Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-03-2011, 09:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by irishrose
Miriam, misery loves company. I either got into something or was bitten by something Friday night and have all your symptoms, plus 8 pounds of retained fluid. I know exactly when it happened, but I was in a mowed area so I suspect a bite or bites. I have to do the grandmother of the bride thing Friday. I haven't figured that one out yet.
and you can't even call in sick.... neither could I...
Old 08-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Good and bad news. Bad news first, still looking for a part (Shuttle Bell Crank #8444) for the Singer 127 but things are looking up.

Called a CL ad for 2 machine heads for $10 and one looked like a Singer 27. The part I need is not the same on the 27 as the 127 so that part didn't work out.

The other machine is a Singer 66. Both are frozen and all the plated parts are rusted. But the decals on the 66 Redeye are very nice.

since I am going to try and get at least the 66 sewing again, they gave them both to me for FREE!!!

Oh well, more machines to clean and practice on.
Well, you couldn't ask for more. Great price. If you get them to work you'll have fine machines. You can't possibly fail - you can't ruin one that's already ruined. If you don't get it to work you have parts or a door stop and you will have learned something. You can always find the tractor guy... :roll:
Old 08-03-2011, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
II sewed on the dress I wore to first grade but couldn't write my own name - didn't do kindergarten - it's probably what's wrong with me...

poison ivy is not as weepy as yesterday - kind of crusty though
I didn't do Kindergarten, either. Back in the "olden days" :roll: :-D we started school in 1st grade. Maybe that is what was wrong with me when I was in the 8th grade I thought it would be fun to get out of doing school work by rubbing poison ivy leaves all over and between the fingers of my right hand :shock: :shock: :shock: Well, needless to say, I am 57 yrs old now but I can still remember the agony of the itch and pain that I experienced with fingers swollen, twice their size, from the rash. So, I feel your pain and hope that your poison ivy heals really quick.
I didn't do kindergarten either, but I did learn from others and got to explore outdoors. Watched my dad lay a patio with blue stone, fix his tools, mow a yard, chop a humongous tree down, and build a stone wall. Watched my mom cook, sew her own clothes, paint the house, and clean house. I climbed trees, road bikes, played in the stream down the hill, fished, collected insects, and picked blackberries for pies. Yup, much better than kindergarten.
Oh and in the summer I only wore shoes to church... had the run of the whole town, visited all the old people, threw tomato at cars and oh dear, got spanked... yeah and mom gardened, canned it all, breast fed her baby while keeping track of 3 other kids... sew clothes for all of us and taught Sunday School. I made my own doll clothes from scratch, made puppets from socks, baked cookies, dug holes almost to China in odd places, got spanked, played ball in the empty lot, rode a bike all over the neighborhood, read books, rarely watched tv, delivered papers, collected pop bottles and got 2 cents a bottle... actually went trick or treating in the whole town, played in the coal bin, got spanked, watched the old ladies tie quilts, attempted to tat, watched an old lady hook a rug... took out the church steps for the wood, got spanked... and so on... and when I grew up I homeschooled my kids and guess what my grand kids are homeschooled too. They have watched twin goats birthed, milked a goat, captured chickens, raised rabbits, cried when said chickens were killed, cried when rabbit escaped, etc. Oh and they rarely watch tv.
Wow, You got spanked a lot!

I ran around barefoot and only wore shoes to church too. My mom didn't have a green thumb for gardening in the woods, but she did let mother nature grow the prettiest Jack-in-the-pulpits, May Apples, Tulip Poplar trees, and other indigenous plants. I would build forts out of fallen tree branches in the spring and summer, and snow forts in the winter. I would jump into a huge pile of leaves that most likely had a ton of bugs and dirt, but that never mattered. Stayed up to catch lightning bugs, and tried to helped the birds that had fallen out the trees. And read lots of Trixie Belden and Nancy Drew books when older. Yup, the Norman Rockwell life! Wonderful memories!

Heehee, I have homeschooled my children too. My oldest is off at college, and my youngest is just starting high school.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Good and bad news. Bad news first, still looking for a part (Shuttle Bell Crank #8444) for the Singer 127 but things are looking up.

Called a CL ad for 2 machine heads for $10 and one looked like a Singer 27. The part I need is not the same on the 27 as the 127 so that part didn't work out.

The other machine is a Singer 66. Both are frozen and all the plated parts are rusted. But the decals on the 66 Redeye are very nice.

since I am going to try and get at least the 66 sewing again, they gave them both to me for FREE!!!

