Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1647 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 647 1147 1547 1597 1637 1646 1647 1648 1657 1697 1747 ... LastLast
Results 41,151 to 41,175 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

I'm not familiar with "Blogging" but I can vouch for Yahoo groups which are free. I see people use them for family reunions, Treadle On get togethers, and pretty much anything. I store Davis serial numbers, old newspaper articles, and pretty much anything Davis sewing machine related in a Yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DavisSewingMachine/
    Very simple setup.

There seem to me many manufactures which very little is known about and all one turns up in a google search is a paragraph and a few pictures. Not exactly a hotbed of research going on with sewing machines but a fascinating one.

Jon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
    I'm not familiar with "Blogging" but I can vouch for Yahoo groups which are free. I see people use them for family reunions, Treadle On get togethers, and pretty much anything. I store Davis serial numbers, old newspaper articles, and pretty much anything Davis sewing machine related in a Yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DavisSewingMachine/
    Very simple setup.

There seem to me many manufactures which very little is known about and all one turns up in a google search is a paragraph and a few pictures. Not exactly a hotbed of research going on with sewing machines but a fascinating one.

Jon
    The problem with the Yahoo Groups is that those photos don't show up in a google search(at least I haven't found that to be so). So for the newbie, the person just researching, or a person that doesn't wish to become a member of so many different yahoo vintage sewing machine groups, this can make it difficult to find information through a google search. Yes, it is wonderful that those free yahoo groups have a compile of photos, but it is a TOMB.

Agreed, though sometimes you gotta be like Lara Croft and check things out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
    Agreed, though sometimes you gotta be like Lara Croft and check things out.
    Haahaa too cute!

Blog Entries
    I never played Tomb Raider since I'm not into playing video games. I understand that the character, Lara, started out as a male....she is now well endowed...more than I'll ever be. I do like to travel the world; but for now, I'll just stick with quilting and blogging. Tombs will have to wait.
    I'm still chuckling. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I have acquired a Singer 206K25. I looked up the Serial #EH148517 and saw that it was made in 1952 after March of which there were 1000 made. I was given it by a gentleman that just didn't want it anymore. It is in really pretty good shape for a machine that old. I am trying to decide if I want to keep it or sell it but I have no idea what they are worth in todays market. I would like to keep it but, I'm not sure if I will have the room for it after we move next year. I was hoping that someone could give me an idea of what it is worth. By the way I really do love this site. Anything you want to know you can find out on here. Thank Heavens for smart, smart women.
    Beth Dishong
    Grandma and Lover of All Things Fabric

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beth Dishong View Post
    I have acquired a Singer 206K25. I looked up the Serial #EH148517 and saw that it was made in 1952 after March of which there were 1000 made. I was given it by a gentleman that just didn't want it anymore. It is in really pretty good shape for a machine that old. I am trying to decide if I want to keep it or sell it but I have no idea what they are worth in todays market. I would like to keep it but, I'm not sure if I will have the room for it after we move next year. I was hoping that someone could give me an idea of what it is worth. By the way I really do love this site. Anything you want to know you can find out on here. Thank Heavens for smart, smart women.
    I recently bought a 206 - does zig zag and straight stitch - nice heavy duty machine - a real tank. It will last for many many more years unlike what you could buy new. It is worth what ever someone will pay - but not a whole lot... too bad. I see stuff on CL for a couple hundred and they sit forever.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

206 is a nice machine. Very heavy duty. It does take specialized needles but they are readily available.

I lucked into a fantastic find yesterday that I would like to tell you about. Here is the page with the pictures on it. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...207877-10.html
    I found a Brother Opus that is NOS (new old Stock). That is right, it was never used. It still had a sticker on the slideplate and on the stop motion knob. They would have been worn off if it had been used at all. Especially the one on the slideplate. I also picked up a nice White Rotary too. Both were in cabinets, and both cabinets were in good condition too.
    I took a week or two off and my first day back I had two follow me home. Dare I say Oh Brother?
    ~G~

Vintagemotif/Monica,
    Katie Farmer's White picture albums were on Webshots. They decided to "fix" Webshots and ruined a good thing. I had my photos on Webshots and now I can't access them. The new website is "Smiles", it won't accept my user ID or password, so I've lost everything that was in my Web shots albums.
    Sharon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    Vintagemotif/Monica,
    Katie Farmer's White picture albums were on Webshots. They decided to "fix" Webshots and ruined a good thing. I had my photos on Webshots and now I can't access them. The new website is "Smiles", it won't accept my user ID or password, so I've lost everything that was in my Web shots albums.
    Sharon
    Sharon, Thanks! That's sad that you lost everything since it doesn't accept your password. I'm sure you are frustrated with "Smiles". I would be. Do you have images on your computer still? Downloads? I hope so.
    Now that Webshots is gone, there are fewer images of sewing machine to be found. I guess many folks were using Webshots that collected vintage machines. Sadly, many of those images are now gone too.

