase and found this surprise.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Nancy it's 1874 born date
Wow! One Hundred and thirty-six years old! Someone took good care of that machine! What a find!

Nancy
Old 09-20-2010, 08:33 PM

But I don't think it is from WWII since the information from the Singer site states that the serial number starting with ND were made beginning 1962. When I first saw it, I got excited thinking that it was a RAF. When I didn't see the serial number up top, the different Singer emblem plate, and the fact that it had a Kenmore motor on it, I thought could this be post WWII Japanese model or Clone. I went for the treadle to purchase and found this surprise.
Needlebar states this decal was used into the 1960's. It does have some more modern touches, like the button on the front to drop feed dogs, that I haven't seen before. Still--check this out:

http://needlebar.org/main~nb/singdecs/36/index.html
Old 09-20-2010, 08:36 PM

Vintagemotif,
I have to ask why there is newspaper under the machine?
This machine will most likely use vintage Singer bobbins and other parts, so it'll be easy to find bobbins and a slide plate for it. Its a very pretty machine.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cindy Lou Who
Miz Johnny,
I have noticed you seem to like the green Elna machines, (among many others)! I just spied my first Singer 185J in the green color and am now on a hunt. Have you seen many of these around or for good prices?? I have to have that color!
thanks
Cindy Lou Who
The Singer 185 machines can still be found on the cheap. They sometimes show up around here for $10 to $15. The green Elna Supers, fine as they are, usually have a motor pulley issue, making them growl and grumble. I have one that Ray White and I changed the pulley on in one of his classes. That and replacing a Viking cam stack are two things I believe I never want to do again.
I have had several green machines, including Singer 185, 285, 306, 319 and Elna Super and Grasshopper. I wouldn't bother with a 285, and probably wouldn't buy another green Super (because of motor pulley), and wouldn't buy a 185 because they're harder to turn into a HC. I already have several Singer 306 and 319 models, but would jump at the chance of another Grasshopper.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:59 PM
Banned

Wow I go an move stuff out of my FIL's house for the weekend and you guys come up with some awesome finds!!!!

I live the Singer with the RAF decals, it is an original singer and it is an early 60's machine. Made in China but it is still a great little machine to own! Your Lotus is beautiful also I cant wait to see it with the handcrank on it!!

I am just amazed at all of the post and the response that I have received on this thread. Never in my life would I believe that I would have as many post and machines show up on here much less the wonderful friendships that I have with you guys. Vintage machines are very addicting and if you do not believe me just look at Lisa she is living proof that they are very addicting. :thumbup:

But if it were not for all of you this shop would never exist and a lot of machines would be orphaned out there. Thank you so much for all of your contributions and information sharing!!

Your humble host

Billy
Old 09-20-2010, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Vintagemotif,
I have to ask why there is newspaper under the machine?
This machine will most likely use vintage Singer bobbins and other parts, so it'll be easy to find bobbins and a slide plate for it. Its a very pretty machine.
Oh, I cleaned and oiled the parts underneath, and I didn't want any oil drops hitting the box since since the box seemed to be oil free. The inside of this box is in better shape than the outside. It came with a couple of bobbins cases and bobbins, and I found that I could purchase a slide plate. Thanks.