Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1049 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 49 549 949 999 1039 1048 1049 1050 1059 1099 1149 1549 ... LastLast
Results 26,201 to 26,225 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    That's terrific Jan! Congrats on the ribbon, are you going to post pics? :)
    Forgot to attach the pictures. this is a needle turn, hand quilted quilt 65 x 70". Took about a year to do. I got so tired of looking at it. No more large quilts for me.

Texas Jan
    Oh my goodness what a gorgeous quilt and congratulations on the blue ribbon. Wish my hand quilting is nice as yours.

I free motion with my 66 alot. I just put a piece of vinyl over the dogs and make a hole only big enough for the needle to go through tape it down with shipping tape and your ready to go. Get my vinyl at wal-mart by the yard, very reasonably priced. I also have some supreme sliders, but just sliced one pretty bad taking it off the 66. The needle cut it as if it was a slice of meat as I was removing it. Now will use my vinyl for a while. The sliders are too expensive to be careless like I was. Try the vinyl you'll like it. It covers the feed dogs and your stitches are good on front and back.

Good Luck

Suzy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Nancy if you send me your email address I will sent you a short clip of the machine in action in the treadle. If you have a red eye with the treadle no modification is necessary except to remove the motor and place in you cabinet. You will need a belt longer than the one on the red eye. I think any singer treadle with same dim as the red eye would work. My 319 fits the back lift hinges on the treadle. You will see an old man working the machine to LOL
    Glenn
    Ok I just watched a very handsome, young, thin man with a mustache and a big smile threadle his Singer 319! WOW! I want one - I am now on the hunt for a 319! Glenn, you are right the 'clip' you sent me is very short, but WOW it looks like so much fun to treadle a machine that does decorative stitches! What year is your 319? That machine sounds so smooth running!

Thank you!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzy
    I free motion with my 66 alot. I just put a piece of vinyl over the dogs and make a hole only big enough for the needle to go through tape it down with shipping tape and your ready to go. Get my vinyl at wal-mart by the yard, very reasonably priced. I also have some supreme sliders, but just sliced one pretty bad taking it off the 66. The needle cut it as if it was a slice of meat as I was removing it. Now will use my vinyl for a while. The sliders are too expensive to be careless like I was. Try the vinyl you'll like it. It covers the feed dogs and your stitches are good on front and back.

Good Luck

Suzy
    Suzy that is a really good idea as those don't those sliders come with just a small hole for FM quilting? I have one here somewhere, just don't use it as I do all my FM with my 15-88.

Monica, do you ever have trouble with your stitch when you bind a big quilt? I just got done binding a Queen/King size quilt (100 x 112) on my Betty (Davis Vertical Feed) and I had to go around twice. I couldn't get the stitches to stay uniform. I think because the quilt is so heavy it was pulling too much. I kept taking it off to see if my stitch regulator was messed up - it quilted fine on scraps - but, the big quilt had good stitches then bunched up stitches. This happens everytime I quilt a very large quilt. I don't have that problem when I use my Pfaff 1222e and it has to pull the same way? I'm thinking because it does not have feed dogs that the quilt is a little less stable under the foot?

Nancy

I haven't tried but can I use lestoil to clean my machine?
    I'm thinking no, but thought I would ask

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_cheryl
    Hi I have a Minnehaha treadle sewing machine. I bought it for 75 dollars about 15 years ago. It is in PERFECT condition but I need to get a belt for it. It's very ornate.
    Good price! :) We'd love to see photos of it...as for a belt? All but one of my treadles has a 72 inch leather bootlace cut down to size and held together with either a piece of paperclip or a few stitches of dental floss... ;)
    Charlee are you serious? You really use a 'bootlace' as opposed to a regular treadle belt? That is so cool, I may have to try that! Geeze, you guys are always coming up with innovative ideas!

Nancy
    Yep! Totally serious! :lol: I don't see any reason to pay 8 or 9 dollars plus shipping for a belt when I can fork out a few bucks for a bootlace and it does the job! ;)
    I've known ladies that have had a belt break and they will grab the leg off a pair of pantyhose to use until they can get one!
    Somehow, I think our foremothers approve of your bootlace, and the reason for it. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mpeters1200

I know there are a lot of clones of the 15 out there. Are they just as good as the Singer 15's? I am just trying to keep a look out for a 15 so I can FMQ on it. I've read here in the shop that it's easier to FMQ on the 15's than the 66's...but I haven't tried either for myself yet.

So you VSM owners that have both reg and clone 15's, what are your opinions?

