Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-02-2011, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Donna Mare
Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by Lostn51
The other is this singer, not working, in a box. I looked this up by the number and it's 1936.
Sweet thats a nice 201!!!

Billy
She said it doesn't work. She wants 20 for it. Whatcha think?
Depending on how much rust it's got... Give her the $20 and I'LL be HAPPY to have you send it down to me to work on... $20+cost of shipping to florida (or just hold onto it for me til summer time when I'm up there.) Beats the $100 price tag down here! whoosh.
You are coming to Maine? What part do you go to? You should be here now.... we have some fantastic white stuff we would love to share with the rest of the USA!!
I grew up in Aroostook, love to ski. Family in Bangor and Freeport area. We used to sail out of Belfast harbor. Have a little camp on Lucerne lake. I love the cold, wood stoves, mittens, snowball fights, ice skating, hot cocoa and tramping through the forest in search of the perfect Christmas tree. Like to split and stack wood, but I'm rather out of practice these days.... want to get up to the Common Grounds fair this year, but not sure I'll make it. Just depends. DH and I do a 4 or 5 day road trip up, having fun along the way... He's thelma... I'm louise... lol!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:36 PM

Donna, You did not get your no. wrong. When I went back and checked again I found that I had added a no. Thankyou again for your response and help. I would like to find a place to help figure out some of the attachments and to get replacement parts for it. I was playing with it and it does sew well. Jan
Old 02-02-2011, 02:58 PM

I've got some work ahead of me. My new-to-me 15-91 came home today. Do you know, I had to show the shop owner how to drop the feed dogs on the thing, she didn't think it could! I knew better, 'cause of this thread! She was amazed. In turn, she was very careful to show ME that the oscallating bobbin was fussy about when you pulled thread.

Her tip for the 15's: always always bring the needle take up lever/needle to the highest position, and bring the pressure foot up to the highest position FIRST before attempting to remove the work, pull on the threads or anything. It's fussy. And it will jam if you don't do this.

Anyway... I wiped down the outside of the cabinet with Industro clean (I'm stripping it tomorrow)... the rag came away BROWN with tar/old varnish. There's water damage to the top, some slight cracking of veneer.

The machine itself is dull, coated with nasty tar stuff. I'm going to dismantle the thing using Billly's tute, just to clean all the surfaces and such.

That cabinet though... I can strip the varnish off the legs, sides, and all the surfaces of the tops.... but its raw wood on the inner box, the inner pull out drawer, and the bent wood machine modesty panel. NOT varnish. So the smoke has got to the raw wood on those areas. So hum... Can I brush stripper onto the raw wood surfaces to remove the old nicotine? Then maybe coat all the inner/raw wood areas with Zinnzer primer to seal it? Stain, varnish and poly the outsides like normal.

Anybody have any advice on this? Any refinishers on here/ Baking soda and water will take out surface smells, but not remove the smoke and tar. I wish I wasn't so allergic to the stuff.

Maybe I should just good will the cabinet, and find another one... ???
Hi Kwendt, I restore antiques and have for years. Learned the trade in Germany when stationed there in Army. The best thing you can do on the raw wood with smoke and tar is to wipe down the surface with household ammonia(damp only) and do this twice. When dry coat the raw wood with clear or orange shellac from Lowes or Home Depot. You can also wipe down the wood with denatured alcohol which is better than ammonia. Use two thin coats of the shellac. I would recommend using shellac as the final finish on the outside of the cabinet. Most sewing machine cabinets that are fairly old all had shellac. You can tell what finish was used by rubbing a small spot with alcohol, if it desolves the finish then shellas was used, if not it is varnish. The shellac will block orders. I only finish my cabinets by stripping if needed then stain with a anline dye(water soluble). You can get in walnut and oak or any color you want. Then finish off with three coats of shellac. I hope this help and I will be glad to answer all your questions. Glenn
Old 02-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Thanx Nancy. You are a great help. All you guys are so encouraging. This is such a wonderful group. You guys are soothing a hurt that I've had for 8 yrs. since my mother passed away. Thank you so much! luv2learn
I'm so glad... There are so many nice people here. I lost my mom, too and I know how hard it is.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Thanx Nancy. You are a great help. All you guys are so encouraging. This is such a wonderful group. You guys are soothing a hurt that I've had for 8 yrs. since my mother passed away. Thank you so much! luv2learn

I'm glad you have found some comfort here. I sew on either my Mom's Singer 403a that I inherited in 2007 when she died, or the Featherweight that she got me when I was 12. When I sew, I can't help but think of her, relishing the many happy memories of her teaching me to sew & then letting me spread my wings to do it on my own. I actually cried when I finished my first quilt, one for my first great-nephew born last June. I just know Momma's hands were guiding mine with every stitch. Life does come full circle sometimes.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
The other is this singer, not working, in a box. I looked this up by the number and it's 1936.
Sweet thats a nice 201!!!

