Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-15-2011, 11:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Originally Posted by purplefiend
I was perusing Ebay and found this little gem. Only a mere $3,000!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1912-SEW...item1c196a7252
Did you notice that the shipping was only $500. Just pocket change, I wish. lol Kathie
The machine is in Romania and she will only ship to Europe. Nice machine though.......

Billy
Yeah, it's magnifico!
Old 02-15-2011, 11:39 PM

So who bought the metallic blue vintage White on ebay today? I quit bidding at $100 even though it was hard. I really wanted that one.

My daughter was here today. She can't find the cord to her new Babylock and she needs a machine. I told her she'd have to take the Elna - AnnieRose, the 301, is busy. K was in shock - couldn't believe she heard such a thing come out of my mouth. I cleaned the Elna up tonight. Boy, there's a candidate for a repaint. She's missing a lot of paint, but still sews perfectly.

Billy, how do I tell if the wiring on the 128 is okay to use? It did sew before I bought it.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by tjradj
I did my first fix! No, not drugs, sewing machine.
Yesterday at quilt club, one fine lady had her white 221K featherweight there. She and another lady played with it for 2 hours trying to get it to sew. So, 15 min before quitting time, I had to take a look.
I got the bobbin out easily - after reading online (ahem)
Found the undercarriage FULL of thread.
Got that all cleaned out.
No go. Everytime you started her up, she'd fill the bobbin case with thread again and quit.
We oiled, and we oiled, and we oiled some more.
But still no go.
So, in a moment of bravery (or insanity), I asked if I could take it home to look at it and see what I could do. And she agreed!!!!!!!!!!!
So home we went, and onto the kitchen table she landed.
I carefully took out screws, and taped them to a paper with a label as to where it goes.
I even took the bobbin case apart, and took the tension spring off and everything. Then I dropped one of those screws on the floor. A carpet floor. The screw that's about half the size of an ant. So, down on my knees I searched, and I found it!!!! That REALLY surprised me.
I reassembled the bobbin case and left the tension quite a bit looser than it was, just so that I could feel the pull but the bobbin didn't fall down when I held the thread.
Put it together again, and the same thing happened.
Then, I had a eureka moment. I had had the similar problem with my own Janome recently, and the problem was a burr on the bobbin case. So, I started looking for burrs. There were a few gouges on the hole in the needle plate. I didn't think they were big enough to be a problem, but I burnished them flat anyway.
That was it. That was the problem.
With a fiddle of the upper tension, she was away.
She sews a beautiful stitch. I filled up a whole 8x8 piece of double fabric with thread just waiting for the problem to happen again, but it didn't.
That little burr was enough to stop that machine from sewing.
So I called her mama, and she'll be going home soon as we can get together.
But not before I play with it just a little bit more......
Congrats! Feels good to help others and in the processes you have now become the official repair person for your quilt group, the FW expert.
Have you told this story to the lady that owns the machine? :)
Old 02-16-2011, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by kwendt
I'm a little 'afraid' to attempt to use the 27 at the moment.
There is a very nice tutorial on www.youtube.com, showing how to wind the bobbin and how to thread the shuttle. I used it to learn how to thread the shuttle for my New Home VSIII.
Great idea. Duh...
Here are Treadle Lady's videos showing how to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreadleL.../8/GOu4-CG8RMU

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreadleL.../7/TFQ6fTVnkT0
Old 02-16-2011, 06:21 AM

I was perusing Ebay and found this little gem. Only a mere $3,000!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1912-SEW...item1c196a7252
Golly Gee, ok, my goal someday is to find a Pfaff treadle, but $3,000 and it is in Romania! Maybe, I will just keep hoping!

Nancy
Old 02-16-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Shemjo
Thanks, Nancy. I could not remember the other decal names. I was just too excited to think. And they are pretty dirty, but I oopsed! I found out it is a model 27 from April 1901. Thanks for giving me the right name for this machine. I will get her inside and figure out how I will clean her up.
Shemjo, here is a manual for the 27. http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect.../NMAHTEX/0673/

But, remember when you bring up this page you will get the whole manual in little postage sized pictures. You will have to click on each page individually that you want to print and ask for that page. The pictures you click on will have a header page and a footer page so when you ask for the print always ask for page 2 of 3. This is the only way I could print from the Smithonian.

Kathy this is an answer to your question too about printing from this site.

Nancy
Old 02-16-2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Shemjo
Nancy, the last date on my Little Willie is April 17, '83 The serial number is a scratch? 49306 or 00. The base looks like it might have been in a cabinet at one time. The metal is worn, but everything moves. He is neat. I think he is a model 64 as well.
Our SS numbers are similar. I found a dating site for the older W & G's when I was researching mine. Now, I have to find it again! What a goof up, can't believe I did not save the site! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Nancy
Old 02-16-2011, 06:49 AM

The 301 does straight stitch only and has reverse. They are wonderful machines that sew at a pretty fast clip.
Sharon

Has drop feed dogs!!! Ruff Ruff!
Well, that is interesting to note - drops feed dogs!

I had heard the machines that do have a buttonholer attachment like the FW, but don't zig zag are a little trying to the nerves to get a button hole. I think you have to move the fabric or something? Anyway, our instructor at the FW class said some people use the button holer, but she found it very difficult because the machine doesn't actually zig zag, like the Rocketeer does. Since the 301 and the FW are so similar, I think the button hole attachment works on either one. I think, I'd use those two for straight stitch stuff and leave the button holes to a different machine!

I am going to keep my eyes open for a 301 just to see how much I'd like her! But, I really like my FW's and my Rocketeer is a blast to sew with!

Nancy
Old 02-16-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by tjradj
I did my first fix! No, not drugs, sewing machine.
Yesterday at quilt club, one fine lady had her white 221K featherweight there.
Loved your whole story! Basically, what I have been telling everyone -- this is what our instructor said too! FW's are amazing machines that can be fixed! They are so darn cute too! Congratulations, on your persistence to getting her running again!

Nancy
Old 02-16-2011, 08:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by irishrose
So who bought the metallic blue vintage White on ebay today? I quit bidding at $100 even though it was hard. I really wanted that one.

My daughter was here today. She can't find the cord to her new Babylock and she needs a machine. I told her she'd have to take the Elna - AnnieRose, the 301, is busy. K was in shock - couldn't believe she heard such a thing come out of my mouth. I cleaned the Elna up tonight. Boy, there's a candidate for a repaint. She's missing a lot of paint, but still sews perfectly.

Billy, how do I tell if the wiring on the 128 is okay to use? It did sew before I bought it.
Look to make sure that there is no cracks and breaks in the wiring. Thats really about it, make sure the wiring on the motor looks okay and that you plug it into a outlet with a GFCI protector. its a few dollars at your hardware store but its an insurance policy that I recommend for any vintage machine. I learned the hard way and my buddy brought one over and it is so nice no chance of you getting shocked on this one.

Billy