Thank you,

Melissa
    Melissa lots of people would argue that the 15 clones are actually better machines than Singer's 15 - which they are cloned after. The 15 clones usually have a little knob on the bed to lower the feed dogs, which the Singer 15's don't have. You have to lift the machine and turn a thumb screw underneath the bed. The 15 clones also have oil receptors with a little ball bearing that recesses when you put oil in. Some have pressure release knobs too instead of having to turn the screw on the top to release the pressure on the foot. Singer 15's are not that sophisticated! The clones also come in amazing colors, including red! I have a very pretty 15 clone pictured here on page 929. The clones interchange with Singers 15 for parts too. The only problem is that the clones did not come in treadles - hence my preference to my Singer 15-88 for FMQting!~

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Forgot to attach the pictures. this is a needle turn, hand quilted quilt 65 x 70". Took about a year to do. I got so tired of looking at it. No more large quilts for me.

Texas Jan
    Texas Jan, beautiful quilt!

Glenn, you are something else too! That dresden plate is exquisite!

Nancy

Oh my! 1748 pages on vintage machines. It's going to take me awhile to catch up with you guys, but I'll love every minute of it. Thanks for starting this thread.

~ Cindy

I missed 2 days online, now it will take me all day to catch up.
    But I have to go clean.
    Have a wonderful day All.

OK...I'm up to page 8 and I already have a question. I have a 403A Slant-O-Matic, which I dearly love. I went to the Singer site to try to date her and I found conflicting information. It's my understanding that the Slant-O-Matic series started in 1958, but Singer says that the serial number on my machine dates it at 1951. Please help, I'm confused. Thanks.

~Cindy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tropit
    OK...I'm up to page 8 and I already have a question. I have a 403A Slant-O-Matic, which I dearly love. I went to the Singer site to try to date her and I found conflicting information. It's my understanding that the Slant-O-Matic series started in 1958, but Singer says that the serial number on my machine dates it at 1951. Please help, I'm confused. Thanks.

~Cindy
    I don't know either but I LOVE the ones I have.

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Nancy if you send me your email address I will sent you a short clip of the machine in action in the treadle. If you have a red eye with the treadle no modification is necessary except to remove the motor and place in you cabinet. You will need a belt longer than the one on the red eye. I think any singer treadle with same dim as the red eye would work. My 319 fits the back lift hinges on the treadle. You will see an old man working the machine to LOL
    Glenn
    Ok I just watched a very handsome, young, thin man with a mustache and a big smile threadle his Singer 319! WOW! I want one - I am now on the hunt for a 319! Glenn, you are right the 'clip' you sent me is very short, but WOW it looks like so much fun to treadle a machine that does decorative stitches! What year is your 319? That machine sounds so smooth running!

Thank you!

Nancy
    Nancy...I have one I can probably part with if you're serious. You can PM me...I live in Elk Grove.

Nancy, Glenn and Charlee,

Thank you for your responses. It sounds like the belt motors are easier to deal with. I'm still leary about not really knowing what I'm looking for. The tension on the faceplate is a really good tip. I'm hoping to find one that runs good or doesn't need a lot of work. It seems like people in this area are really in the know about how popular vintage machines are right now. CL is full of "antique" sewing machine offers for 250.00 and up!

Someday, when we don't live in a 2 bedroom apartment, I'll be able to start securing tables for these ladies!

I want to practice piecing on the 66, but I haven't found the accurate 1/4 seam yet. I have a screw on seam guide like what Glenn has. I think I'm going to change it to the narrower foot, then measure, then put the seam guide on and see if that helps it. I won't be piecing anything new until after the new year, so I won't worry about it for a little while. Need to make my Christmas list so hubby knows what parts and accessories I need.

Oh, on thread. I'm learning about the different weights on thread and stuff. I know not to use hand quilting thread in my little Janome, could I use it in the 66? Someone gifted me two HUGE spools of it and I doubt I'll live long enough to quilt that much purple thread by hand.

Do most other types of thread sew good in a VSM? I would rather not create an environment that requires me to adjust the tension. I'm still really scared of that knob!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mpeters1200
    Nancy, Glenn and Charlee,

Thank you for your responses. It sounds like the belt motors are easier to deal with. I'm still leary about not really knowing what I'm looking for. The tension on the faceplate is a really good tip. I'm hoping to find one that runs good or doesn't need a lot of work. It seems like people in this area are really in the know about how popular vintage machines are right now. CL is full of "antique" sewing machine offers for 250.00 and up!

Someday, when we don't live in a 2 bedroom apartment, I'll be able to start securing tables for these ladies!

I want to practice piecing on the 66, but I haven't found the accurate 1/4 seam yet. I have a screw on seam guide like what Glenn has. I think I'm going to change it to the narrower foot, then measure, then put the seam guide on and see if that helps it. I won't be piecing anything new until after the new year, so I won't worry about it for a little while. Need to make my Christmas list so hubby knows what parts and accessories I need.

Oh, on thread. I'm learning about the different weights on thread and stuff. I know not to use hand quilting thread in my little Janome, could I use it in the 66? Someone gifted me two HUGE spools of it and I doubt I'll live long enough to quilt that much purple thread by hand.