Billy
She said it doesn't work. She wants 20 for it. Whatcha think?
Depending on how much rust it's got... Give her the $20 and I'LL be HAPPY to have you send it down to me to work on... $20+cost of shipping to florida (or just hold onto it for me til summer time when I'm up there.) Beats the $100 price tag down here! whoosh.
You are coming to Maine? What part do you go to? You should be here now.... we have some fantastic white stuff we would love to share with the rest of the USA!!
I grew up in Aroostook, love to ski. Family in Bangor and Freeport area. We used to sail out of Belfast harbor. Have a little camp on Lucerne lake. I love the cold, wood stoves, mittens, snowball fights, ice skating, hot cocoa and tramping through the forest in search of the perfect Christmas tree. Like to split and stack wood, but I'm rather out of practice these days.... want to get up to the Common Grounds fair this year, but not sure I'll make it. Just depends. DH and I do a 4 or 5 day road trip up, having fun along the way... He's thelma... I'm louise... lol!
Great !!! You do Maine like a Mainah ... that is so nice! The way it used to be! You don't see many of the younger ones today enjoying all of that. Common Ground is great! If you haven't done the wood for awhile, you will be ouchy. The slow road trip up is a great idea. Take your time and enjoy . LOL Thelma and Louise, you 2 must be a great pair!
Old 02-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by janisspencer
Hi,I am new to this so bear with me. I have acquired a Singer treadle machine. The only No. I have found on it is G7789982. I would like to learn more about it so if you could give me information of how to get a manuel for it I would appreciate it. It sews well but would like to get some parts for it. Other than a manuel it also needs the thread holder for the top. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks jan
More importantly that number tells you what the machine is-- a model 66! The manual is available as a free download online, here:
www.a1sewingmachine.com/manuals/66.pdf

With it being made in 1910 I would venture a guess that it has back-clamping feet, unless someone changed the pressure bar to one that accepts side clamping feet, somewhere along the way. I have a 1908 66 that uses back clamping feet and that works for me! I have read (mostly here) that those feet are harder to find than the side clamps, probably because so many later machines all used the same side clamps.

Not sure what you mean by needing a thread holder. Is one of the thread guides broken off? You can probably find the part online, or maybe Billy can hook you up.

Enjoy that cool machine!
Old 02-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

Grins, you're talking way over my head. I'm still crawling, not walking yet with the abbreviations? HC ? What does that mean? Pictures help... I understand part of it. I will probably feel really stupid when I find out what HC means. Grin, I can take it ! Thank you for the info.
HC means hand crank. The machine needs to have either a spoked hand wheel or a solid wheel with a spot in it for a crank to attach to. Otherwise you would need to change the wheel to a spoked wheel before putting on a crank, as far as I know...

Now I need some help with abbreviations... VS and TS. VS= Variable Shuttle??? But what is TS? I'm drawing a blank.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:36 PM

Jan, you are in the right place for getting help! Put it out there what you need help with. You will get responses! I too am in the learning part of doing things on these machines. A month ago I came in here about quilting and then... it turned into WOW>> I can make a collection of machines, how fun is that. Now I think , ok..to support my habit, I have to buy and sell and keep my favorites! These people are nice. You can sit back and just read. I copy many things that I can use while learning here. Ask questions, there is so much knowledge here!!
I am glad it is working out so well for you. Sometimes it gets so they are part of you, like another hand. Let me know when you name it :)
Donna
Old 02-02-2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Originally Posted by janisspencer
Hi,I am new to this so bear with me. I have acquired a Singer treadle machine. The only No. I have found on it is G7789982. I would like to learn more about it so if you could give me information of how to get a manuel for it I would appreciate it. It sews well but would like to get some parts for it. Other than a manuel it also needs the thread holder for the top. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks jan
More importantly that number tells you what the machine is-- a model 66! The manual is available as a free download online, here:
www.a1sewingmachine.com/manuals/66.pdf

With it being made in 1910 I would venture a guess that it has back-clamping feet, unless someone changed the pressure bar to one that accepts side clamping feet, somewhere along the way. I have a 1908 66 that uses back clamping feet and that works for me! I have read (mostly here) that those feet are harder to find than the side clamps, probably because so many later machines all used the same side clamps.

Not sure what you mean by needing a thread holder. Is one of the thread guides broken off? You can probably find the part online, or maybe Billy can hook you up.

Enjoy that cool machine!
I think that machine is a 127, manufactured Jan 6 1920. Not a 66.
As to the thread holder, Billy may have one. If not, there are online stores for vintage parts. Or you could just use a thread holder stand.