I learned how to identify machines by some of those photos. I would compare them to some of the machines ThayerRags has posted on his site since he has named all of his machine. I would google X machine and images of machines X, Y and Z would show. It was my way of learning. I would then figure out what machine Y and Z would be through google searches. It was a learning game for me. And that is how I discovered many other wonderful sites.
    I found Quilting Board by a google search of quilting with vintage machines. Oh well...hopeful folks will make a simple blog of their machines so that others can use them as a reference tool.

There are many resources for machine ID and information, but ya'll are right--every time we lose a big site like Needlebar or Katie Farmer's, it's a sad day in Sewing Machine World.

I've been hunting for some info tonight myself, and am in hopes someone here might know. I picked up an American #1 treadle today, and am trying to find the serial number. This machine does not have the shield-shaped badge with serial # on the front, instead it has a round badge. Ideas? Thanks for any input.
    Miz Johnny

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny View Post
    There are many resources for machine ID and information, but ya'll are right--every time we lose a big site like Needlebar or Katie Farmer's, it's a sad day in Sewing Machine World.

I've been hunting for some info tonight myself, and am in hopes someone here might know. I picked up an American #1 treadle today, and am trying to find the serial number. This machine does not have the shield-shaped badge with serial # on the front, instead it has a round badge. Ideas? Thanks for any input.
    Miz Johnny! You're collection has grown again! Ok, since no one else has answered, I'll take a stab at helping you. First, does your machine look like this one? Here is a post from last year on QB from QuilterGary:http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...o-t191438.html

Name:  Screen shot 2013-04-17 at 10.24.52 PM.png
Views: 453
Size:  401.7 KB Name:  Screen shot 2013-04-17 at 10.25.00 PM.png
Views: 418
Size:  345.2 KB
    This plate has some dates on it that may be of help to you if this is similar machine.

Second, Taken from Sewalot(his site is very informative): http://www.sewalot.com/american_sewing_machine.htm

"You have to be a bit careful as there were several companies using the American on their sewing machines such as Goodrich, National, Weir and New Home. Several were available from the giant Sears mail order company of North America. Even James Weir advertised one of his models as the American Hand Sewing Machine."

Lastly, http://website.lineone.net/~lindave/american.htm

That's all the information I could find. Please post a photo of your machine for us to see!

Monica,
    I have some of the pictures still in my computer. However the pictures from earlier than 2009 are all lost as we had a data corrupting trojan that trashed the hard drive.
    Sharon

Yes, it has, I'm sorry to say. I just couldn't pass this one up!! I did find that the serial number is around the spool pin, under the felt and a screw. Mine dates to 1870, probably within a year or so of the one you pictured. Mine is in slightly better shape, but only slightly. The coffin top is in pieces, but I think it can be put back together. I am looking forward to working on it. I can't post pics right now due to computer issues, but will do so when I get them resolved!!
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Miz Johnny! You're collection has grown again! Ok, since no one else has answered, I'll take a stab at helping you. First, does your machine look like this one? Here is a post from last year on QB from QuilterGary:http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...o-t191438.html

Name:  Screen shot 2013-04-17 at 10.24.52 PM.png
Views: 453
Size:  401.7 KB Name:  Screen shot 2013-04-17 at 10.25.00 PM.png
Views: 418
Size:  345.2 KB
    This plate has some dates on it that may be of help to you if this is similar machine.

Second, Taken from Sewalot(his site is very informative): http://www.sewalot.com/american_sewing_machine.htm

"You have to be a bit careful as there were several companies using the American on their sewing machines such as Goodrich, National, Weir and New Home. Several were available from the giant Sears mail order company of North America. Even James Weir advertised one of his models as the American Hand Sewing Machine."

