Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-04-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by grayhare
I have not seen this machine in person yet. It comes in a box type cabinet, couldn't download picture. I really don't know anything about it yet. It belonged to his grandma. He is asking 250. What do you all think?
Too much money.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:29 PM

Psychonurse- I bought it from an OSMG. Went to get a belt I needed and made him an offer he accepted!

Jan
Old 08-04-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by jljack
Would anyone have a clue about this machine? It's a 15, I know, but it looks like one of the newer Taiwan ones, but in a bentwood case? This is confusing to me....????

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8330191
Janice that machine is one of the reproductions made in Taichung, Taiwan. They started making the ND to NY machines in 1963, but I'd bet that machine is much newer - like in the 1980's. Those repro's, where they tried to copy the original
decals, are kind of gaudy looking. Besides, the machine is not the workmanship/quality of the original.
http://www.servirem.com.ar/nueva.html

Nancy

Nancy, I'm confused on this one. I think the "motor number ... E143658" quoted in the ad is a typo and should be "model number". If that's the case then this is a Singer but model numbers starting with "E" have been lost. I think I'll send them an email and ask for verification.

Jan
Old 08-04-2011, 02:54 PM

oHHHHHH, Miriam, I am so sorry you are suffering.

How precious, though, for your grandchild to wonder if you were melting. Hope your suffering comes to an end very soon. :-( :-( :-(
Old 08-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by greenini
Couple of questions: no responses to my questions about the "bloom" on the finish of my 301: any ideas?
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1366.htm#3782249

Also: my DH is wanting to pull the motor off the 15-91 which seems to work fine and clear out all the "gunk". While he is kinda mechanical I am leaning to adding grease and oil and letting it alone before pulling the pot off. What do you all think?

And finally, my book for the 15-91 says to put 1/2 a tube of Singer motor grease in the holes. How much grease does that come to in today's terms and who sells the proper grease?

thanks a lot I know someone will have the answers! :lol:
Never refurbished a motor, I just toss motors into my box of parts, but....
Here is the Sew Classics link to refurbishing the motor: http://blog.sew-classic.com/2009/02/...hats-that.aspx

I only use the Singer sewing machine grease, lubricant.
if you aren't comfortable refurbishing the motor take just the motor to a motor repair shop and have them do it - well worth it
Old 08-04-2011, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
II sewed on the dress I wore to first grade but couldn't write my own name - didn't do kindergarten - it's probably what's wrong with me...

poison ivy is not as weepy as yesterday - kind of crusty though
I didn't do Kindergarten, either. Back in the "olden days" :roll: :-D we started school in 1st grade. Maybe that is what was wrong with me when I was in the 8th grade I thought it would be fun to get out of doing school work by rubbing poison ivy leaves all over and between the fingers of my right hand :shock: :shock: :shock: Well, needless to say, I am 57 yrs old now but I can still remember the agony of the itch and pain that I experienced with fingers swollen, twice their size, from the rash. So, I feel your pain and hope that your poison ivy heals really quick.
I didn't do kindergarten either, but I did learn from others and got to explore outdoors. Watched my dad lay a patio with blue stone, fix his tools, mow a yard, chop a humongous tree down, and build a stone wall. Watched my mom cook, sew her own clothes, paint the house, and clean house. I climbed trees, road bikes, played in the stream down the hill, fished, collected insects, and picked blackberries for pies. Yup, much better than kindergarten.
Oh and in the summer I only wore shoes to church... had the run of the whole town, visited all the old people, threw tomato at cars and oh dear, got spanked... yeah and mom gardened, canned it all, breast fed her baby while keeping track of 3 other kids... sew clothes for all of us and taught Sunday School. I made my own doll clothes from scratch, made puppets from socks, baked cookies, dug holes almost to China in odd places, got spanked, played ball in the empty lot, rode a bike all over the neighborhood, read books, rarely watched tv, delivered papers, collected pop bottles and got 2 cents a bottle... actually went trick or treating in the whole town, played in the coal bin, got spanked, watched the old ladies tie quilts, attempted to tat, watched an old lady hook a rug... took out the church steps for the wood, got spanked... and so on... and when I grew up I homeschooled my kids and guess what my grand kids are homeschooled too. They have watched twin goats birthed, milked a goat, captured chickens, raised rabbits, cried when said chickens were killed, cried when rabbit escaped, etc. Oh and they rarely watch tv.
LOL... love your story of growing up. Before I got to the end my comment would have been that you were learning; and learning more than if you were in school (kindergarten). I homeschooled my five kids for over 17 years and loved it. By having the kids at home and teaching them; I learned a ton myself.

:thumbup:
Old 08-04-2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Would anyone have a clue about this machine? It's a 15, I know, but it looks like one of the newer Taiwan ones, but in a bentwood case? This is confusing to me....????

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8330191
I have one, a clone yes, bentwood case, yes. I'd love to have another one, but the shipping is more than I wanat to pay.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by grayhare
I have not seen this machine in person yet. It comes in a box type cabinet, couldn't download picture. I really don't know anything about it yet. It belonged to his grandma. He is asking 250. What do you all think?
Too much money.
I agree with vintagemotif too much money.
Glenn
Old 08-04-2011, 03:19 PM

Cathy, Monica, Kathie, and Miriam I loved reading about the good 'ole' days of youth. I spent all my time on a horse or pretending to be a horse! I was not home schooled, but have some great memories of riding the bus into town to go to school, as we lived on a working cattle ranch!

Lee, very nice 99! Those 99s are great little work horses.

Nancy
My sweet GD (now almost 13) has enjoyed many hours of pretending she was a horse. She even had her Dad make extended front legs for her. He made about an 8" 2x4 with a flat piece of wood across the top so she could bend over and hold on to the extention and gallop with her brother on her back. She amused us with her realistic whinnee (spelling?)... She now has goats and a small horse to ride on.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:21 PM

Cathy, Monica, Kathie, and Miriam I loved reading about the good 'ole' days of youth. I spent all my time on a horse or pretending to be a horse! I was not home schooled, but have some great memories of riding the bus into town to go to school, as we lived on a working cattle ranch!

Lee, very nice 99! Those 99s are great little work horses.

Nancy
I was not home schooled either. I can only wish... I was a victim of the public school. I was a full year younger than most of my class. I was a tad bit dyslexic. I was teased for growing a head full of red hair. I was skinny and uncoordinated. I had terrible grades. Then my sister had it worse. AW heck not much has changed...
I wasn't homeschooled either. I remember waiting at the bus stop, riding the bus, antics in school, and being totally bored.