Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1200 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 200 700 1100 1150 1190 1199 1200 1201 1210 1250 1300 1700 ... LastLast
Results 29,976 to 30,000 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
    Jon, where do you find these things! Geeze, did anyone else look at this link? It is a miracle our species ever survived! That is a very interesting bunch of ads and quite scarey!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Bo Jangles that is a beautiful Wilcox Gibbs set up. My hat is off to your DH for tackling a painted cabinet. That is a lot of work!! Just beautiful !!

Texas Jan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Nancy, You said "Cathy if anyone can find out if there was a chain stitch attachment for any of the models I own, it would be you!"

Boy, is that a high pedestal that you have just put on me. I am a collector and a mechanic, but not a great historian or researcher.

I did just finished searching the needlebar site and the Historical Trade Literature in the Smithsonian Collection with no results.
    My personal knowledge of treadle and hand crank machines that convert by use of a "chain stitch spider" are some White Rotaries, some Domestic VS machines and some Standards (both Slims and Stouts). There are also some later (1970-80) Kenmores that convert and the infamous Singer Touch & Sew series. Maybe someone else can add to this info.

Cathy
    Ok, I have about 40 antique/vintage machines, but not one of the ones you mentioned. Maybe, I will just have to start using the electric W&G's I posted earlier! It would be so fun to have the spider chain stitch attachment, though, for a treadle!

Monica, how did you discover that you had the machine that was capable of the chain stitch? I think you told us, but I forget? Was it an accident or did one of your manuals tell you about the chain stitch attachment?

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by buslady View Post
    I am/was so stoked. My hopping foot for my 301 came and the new cord. I rewired the foot pedal and put on the new foot. It sews like a dream!! Sloop, I made up a practice sandwich and practiced for a while til I was comfortable with my work. Again, the stitches are beautiful! So I start free motion on my project. Still beautiful stitches. Did about a 12 inch square, then, all of a sudden it started skipping stitches. At first it would sew8-10 st inches then skip for an inch, then after a couple of these cycles it started skipping more than it stitched. I've checked the upper thread and bobbin, all seems good. Anyone experience this? Any ideas how to remedy? TIA
    Buslady, I know you guys all love your 301's! That is one machine I don't have, but I hope I get one soon; anyway, why don't you get a Singer model 15, or a Japanese model 15 clone to free motion with? Those 15's are great for FM. I think some of the members on here also FM with their 201's, but I don't have a 201. I have no need for one since I love to FM on my Singer 15-88 treadle. I also have a couple Pfaff's that do great with FM along with the Davis Vertical Feed. Maybe, you should just piece with the 301? I know you 301 lovers don't yell at me - like I said I don't have a 301 yet!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
    Bo Jangles that is a beautiful Wilcox Gibbs set up. My hat is off to your DH for tackling a painted cabinet. That is a lot of work!! Just beautiful !!

Texas Jan
    Yep, he really growled at me for even buying that set up, but because he fell in love with the little W&G's machine, he decided to help me finish the cabinet! I am not so sure I'd want to do that again! If we ever do it again, it would have to be for a very special machine like the W&G's!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Charlee, I too want to say how sorry I am to hear about the loss of your sister.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

Trish

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone. Nancy, yes. She had been in ill health for many years, actually. Last year had a septupal (is that the word I want? SIX artery ) cardiac bypass, and was a diabetic. She had another heart attack last month. Her husband thinks she slipped into a diabetic coma while she was napping. She was 66 years old.

Thanks for the compliments on the stool too. I almost didn't buy it because it looked so ratty, and I've never done anything like that before, but I'd really like to have one to go with each of my 50's - 60's cabinets, so thought I'd at least give it a shot. I was just going to use some fabric for it, but the SU suggested the vinyl, so we went to look...I was thinking that if it was too expensive I'd stick with the fabric I had, which is a heavier polished cotton tablecloth type stuff. With my "senior" (55 and over get a 15% discount at Hancock's every 1st and 3rd Wednesday!) the vinyl and cording cost $7, and I have more than enough vinyl left to do two more if need be! Pretty simple to do, and it turned into a fun project for the two of us to do together.
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Charlee, your family is in my thoughts. I'm sorry to hear of your loss.
    I have a screw driver and YouTube--I can fix it!

Blog Entries
    Charlee, so sorry to hear of your sister's passing. Long illness or not, it's a hard thing to lose someone so close to you. My prayers are with you and your family for peace and comfort at this time.

Love the stool!! It's darling.

Nancy, great job on the refinishing. Looks GREAT! I won't beat you with a stick for recommending not FMQ with the 301 :> I FMQ with my 301 last weekend for 10 hours straight and it's a wonderful model.

Charlee, so sorry to hear the news:<

Charlee,
    I'm sorry to hear of your sister's passing. Big hugs for you and your family, your sister is in a better place now free of pain.
    Sharon W.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Attachment 304343Attachment 304342Attachment 304341Cathy if anyone can find out if there was a chain stitch attachment for any of the models I own, it would be you! I do have a couple Wilcox and Gibbs, and yes they make a beautiful chain stitch, but it would be fun if I could do that with one of my treadles - the ones I actually use! I don't use the Wilcox and Gibbs! The one my husband refurbished, from a broken down painted black treadle to a very nice original look is just so nice I don't want to mess it up. I do have an old electric Wilcox and Gibbs, with a hunking big motor that scares me, but it does have a beautiful stitch!Nancy

Oh here is the Wilcox and Gibbs my DH refurbished! I will try and post the original too!