Do most other types of thread sew good in a VSM? I would rather not create an environment that requires me to adjust the tension. I'm still really scared of that knob!
    here is a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ftHGCfU39M

Blog Entries
    You don't want to use hand quilting thread in ANY machine because of the wax coating...it'll gum up the tension discs. I know how you feel tho, I have a collection of hand quilting threads (no purple tho! :lol: )

I used to be scared of the tension knob myself. I think because of Mama, when she was teaching me on her Featherweight gave me a stern "Don't TOUCH that!". :lol: There hasn't been a dealer that I've talked to either that didn't say, "If the bobbin tension needs adjustment, bring it in!". Now I'm fearless! I adjust the top first, and if that doesn't work for me, I center the top tension and go after the bobbin! ;)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lee231
    The adjustment is from the backside, under the arm, the hole behind the needle bar, needle bar has to be aligned with the hole. Wait for Glen to say how to make the adjustment. b/c I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    cocked needle bar
    If there is no screw on the front or side of the needle bar then you do have to go to thru the back hole and make the adjustment. It has been a long time since I have done this because you very seldom see this problem. I can't remember if is it allen or flat head screw. Just barley loosen it and turn the bar in the direction you need to go the bar should line up with the hole. the screw will be very tight. And try not to move the bar up or down. It is easier to do with needle in and you use the needle as a quide to insure it is not hitting the face plate or the foot when you make this adjustment.

Blog Entries
    You don't want to use hand quilting thread in ANY machine because of the wax coating...it'll gum up the tension discs. I know how you feel tho, I have a collection of hand quilting threads (no purple tho! :lol: )

I used to be scared of the tension knob myself. I think because of Mama, when she was teaching me on her Featherweight gave me a stern "Don't TOUCH that!". :lol: There hasn't been a dealer that I've talked to either that didn't say, "If the bobbin tension needs adjustment, bring it in!". Now I'm fearless! I adjust the top first, and if that doesn't work for me, I center the top tension and go after the bobbin! ;)
    Charlee is right no quilting thread in the machine. But the old machines like the 66 are not fussy about sewing machine threads. Don't be afraid of the tension knob.

Texas Jan
    Ohhhhhh Jan,

That is a work of art.

What does needle turn mean?

I'm going to have to make a jewel toned quilt with a lots of purple so I can use up some of that thread then! No HQ thread in the machine. Okie dokie. I know some, like the ones I prefer, are coated, but this thread didn't seem like dental floss like some of my others. It can go in the collection as I am amassing some thread colors!

I love this thread. I have already had such a great time playing on my machine. I'm learning so much!

Thanks guys!

Blog Entries
    [quote=BoJangles]
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzy

Monica, do you ever have trouble with your stitch when you bind a big quilt? I just got done binding a Queen/King size quilt (100 x 112) on my Betty (Davis Vertical Feed) and I had to go around twice. I couldn't get the stitches to stay uniform. I think because the quilt is so heavy it was pulling too much. I kept taking it off to see if my stitch regulator was messed up - it quilted fine on scraps - but, the big quilt had good stitches then bunched up stitches. This happens everytime I quilt a very large quilt. I don't have that problem when I use my Pfaff 1222e and it has to pull the same way? I'm thinking because it does not have feed dogs that the quilt is a little less stable under the foot?

Nancy
    Nancy, My one Davis does that from time to time. Could be numerous situations: either pulling of fabrics, time for more oil, or behind the cover plate all those metal gears needs a good cleaning. Directions on taking the items apart to clean can be found on the Yahoo Davis VF site. I haven't done that yet. I was told to clean the machine, and after cleaning I would be surprised at how much better it stitches and sounds.

Blog Entries

Texas Jan
    Beautiful!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lee231
    The adjustment is from the backside, under the arm, the hole behind the needle bar, needle bar has to be aligned with the hole. Wait for Glen to say how to make the adjustment. b/c I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    cocked needle bar
    If there is no screw on the front or side of the needle bar then you do have to go to thru the back hole and make the adjustment. It has been a long time since I have done this because you very seldom see this problem. I can't remember if is it allen or flat head screw. Just barley loosen it and turn the bar in the direction you need to go the bar should line up with the hole. the screw will be very tight. And try not to move the bar up or down. It is easier to do with needle in and you use the needle as a quide to insure it is not hitting the face plate or the foot when you make this adjustment.
    It is a flat screw. I can see it. I think I will wait for DH to lend a hand. This is going to take the right screw driver for sure. I also found a service manual showed access to that screw. They don't seem to make that adjustment screw particularly easy to access do they? This machine has some paint gouges probably from the foot control but no wear. I bet it came that way and no one used the machine. What a pity.

Has anyone ever heard of a "Belvedere" brand sewing machine?

~ Cindy

Blog Entries
    do you have a photo of a domestic 151 with the front cover removed? trying to see how everything connects up inside.