Lastly, http://website.lineone.net/~lindave/american.htm

That's all the information I could find. Please post a photo of your machine for us to see!
    Miz Johnny

Blog Entries
    Just wanted to pop in say a huge Thanks for all the information i learn from all of you that are so willing to share-Thank-you!!!
    Dee Lowe
    Las Vegas Nv.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craftiladi View Post
    Just wanted to pop in say a huge Thanks for all the information i learn from all of you that are so willing to share-Thank-you!!!
    I think we all learn a lot here - it's what it's about
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Grant, there were lots and lots of 99 clones made after the war. From what I understand, we gave the Japanese the plans for Singer 15's and the 99. I have a 99 clone that says "Made in Occupied Japan." We seem to find a lot more 15 clones than 99 clones, but they are out there and really cute too, although, I have not seen a 99 clone any color other than black!

Nancy
    I also have a clone badged "Made in Occupied Japan". Mine is an Admiral. Black 15 clone.

I thought that I would share a neat little tip today. If you have a screw in a tight space and the screwdriver shaft might mar the paint or chrome, tape a piece of a plastic drinking straw to the shaft. It will protect the paint if they come in contact with each other. It is cheap and easy insurance against damaged paint.
    ~G~

Name:  screwdriver straw.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  368.4 KB

Hey all I've been MIA for a few days while it has been crazy around here (as usual). Hubby is 15 minutes away for a training class but they're requiring him to stay out there overnight so he's gone. My oldest son went in this morning for his spinal cord surgery to fix a tethered cord, and is currently recovering. He'll be discharged tomorrow. All went well. I got my gorgeous Jones treadle all safe and sound from SteveH in California and got it assembled with some phone tech support from Steve and his wonderful girlfriend. I can't begin to tell you how wonderfully well it was packed for shipping all the way to Texas!. She still needs a basic cleaning but she is soooooo pretty! I think she's now my favorite--at least until my Willcox & Gibbs arrives.

I'm having a huge estate sale this coming weekend and I'm thinning the herd a bit of the more "modern" vintage machines I have. There's about 20 or so I plan to find new homes for.

I know this is not "sewing machine related" but....

I just posted an Album with pictures before and after doing a complete redo of a 1961 Craftsman 109 Mini Lathe.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/members/steveh-u85067-albums18283.html

I expected to use this to produce new screws for old machines, but it is not accurate enough for that. I will be selling this and acquiring a better thread cutting lathe.

There is a sewing machine in a couple of shots (for size reference) and if you look closely you can see some of the new Singer VS2 slides I am working on, so it is not completely inappropriate for here...

Quote Originally Posted by jennb View Post
    ... I got my gorgeous Jones treadle all safe and sound from SteveH in California and got it assembled with some phone tech support from Steve and his wonderful girlfriend... at least until my Willcox & Gibbs arrives.
    Jennb, I am hoping to get that Beautiful Willcox and Gibbs treadle unit packed up this week. I need the room....

I just modified the OLD singer treadle base that Laura was kind enough to re-home to me and got the White Model A installed and spinning. So cool. Of all of the machines I have this one has the least amount of resistance to rotating. it practically freewheels... Unfortunately I do not have the room to bring it in right now so I ended up removing the machine and covering up the base...frump....

Hi Steve.

Beautiful job on the lathe. I have a craftsman / Atlas 101 6x18 lathe and a Unimat DB200. The Atlas is a size larger and the Unimat a little smaller than your 109. Both of mine are probably considered "toys" by serious Machinists but they work well for me on small projects. Never cut any threads on the Atlas but I have all the gears if I feel the need. Which lathe are you looking to buy?

Jon

i have found the serial number of my Gritzner hand crank, thanks to the help of Mizkaki, and am now wondering if anyone has any idea of when my machine was made. The serial number is + 65414 7 Yes, there is a plus sign before the number and the 7 is a little lower and farther apart from the last 4 than the distance between the other numbers. I have seen a Gritzner that has a serial number of 1819892 on the web that 'they' date as C1907. I'm thinking that mine is a bit earlier than that. Do they actually have the + sign and are calling it a 1? The name plate on mine has Gritzner in a half circle at the top of the plate, Durlach curved up the other way at the bottom of the plate, with a spider, then TRADE MARK written below it, with only one word on a line. Does this help in identifying it at all for anyone reading this? Thanks for any help you can give.

Here is where Caroline S kindly posted my photos of my Gritzner hand crank on the vintage site. It shows a picture of the name plate of my machine. I had forgotten that the word PATENT was above the spider.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...130994-53.html
    Has anyone seen a Gritzner with this name plate?