Ok I have the before and after of the Wilcox and Gibbs! I know all you guys that have been on this shop have seen this before, but for the newer people I just love to show these pictures of a before and after treadle!
    Wow,those before and afters are fantastic! What a wonderful job - wouldn't even think it would be possible to do that!

Blog Entries
    Charlee, so sorry to hear of your loss. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Blog Entries
    Charlee;
    Sorry to hear of your sister's passing. You, William and rest of family are in my thoughts and prayers.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Blog Entries
    Buslady, I know you guys all love your 301's! That is one machine I don't have, but I hope I get one soon; anyway, why don't you get a Singer model 15, or a Japanese model 15 clone to free motion with? Those 15's are great for FM. I think some of the members on here also FM with their 201's, but I don't have a 201. I have no need for one since I love to FM on my Singer 15-88 treadle. I also have a couple Pfaff's that do great with FM along with the Davis Vertical Feed. Maybe, you should just piece with the 301? I know you 301 lovers don't yell at me - like I said I don't have a 301 yet!

Nancy
    Actually, I read on here somewhere that the 301 is a good FM machine, that is why I got the foot I needed and got it running. I have a 15, and a 201. The 15 has not been cleaned up and tested yet, I bought it off someone here on the board over a year ago. So many machines, so little time. This d*&%$mn job seems to take up too much of my time. LOL I guess I have to remember that without it I wouldn't be able to buy the machines. I just keep thinking that when/if I ever get to retire I will have all these toys to keep me busy. Maybe I'll have to try out the 201 for the FM, or get DH to work on the 15. My next project was supposed to be my 66 Redeye that I put the hand crank on. Gotta love them old ladies!!!!!!!!!!!
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Nancy, great job on the refinishing. Looks GREAT! I won't beat you with a stick for recommending not FMQ with the 301 :> I FMQ with my 301 last weekend for 10 hours straight and it's a wonderful model.

Charlee, so sorry to hear the news:<
    Candace, do you ever have trouble with it skipping stitches? If so, how did you deal with it? I am really looking for a good machine to FM with. I have tried my 2 modern Janomes and get soooooo frustrated! I have about 9 or 10 tops that need quilted and don't want to spend the money to hire a long armer, $$$ tight these days. But my sanity is worth something. LOL
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Blog Entries
    Charlee, Our prayers are with you and yours. Sorry for your loss.
    Onalee Rose

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by buslady View Post
    Actually, I read on here somewhere that the 301 is a good FM machine, that is why I got the foot I needed and got it running. I have a 15, and a 201. The 15 has not been cleaned up and tested yet, I bought it off someone here on the board over a year ago. So many machines, so little time. This d*&%$mn job seems to take up too much of my time. LOL I guess I have to remember that without it I wouldn't be able to buy the machines. I just keep thinking that when/if I ever get to retire I will have all these toys to keep me busy. Maybe I'll have to try out the 201 for the FM, or get DH to work on the 15. My next project was supposed to be my 66 Redeye that I put the hand crank on. Gotta love them old ladies!!!!!!!!!!!
    I haven't had much luck FMQ with my 201...but my 15-91 ROCKS!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

Blog Entries

Monica, how did you discover that you had the machine that was capable of the chain stitch? I think you told us, but I forget? Was it an accident or did one of your manuals tell you about the chain stitch attachment?

Nancy
    I don't own the manual. The machine came with part of a White manual, which was my clue that this machine's hand wheel turns away and not forward.

Funny, I can't remember where, but I think it was here on the QB that someone mentioned a "spider" for chain stitching. From that posting, I realized my mystery attachment was the "spider". Since I don't own a manual, I had to figure out how the mechanism fits into the machine and work. I couldn't figure out the hemmer. I asked around, and it was one of the gals on the yahoo Gold Country TOGA group that had the answer and directions for me to follow.

Blog Entries
    Charlee, This picture is for you today. I loved your thread that you started on proper attire while sewing.http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...g-t175731.html

My mom owned a Necchi Supernova, which I learned to sew on and sewed with for years. My mom was always dressed nicely back then, just that she never worn her cocktail dress while sewing. She still does dress nicely now, just in blue jeans. At 80, she still wears her makeup, shoes in house, and has pretty nails.

Anyhow...<<HUGS>>

Name:  Screen shot 2012-01-17 at 9.13.41 PM.png
Views: 287
Size:  205.5 KB

Blog Entries
    I LOVE it Monica!! Thanks for the grin....

Charlee, I'm sending good thoughts.
    Miz Johnny

Blog Entries

Finished my 1881 Singer Model 12

Last summer I bought this fiddlebase Singer off CL. I had to get another boat shuttle for it, but the rest of it was intact. There was little paint left on her, so I knew she would be a repaint. The veneer was off the top of the table, but it was hardwood in 4 pieces underneath. I haven't got her sewing yet, as the shuttle is rubbing on the feed dogs, but she is pretty to look at. Now to find a coffin top for her and maybe a drawer or two. The seller has restored a police car just like the one in Mayberry RFD, the old Andy Griffith show. I decided to name this machine Beatrice, after the Mayberry Aunt Bea.
    Many thanks to Glenn for all his help and guidance.

Texas Jan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Jan, you did a great job on the machine and the table. This is some good work here.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Nancy, everytime I see the Gibbs cabinet I am amazed at what a great job you and your husband did in removing the black paint. That was no small task. Pat your self on the back agian.
    Glenn W. Cleveland