Oh well, more machines to clean and practice on.
Congrats on your FREE machines! I love deals like that!!!
Have fun!
Old 08-04-2011, 02:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
II sewed on the dress I wore to first grade but couldn't write my own name - didn't do kindergarten - it's probably what's wrong with me...

poison ivy is not as weepy as yesterday - kind of crusty though
I didn't do Kindergarten, either. Back in the "olden days" :roll: :-D we started school in 1st grade. Maybe that is what was wrong with me when I was in the 8th grade I thought it would be fun to get out of doing school work by rubbing poison ivy leaves all over and between the fingers of my right hand :shock: :shock: :shock: Well, needless to say, I am 57 yrs old now but I can still remember the agony of the itch and pain that I experienced with fingers swollen, twice their size, from the rash. So, I feel your pain and hope that your poison ivy heals really quick.
I didn't do kindergarten either, but I did learn from others and got to explore outdoors. Watched my dad lay a patio with blue stone, fix his tools, mow a yard, chop a humongous tree down, and build a stone wall. Watched my mom cook, sew her own clothes, paint the house, and clean house. I climbed trees, road bikes, played in the stream down the hill, fished, collected insects, and picked blackberries for pies. Yup, much better than kindergarten.
Oh and in the summer I only wore shoes to church... had the run of the whole town, visited all the old people, threw tomato at cars and oh dear, got spanked... yeah and mom gardened, canned it all, breast fed her baby while keeping track of 3 other kids... sew clothes for all of us and taught Sunday School. I made my own doll clothes from scratch, made puppets from socks, baked cookies, dug holes almost to China in odd places, got spanked, played ball in the empty lot, rode a bike all over the neighborhood, read books, rarely watched tv, delivered papers, collected pop bottles and got 2 cents a bottle... actually went trick or treating in the whole town, played in the coal bin, got spanked, watched the old ladies tie quilts, attempted to tat, watched an old lady hook a rug... took out the church steps for the wood, got spanked... and so on... and when I grew up I homeschooled my kids and guess what my grand kids are homeschooled too. They have watched twin goats birthed, milked a goat, captured chickens, raised rabbits, cried when said chickens were killed, cried when rabbit escaped, etc. Oh and they rarely watch tv.
Wow, You got spanked a lot!

I ran around barefoot and only wore shoes to church too. My mom didn't have a green thumb for gardening in the woods, but she did let mother nature grow the prettiest Jack-in-the-pulpits, May Apples, Tulip Poplar trees, and other indigenous plants. I would build forts out of fallen tree branches in the spring and summer, and snow forts in the winter. I would jump into a huge pile of leaves that most likely had a ton of bugs and dirt, but that never mattered. Stayed up to catch lightning bugs, and tried to helped the birds that had fallen out the trees. And read lots of Trixie Belden and Nancy Drew books when older. Yup, the Norman Rockwell life! Wonderful memories!

Heehee, I have homeschooled my children too. My oldest is off at college, and my youngest is just starting high school.
My oldest X-homeschooler is working at some high pay computer job - has a ged... LOL He would like to homeschool his son but his wife wants to put him in school - wonder who will win that one in 4 more years...

DD has her ged and is a licensed realestate broker - she manages some rental houses and she is a homeschooling mother to 4 and one on the way (boy). She sews all the dresses for her and her 3 girls.

DS is in restaurant management - never bothered with a ged.

ever hear a Denver song 'Blow up the tv?" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRz0iAxGeUE
here go entertain yourself
Old 08-04-2011, 02:21 AM

actually went trick or treating in the whole town,

Miriam, it sounds like you had a wonderful life. As children we also went trick or treating in the whole town. We even went into the bars. The customers would give us money, hit the grocery stores and the local Froster Freeze and got frosties. Life was so much simpler then. Kathie
Old 08-04-2011, 04:03 AM

Miriam,
Everything starts to itch because of "histamines" in our blood...blood travels thru out our bodies therefore the itch all over... especially where the outbreak is. You need an internal as well as an external soulution. Benadryl (capsules) and Benadryl spray will help. Both are "antihistamines". Bathe not shower in an oatmeal bath..available at drugstores. then apply the Benadryl spray after. Wear very loose clothing. If this doesn't help. see the doctor. This can very easily turn into a skin infection. Hope it helps. I know from experience. Anne
Old 08-04-2011, 04:13 AM

Photo not working ----sorry
Old 08-04-2011, 05:03 AM

Picked up this 99K last week at a thrift store. Missing the bobbin cover plate. Came with a feed dog cover plate and 4 bobbins.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-236156.jpe   attachment-236157.jpe   attachment-236158.jpe   attachment-236159.jpe  
Old 08-04-2011, 05:10 AM

Need the experts here. I've notice that some machines have a special fitting or nut that holds the spool spindle while others are press fit into the machine. Mine 99K has the special nut.