Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-16-2011, 08:00 AM

I did tell the owner about fixing her Featherweight. But I think I am far from being an expert. Those little sweeties were build so that the owner could keep them running. Kind of like my bright orange 1971 Dodge duster with the slant 6 engine. One could do one's own basic maintenance - unlike the computer driven machines of today.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by purplefiend
I was perusing Ebay and found this little gem. Only a mere $3,000!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1912-SEW...item1c196a7252
Golly Gee, ok, my goal someday is to find a Pfaff treadle, but $3,000 and it is in Romania! Maybe, I will just keep hoping!

Nancy
A really good friend in Boston picked one up locally for less than a $100 so they are out there!

Billy
Old 02-16-2011, 08:30 AM

Finally I'm ready to move my shortbed tan 301 into my LA shop and use her. I'll have her set up for regular stitching and my 626 set to chain stitch my backs onto leaders. DH refinished the tan 301's (her name is Coco) cabinet. It's walnut and is gorgeous, looks brand new. So, I'll move my 15-185 elsewhere and put Coco in her place. She sews a beautiful stitch (I had to do a little work on the needle holder cause it was on the wrong side of the bar but all is good now. I'll shoot some pics and post later.
This place is so much fun. Love to keep up with everybody's finds and fixes. Oh, and I made homemade oatmeal muffins this morning for everybody. ummmmmm
Old 02-16-2011, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kwendt
The 301 does straight stitch only and has reverse. They are wonderful machines that sew at a pretty fast clip.
Sharon

Has drop feed dogs!!! Ruff Ruff!
Well, that is interesting to note - drops feed dogs!

I had heard the machines that do have a buttonholer attachment like the FW, but don't zig zag are a little trying to the nerves to get a button hole. I think you have to move the fabric or something? Anyway, our instructor at the FW class said some people use the button holer, but she found it very difficult because the machine doesn't actually zig zag, like the Rocketeer does. Since the 301 and the FW are so similar, I think the button hole attachment works on either one. I think, I'd use those two for straight stitch stuff and leave the button holes to a different machine!

I am going to keep my eyes open for a 301 just to see how much I'd like her! But, I really like my FW's and my Rocketeer is a blast to sew with!

Nancy
I have a FW 222K. The feed dogs go down and it sews beautiful buttonholes on just a double layer of fabric (no starching) and ditto with the zig zag patterns. I got my two attachements on ebay, and they both work a treat.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Finally I'm ready to move my shortbed tan 301
This place is so much fun. Love to keep up with everybody's finds and fixes. Oh, and I made homemade oatmeal muffins this morning for everybody. ummmmmm
I'm getting a slow start today. While drinking my coffee and reading the thread, I'll help myself to one of your oatmeal muffins, yum! Looking forward to your photos of your cabinet later on.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:00 PM

Ok you guys, this is Willy. He doesn't look like much right now, although, I love him to death! He has very cute little feet to treadle and the painted emblem is on the inside of his coffin top! I am going to re-finish his cabinet with Glenn's tutorial and see if he still remembers how to sew! His last patent date is April 17, 1883.

Nancy
I am a little late on this one but I wanted to show you my Willy. We did sew on him and he makes a nice chain stitch. Since reading about yours I will look for the seral number on the leg.

Will get a clean up in the Spring
[ATTACH=CONFIG]151266[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-151261.jpe  
Old 02-16-2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by kwendt
The 301 does straight stitch only and has reverse. They are wonderful machines that sew at a pretty fast clip.
Sharon

Has drop feed dogs!!! Ruff Ruff!
Well, that is interesting to note - drops feed dogs!

I had heard the machines that do have a buttonholer attachment like the FW, but don't zig zag are a little trying to the nerves to get a button hole. I think you have to move the fabric or something? Anyway, our instructor at the FW class said some people use the button holer, but she found it very difficult because the machine doesn't actually zig zag, like the Rocketeer does. Since the 301 and the FW are so similar, I think the button hole attachment works on either one. I think, I'd use those two for straight stitch stuff and leave the button holes to a different machine!

I am going to keep my eyes open for a 301 just to see how much I'd like her! But, I really like my FW's and my Rocketeer is a blast to sew with!

Nancy
I have a FW 222K. The feed dogs go down and it sews beautiful buttonholes on just a double layer of fabric (no starching) and ditto with the zig zag patterns. I got my two attachements on ebay, and they both work a treat.
My 301 came with a buttonhole attachment. Haven't tried it yet, chicken I guess. Doesn't seem possible that a straight stitch machine would make buttonholes. Bobbie
Old 02-16-2011, 12:21 PM

My 301 came with a buttonhole attachment. Haven't tried it yet, chicken I guess. Doesn't seem possible that a straight stitch machine would make buttonholes. Bobbie

I think I have one of those attachments somewhere in my sewing stuff and I'll have to get it out and try it. As a child, I remember my mom making beautiful bottonholes on her Redeye 66 with one of those attachments and it always amazed me. I loved to watch that little black gizmo do it's thing. I am still in awe of all the inovative attachments that were made for all of the old machines and I envy the minds of the ppl that can come up with the ideas. Truly inspiring.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman

I think I have one of those attachments somewhere in my sewing stuff and I'll have to get it out and try it. As a child, I remember my mom making beautiful bottonholes on her Redeye 66 with one of those attachments and it always amazed me. I loved to watch that little black gizmo do it's thing. I am still in awe of all the inovative attachments that were made for all of the old machines and I envy the minds of the ppl that can come up with the ideas. Truly inspiring.
I know what you mean. I have all these attachments and need to make something to use them on. The manual I downloaded even had instructions on how to use them. I don't need to ruffle anything, but its looks like so much fun.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Shemjo
Thanks, Nancy. I could not remember the other decal names. I was just too excited to think. And they are pretty dirty, but I oopsed! I found out it is a model 27 from April 1901. Thanks for giving me the right name for this machine. I will get her inside and figure out how I will clean her up.
Shemjo, here is a manual for the 27. http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect.../NMAHTEX/0673/

Thank you Nancy, you are the best. Kathie

But, remember when you bring up this page you will get the whole manual in little postage sized pictures. You will have to click on each page individually that you want to print and ask for that page. The pictures you click on will have a header page and a footer page so when you ask for the print always ask for page 2 of 3. This is the only way I could print from the Smithonian.

Kathy this is an answer to your question too about printing from this site.

Nancy