Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-13-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Nancy....there is a coffin top for sale on eBay for only 19.99. It only has one day left and there haven't been any bidders. Not sure if you would be interested but you can look at it here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Singer-T...#ht_500wt_1156
Cabbagepatchkid, thank you. That top looks like the right one for my machine. It has 23 hours to go, so I am going to watch it for a while before I bid!

Kathie, thank you for calling me!

Nancy
Old 03-13-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Wilcox & Gibbs machine on my local Craigslist: http://fresno.craigslist.org/atq/2263665880.html What do you think of the $250 pricetag?
QuiltnCowgirl, that is pretty cool -- the machine has a box and everything. That Wilcox & Gibbs is much newer than mine with a motor and all, but it sure looks nice. I think, I'd wait and see if they'll lower the price a little.

Nancy
Old 03-13-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Providence, R.I. Craigslist----Here is a beauty of a New Home coffin top treadle sewing machine. Check out the detail on that cabinet :shock: Seller is only asking $95.00:
http://providence.craigslist.org/atq/2262809452.html
That cabinet and machine are just beautiful! I am glad it is nowhere near me!!!!! I have to stop! Actually, I am going to hold out now for two machines I really want!

Nancy
Old 03-13-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by Weedwoman
I can't find a pic of that decal anywhere but it is a 27 serial #186012. Maybe the head was not the original for that cabinet. I couldn't get any history of the machine at all.

Has anybody made slide off decals for their machines? I'd like to make some for Elvira (a little on the dark side) just for fun.
Just wondering if anyone had given that a try.
lol... do you mean like the 'cling' vinyls that kids put on the windows at holiday times? Or do you mean like flexible magnetic ones, like fridge magnets? I'm having fun just imagining... the possibilities! :mrgreen:
No, you buy special ink jet paper that you print and treat and then you water slide it off onto the surface you want the decal on. Pretty nifty stuff. I think I'll give it a try. You can decal lots of things and I love techy stuff to play with.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Opened up the model 27 and I don't have any idea what the decals are called. They are still on but there are very few of them. Not ornate at all like some you see. I did notice the pitman is wood and the irons are in good shape. Everything just needs a good cleaning and oiled. My pics aren't very good but I'll post anyway.
Weedwoman, I haven't seen that decal. Is this the 1902 machine? A wood pitman usually means it is a pre 1900 machine. The machine is very pretty and looks like it is in great shape except for the decals silvering, which is common.

Nancy
I can't find a pic of that decal anywhere but it is a 27 serial #186012. Maybe the head was not the original for that cabinet. I couldn't get any history of the machine at all.

Has anybody made slide off decals for their machines? I'd like to make some for Elvira (a little on the dark side) just for fun.
Just wondering if anyone had given that a try.
There was a website selling machine decals, but I believe they have stopped doing so.
One of my friends puts decals (especially those from the 50s and 60s--the modern ones tend to be very thin, and will tear easily) on her Japanese machines. They look great!!

I believe that is a newer machine in the cabinet. The cabinet is Eastlake. All of the machines I've seen in the Eastlake cabinet have had Sphinx machines in them. I'm not saying it couldn't be original; but I doubt it. What is the date of your machine?
My machine is a 1902 with very plain decals but I do have a 27 with sphnix decals. I might put that head in the cabinet to keep it more original. thanks for telling me the name of the cabinet. I couldn't find info on it.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:06 PM

[quote=Weedwoman]
Opened up the model 27 and I don't have any idea what the decals are called. They are still on but there are very few of them.

Weedwoman, I haven't seen that decal. Is this the 1902 machine? A wood pitman usually means it is a pre 1900 machine. The machine is very pretty and looks like it is in great shape except for the decals silvering, which is common.

Nancy

Ok, now I am really confused? You say you have a 27 with a S# of 186012? That would put your machine sometime between the 1850 and 1860's? Does it have a traverse shuttle? If that is the correct serial number for your machine it is not a 27.

I am really confused - what do you have - have you posted pictures of this machine and I missed them? That serial number indicates a very, very, very old machine - before 27's were made.

Nancy
Old 03-13-2011, 07:09 PM

The sewing machine fairy stopped by again tonight and I caught him. A stranger brought me a 301W. He is actually a friend of my daughter and he said that this is the first machine that HE brought. HMMMM... Anyway, here are some phots of this SMELLY, FILTHY machine. Anyone have any info for me??
Attached Thumbnails attachment-169547.jpe   attachment-169548.jpe   attachment-169549.jpe   attachment-169550.jpe   attachment-169551.jpe  

attachment-169552.jpe  
Old 03-13-2011, 07:11 PM

Nancy, I have 3 66's, the 1917 is a back clamp, the 1919 and the 1924 are both side clamps.
Yip! This just proves that there was no logical reason that I can see why some of the very old 66's had side clamps and some had back clamps! Probably was a personal choice!

Nancy
Old 03-13-2011, 07:14 PM

[quote=BoJangles]
Opened up the model 27 and I don't have any idea what the decals are called. They are still on but there are very few of them.

Nancy

Ok, now I am really confused? You say you have a 27 with a S# of 186012? That would put your machine sometime between the 1850 and 1860's? Does it have a traverse shuttle? If that is the correct serial number for your machine it is not a 27.

I am really confused - what do you have - have you posted pictures of this machine and I missed them? That serial number indicates a very, very, very old machine - before 27's were made.

Nancy
Ok, it's late and I think I've got monitor eye blur going on. I forgot to put a K in front of the numbers, that changes it, huh. lol OMG, I must go to bed and begin anew tomorrow. Sorry for all the confusion. I did post pics of the 27 in the last few pages.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by pennijanine
The sewing machine fairy stopped by again tonight and I caught him. A stranger brought me a 301W. He is actually a friend of my daughter and he said that this is the first machine that HE brought. HMMMM... Anyway, here are some phots of this SMELLY, FILTHY machine. Anyone have any info for me??
Wow, I love this site -- we get to see different machines everyday! Of course, you know the 'Ws' are the serial numbers that got lost! Penni, I see the 'W' started about 1911, but that is not a 1911 machine! Another mystery! I bet it cleans up real pretty!

Nancy