Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-03-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by jpete523
Wow!! It worked! Thanks so much, Cathy!

Jan
I'm glad I could help because that is one adorable little machine!!:shock: Awesome!! How is that handcrank attached?
Old 08-03-2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
miriam,
DH said to tell you that if you get some Jewel Weed also known as touch me not is good for the ivy. It will clear it right up. But, don't know if you have it growing in your area. It grows in a low lying moist area. If you have the jewel weed in your location break the stem and put the jelly substance on the poision oak or ivy and it will go away.
We have it in WV.
a friend of mine made some jewel weed soap - it soothes it but it isn't gone - not by any stretch. Just when I think it has quit oozing it oozes. Why does it all itch at once? If it stings, it all stings at the same time. Head to ankle. Go figure.
I've never had to try it, but I've heard good things about Tecnu. You can get it at most major drugstores. Feel better!
Old 08-03-2011, 06:57 PM

Jan-- Houston must be miserable now! At least here the humidity is around only 14%, but then I'd definitely trade that for some rain.

The insides of the one I really want to get to are really gunky. Did the alcohol cut through a lot?

Editing to add, that is such a neat little machine, just beautiful.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bennett
Jan-- Houston must be miserable now! At least here the humidity is around only 14%, but then I'd definitely trade that for some rain.

The insides of the one I really want to get to are really gunky. Did the alcohol cut through a lot?

Editing to add, that is such a neat little machine, just beautiful.
We have had record temps here too - hot humid and no rain
I like the alcohol - cuts through a lot - careful of your finish
Old 08-03-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by jpete523
Well, following Cathy's excellent directions I'm going to try again to post a picture of my pretty little Frister & Rossman hand crank.
Hope this works (fingers crossed)!

Jan
That is beautiful - I love the bouquet of flowers on it.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:13 PM

Miriam,
Try Aveeno oatmeal, found with the bath section stuff. It's soothing and does help the itch after soaking in it.
It a package of what looks like edible oatmeal that you dissolve in warm bath water. If it gets worse - Medrol pack from your doc.
I'm allergic too and both kids. We used to get it from our golden retriever when she would go over the hill and then come home and swish that big tail on our legs. Took us a while to figure out how we were getting it and hadn't been in the weeds!!
Hope ya dry up soon!
Old 08-03-2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by nickylsf
My 15K Treadle is officially restored and functional! It sews very nice stitches.
Gorgeous!!! Did you strip the cabinet or did you use something like Restore-a-Finish on it?
Hi Cathy, I restored it with the Howards products according to the tute on Treadle On. There is a spot that could have used stripping and I may yet do it some day.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Power Poster

I learned on a hand crank sewing machine. Mom took it away from me when I sewed my finger. Had to use the FW after that. I think I was 4 or 5. I sewed on the dress I wore to first grade but couldn't write my own name - didn't do kindergarten - it's probably what's wrong with me...

poison ivy is not as weepy as yesterday - kind of crusty though
Old 08-03-2011, 07:41 PM

pictures are here:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-13.htm
Old 08-03-2011, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
I learned on a hand crank sewing machine. Mom took it away from me when I sewed my finger. Had to use the FW after that. I think I was 4 or 5. I sewed on the dress I wore to first grade but couldn't write my own name - didn't do kindergarten - it's probably what's wrong with me...
I bet your "kindergarten" at home was much more rewarding and you learned more from watching your mom or whoever took care of you. :)